PDA

View Full Version : Which tutorials for a wrecking ball thru wall?

Turner
01-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Hi all -

Just wondering if anyone can recommend tutorials for the elements I'd need to be able to achieve to create a wrecking ball smashing a wall.

Though there probably isn't a "wrecking ball" tutorial, I guess I'm looking for how to set up not only a "smashable" wall but also a correctly-swinging wrecking ball.

Any leads appreciated-

thx
Andrew

Axis3d
01-13-2006, 01:33 PM
I seem to remember a tutorial in a past issue of 3D World magazine or something. It was about that very topic. I'll have to check what issue it was when I get home.
I notice that you live near me. Have you been using Lightwave long? Do you freelance? I am always on the lookout for freelance LW animator/modelers in the area.

Axis3d
01-14-2006, 01:49 PM
Issue 54 of 3D World magazine has a good tutorial on smashing a ball through a brick wall.

Turner
01-15-2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks guys -

But I don't have that magazine... can you tell me what mechanics I should concentrate on using?

e.g. bones, hard body dynamics?

FWIW I'm a long-time 3d user but a novice LW user.... I'm trying to change that in order to take advantage of the physics in LW.

Currently, I usually go with Carrara 5 Pro for rendering/animation and Apple's Motion for compositing.

Thx
Andrew

lesterfoster
01-15-2006, 10:40 AM
Try this link and click on the Dynamic FX Vol1 button. http://www.tutorfx.com/

Axis3d
01-15-2006, 01:33 PM
Basically - for a wall, you would create a wall in modeler by making one brick and creating an array to make the wall. This can get more complicated by creating the mortar between the bricks, but I'm going to skip that part.

Save the object. In Layout, load the wall object (all bricks should be in one layer). Under Object Properties > Dynamics Tab > Add Dynamics > HardFX. Click on HardFX to open the interface. Piece Mode defaults to Parts. This is good, since each brick represents a "part" in the object. Add some Gravity (you can use -10 just to round things off).

Under the Collision Tab, click on Start by Collision. This will keep your brick wall object stationary until the individual bricks are hit and set into motion.

Add a collision object (name it Floor) - make its Type a Plane with a 0 Radius/Level. This will give the bricks something to land on.

Add a collision object (name it Ball) - The Radius/Level defaults to 1m. You might make it bigger depending on the size of your wall. At frame 0, keyframe the ball a few meters behind your wall object. At frame 30, keyframe the ball a distance in front of the wall.

Click Calculate under the Dynamics Tab, or in Layout, click Modify > Tools > IKB Calculate. This does the same thing. Then watch the ball object collide through the wall. There are a million little settings to fiddle with to get the bricks to do what you want, but this should get you started.

kurv
01-16-2006, 08:21 AM
We have a very good dynamics video available that could be applied to this.

www.kurvstudios.com

We also have more than 150 free videos available for you as well... www.kurvstudios.com/free_tutorials

Hope this helps.

Enjoy!