PDA

View Full Version : Align center in Layout?

Designer
01-13-2006, 07:21 PM
I made a car, and I want to align the axis of the back wheels to a Null (so I can spin them with the Null)

But how do I align the Null's center to the back wheels's center? I only know to do it by hand (which can be inaccurate). Is there a tool to help me do that? Align to center in Layout?

riki
01-13-2006, 09:20 PM
I'm no expert but this is how I'd probably approach it.

Use the pivot point tool in modeler to align the pivot for the back wheels (in a seperate layer). In modeler there's also a tool which lets you align pivot to an objects bounding box. So then you can take it into layout set your wheels to spin on it's own pivot, not around a null. You can then parent to a null to add secondary motion.

Designer
01-13-2006, 11:12 PM
thanks for the suggestion

I wonder if it's possible to do it all in Layout? Align an object's pivot to
for example, a point of on an object I choose, or just center the pivot to an object's bounding box inside Layout? Other packages I remember can do this rather simply....

toonafish
01-14-2006, 08:13 AM
out of the box you could use "parent in place". Just parent an object to another one with parent in place OFF, and then unparent it with parent in place ON.

But I use this plugin a lot for stuff like that:
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/archives/plugins/VectorCP/doce/index.html

It lets you not only copy and paste Rotation, Postion and Scale keys from one object to another ( local or world ) but it does the same for a whole bunch of objects at a time.

Big timesaver.

toonafish
01-14-2006, 08:31 AM
Oops, sorry. Didn't read your post properly.

It's mucho easyer to center the pivot in Modeler as Riki said. But if you insist on doing it in Layout you could download this Lscript:
http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1415
Never used it because it seems to work only with single ayered objects.

Or you could add Cloth Dynamics to your wheels, record a few frames, then go to the "editFX" tab, select a the point in the center of the object with the EditTool and use "MakePath" to create a Null with the position of the selected point.

Don't you just love LW :D

Designer
01-14-2006, 11:56 PM
Hey thanks for the hints! I guess modeler is the prefer way to center pivots (and easiest too) for most cases. There is always some work around in LW cool!

toonafish
01-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Hey thanks for the hints! I guess modeler is the prefer way to center pivots (and easiest too) for most cases. There is always some work around in LW cool!

Lightwave is one big workaround :-/