PDA

View Full Version : LW 8.3 messing up scenes and object parenting.

F1Racer
01-13-2006, 11:18 AM
I wasn't sure how to title this thread, nor am I sure if I can explain the problem correctly, but I will try.

Firstly I am using 8.3 because 8.5's bugs make it unworkable for me.
So if this is a confirmed bug (although Ive only experienced it since going back to 8.3 from 8.5) that has been fixed in 8.5 then I've had it until I purchase the 9.0 upgrade.

OK, so I load up a scene. Standard scene with a curved floor/wall and a car.
The car has multiple layers and some are parented to others. (Parent in place is OFF).
Now I load up a Null object as I want to parent the car to it.
After the null is loaded, the car body (layer 1) has been renamed to the same as my curved wall. So now I have two curved wall objects listed, but if I click on the new one, it does indeed highlight the car body.
Trying to move the car around doesnt work. It won't move.
I parent it to the Null, nothing happens.
Then I select the Null and the car body whizzes off to another part in the scene (presumably where it would have ended up if my moving of the car had been taken into account before).

So so something is messed up. Ive had this problem a few times now and opening and closing the classic scene editor and moving objects around has fixed it. This time, no luck so I clear all the objects out of the scene and leave only the curved wall.

Now I load up a Null. Where it says 'Current Item' both the wall and the Null are listed. But when I select the Null from the drop down box, it flips back to the wall. So now the Null is unselectable.
Ok, so I load up the layered car anyway.... I got to parent it to this Null and its not listed in the Motion Options window.

All the time, object layers are losing their parenting, objects become unselectable and things are generally a mess.

I hope Ive explained this well because its not easy :)
Anyone experienced this little beauty before ?

toonafish
01-13-2006, 12:52 PM
yeah, I noticed this weird behaviour too a few times. Donno what causes it, the only thing I could do to fix it was reloading the scene.

I think someone already reported something like this in the 8.5 bugs thread.

Snosrap
01-15-2006, 10:47 AM
Is this http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36857 what is happening? I've had this happen alot with 8.3, but not so much if any that I recall with 8.5.

Cheers Snos

F1Racer
01-15-2006, 04:28 PM
Snosrap: Yeah thats it!
Double-named objects and then clearing them just makes things worse.
Strange thing is I dont ever recall seeing this when I first used 8.3.
When I came back down from 8.5 to 8.3 I did it with a clean install too.

Snosrap
01-15-2006, 08:22 PM
Like I said, 8.5 seems to have corrected this bug, but now there is a problem with images getting disorganized in the image editor. Same type of thing that's happening here, but with images. Overall however I think 8.5 is pretty solid.

Snos

F1Racer
01-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Hmmmm I'm sure I experienced this same bug in 8.5 also.
Anyay I wont be going back to 8.5 because of memory bugs it has.
Its unworkable for me.

I`ll have to put up with it and hang on for 9.0 and pray its fixed in there.