PDA

View Full Version : Render Passes and PSD Layers

Chris S. (Fez)
01-13-2006, 08:37 AM
Lightwave's render passes are convoluted compared to some other programs. Why are there so many useless layers in the psd files generated? So much clutter! In a competing program I can select diffuse, color, specular, shadow, direct lighting, indirect lighting and when I hit render it will create a nice clean photoshop file with all the right blending modes ready for tweaking. If I want to create masks based on certain surfaces or objects I can easily select those too.

I hope I am not the only person dissatisfied with this implementation. You might not know what you are missing until you use a program that gets it right.

Also, it kills me that G2 is not compatible with all the buffers...a shortcoming Worley attributes to a Lightwave limitation. Please fix that by 9 if possible.

jesusguijarro
01-13-2006, 08:49 AM
Totaly agree.

Chris S. (Fez)
01-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Many of the buffers render black when a G2 shader is applied. Specular, Luminosity and a few others others won't render.

jeremyhardin
01-13-2006, 01:26 PM
in addition, how about the option to output each of those buffer's to their own image sequence rather than psd layers? (much like XSI or maya ;) ).

nickej
01-27-2006, 10:57 PM
Add me to the list requesting that it be fixed. Also rendering to separate sequences would be nice, but you can get the same effect (with netrender)by rendering separate scenes.....

faulknermano
01-28-2006, 03:31 AM
a thought just came to me as i was looking at how i'm dividing LW / Maya scenes up. this thought was in line with another feature request about light groups.

the group feature request was about grouping lights so that exclusions get applied as a group rather than individual lights.

i suddenly thought of applying that to cameras. in Maya, you use render layers to control what is visible to the camera, and LW is more or less the same (albeit render layers is not an implemented concept). in Maya, it's only the rendering stage where you assign which render layers to render.

so how about reversing the situation? why not giving the camera the ability to choose which object it can see? it's much simpler to change the attributes of the camera then a multitude of objects. you can have multiple cameras for specific objects and maintain only one scene file. at render time, you choose which camera to render from one single scene file.

given the current workflow of LW, and the fact we already have the "render selected object" function, i think this way is more natural, and imho, the workflow will hold up in "real life" use.