PDA

View Full Version : Maxwell Render - Mac or not?

modernpixel
01-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Hey,
Wondering if anyone can help me sort out Maxwell Render's cryptic website. Is their product available for Mac OS X? It says that plugins are available for X for Lightwave, but is Maxwell itself a standalone application?

I'm considering the purchase, but the screenshots appear to be all Windows. I don't want to wind up with something I can't use.

I apprectiate any clarity.

Joe

Captain Obvious
01-12-2006, 10:50 PM
No, it's not available for Mac. Not the latest version, anyhow. It will be available for Mac, but nobody knows when. It was supposed to reach 1.0 last summer, but they still haven't sorted their stuff out. A suggestion is to read what people are saying on their forums (http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/index.php). As it stands now, there are lots of people shouting for refunds... Maxwell might turn out to be a kick-*** renderer, but I really urge you to wait until the darned thing is actually finished. Right now, it's very much not so.

3dworks
01-13-2006, 03:05 AM
No, it's not available for Mac. Not the latest version, anyhow. It will be available for Mac, but nobody knows when. It was supposed to reach 1.0 last summer, but they still haven't sorted their stuff out. A suggestion is to read what people are saying on their forums (http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/index.php). As it stands now, there are lots of people shouting for refunds... Maxwell might turn out to be a kick-*** renderer, but I really urge you to wait until the darned thing is actually finished. Right now, it's very much not so.

agreed completely. i would like to add that the OSX beta version still works and was quite promising, but with several limitations when rendering glass surfaces and transparency/ clip maps. this first version was dependant on plugin output, but the renderer works in it's own separate app. anyway, the LW plugin was far from being perfect, but probably the best among the mac plugins i did test (C4D and formz).

the further development (the so called RC version) was never released for OSX and expanded into a stand alone 'layout'-like app. it should still work together with the plugins, but you are supposed to fine tune or complete the scene setup with it. the material editor was developed to incorporate multicoat surfaced materials. the first releases of this RC version with a different render engine did not work at all or had a very different, much less realistic 'look', far from most of the very convincing images in the gallery. apparently, now they are back on track working on a derivate of the first render engine.

i still believe that (maybe this summer?) they will release a very nice renderer, but probably i never will be a fast one. if you need very accurate light simulations, probably one day this will be the software to go after.

markus

Ade
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
Take a look at Kray renderer for mac, its got more going for it userfriendly wise. Cheaper too. Maxwell needs to be a standalone rendering app cause its intergration is horrid.