PDA

View Full Version : Beveling and Facets

mmitch2k
01-13-2006, 07:15 AM
Im trying bevel some extruded text, however when I try to bevel or smooth shift the text, it creates facets, none of the polys are overlapping, it doesn't matter how much i try to bevel it even one level of bevel facets the text... how do i bevel the text without it creating facets?

Thanks

Dodgy
01-13-2006, 07:39 AM
Is your surface smoothing set too high?

mmitch2k
01-13-2006, 09:33 AM
I do not see an option in the surface dialog (q) to set the amount of smoothing. Simply a smoothing check box.

jeremyhardin
01-13-2006, 09:55 AM
it's in the surface editor. smoothing threshold.

surface smoothing on bevels works better if you add a small bevel with no shift and a small inset after you perform your main bevel.

starbase1
01-13-2006, 10:03 AM
Jeremy is right - remember that smoothing afects the polygons on either side of the one in question. So if you bevel a cube, for example, once on every face, you will get smoothing flowing onto the big faces giving an inflated appearance.

A second bevel as an inset will fixe this.

Nick

mmitch2k
01-13-2006, 10:33 AM
thanks for the replies guys...Originally I was working on this with my entire object but for the purposes on this discussion here is what i did.

I created some text...the letter O
Extruded it
hit Q and turned on smoothing
then tried what you guys mention about the Inset and small bevel and lowering the smoothing value and this is what my object looks like now

http://www.totalguides.com/design/screen.jpg

http://www.totalguides.com/design/screen.jpg

notice the facets...If i adjust the smoothing value it does help but still cant seem to remove them completely

jeremyhardin
01-13-2006, 10:39 AM
i can see the misunderstanding here. don't bevel every polygon. select the face polygon you want to bevel. then bevel as normal. then do the bevel with no shift and small inset.

mmitch2k
01-13-2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks Jeremey, that was it! I can finally move forward as I was stuck on this for 3 days :)

Thanks so much for the help...Dont be surprised if I show up again with some more questions ;)

jeremyhardin
01-13-2006, 11:01 AM
glad to help. :thumbsup:

Scott_Blinn
01-13-2006, 11:45 AM
i can see the misunderstanding here. don't bevel every polygon. select the face polygon you want to bevel. then bevel as normal. then do the bevel with no shift and small inset.

Cool, didn't know that trick. :-)

You could optionally cut/paste the face to make the hard edge.

1) select orginal "O" front face.
2) CTRL+X then CTRL +V
3) Bevel the face.
4) CTRL+X then CTRL+V on the "new" face that was created by the bevel.

or

Change Smoothing Threshold like mentioned above. :-)

jeremyhardin
01-13-2006, 11:52 AM
You optionally cut/paste the face to make the hard edge.

1) select orginal "O" front face.
2) CTRL+X then CTRL +V
3) Bevel the face.
4) CTRL+X then CTRL+V on the "new" face that was created by the bevel.

or

Change Smoothing Threshold like mentioned before. :-)
Hi Scott. You've mentioned a good tip. One that I use more than I like to admit.

Of note to those who might not know, it's slightly bad modeling habit in case you or someone else down the line merge polygons in an attempt to clean the model. not to mention the edge is perfectly CG Sharp. with the small bevel/smooth shift, you can control how hard or sharp the edge is with the size of the new inset.

Hopefully Edge Weighting in 9 will eliminate these shortcuts need altogether. We'll see though ;).

Scott_Blinn
01-13-2006, 11:56 AM
Hi Scott. You've mentioned a good tip. One that I use more than I like to admit.

Of note to those who might not know, it's slightly bad modeling habit in case you or someone else down the line merge polygons in an attempt to clean the model. not to mention the edge is perfectly CG Sharp. with the small bevel/smooth shift, you can control how hard or sharp the edge is with the size of the new inset.

Hopefully Edge Weighting in 9 will eliminate these shortcuts need altogether. We'll see though ;).

True. :-) I'll have to try that bevel/smooth shift out.

I also hope that with LW finally owning up to its demons (that edges DO in fact exist in the 3D world :-) that we will soon have more options for dealing with this kind of thing. (Thanks :newtek: !)

theo
01-13-2006, 03:04 PM
This is a good technique but for hi-res print work it may not be suitable for perfectly smooth hi-gloss lettering. I pretty much subpatch all of my lettering for print if it is over a certain size on the media.

Takes a few minutes longer but you get the option of choosing your poly render level for the subpatched lettering along with the beauty of text warping in case you need it which of course the subpatches are perfectly suited for.

faulknermano
01-15-2006, 11:50 PM
try the TB_Edge shader (check flay.com), if you're just going for a single-poly-bevel-segment. it's clean and saves a lot of time.

toby
01-16-2006, 12:46 PM
my $.02

http://www.tobygaines.com/smoothing.html

Silkrooster
01-16-2006, 03:57 PM
my $.02

http://www.tobygaines.com/smoothing.html
Well Spent. :D
Seriously excellent tutorial for anyone that hasn't seen it yet and is having trouble with smoothing errors.
Silk

toby
01-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Thanks! It's so easy once you know that little morsel of info, and it adds so much, everyone should be taught it early on.

I wonder if edge weighting could be applied to smoothing? Smoothing Maya is adjustable, would be nice -