PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who - NEW SERIES on SCI-FI!!

MediaSig
01-12-2006, 06:52 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/scifi.shtml

Just thought I'd share the good news with some of the fans here on the forum!

:thumbsup:

Rory_L
01-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Congratulations all you Whovians in America! You`ve had a fair old wait, haven`t you?You won`t be disappointed.

R

bluerider
01-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Some of the visual effects in Doctor Who are good, some are a bit dodgy?

I like the one set in London during the Blitz. :thumbsup:

Bog
01-13-2006, 03:07 PM
Bit dodgy? Bit dodgy? Given the old BBC Tradition of Space Shuttle Polyeurethane matching orbits with Space Station Egg-Box, I think they've done a jolly nice job! That, and the title theme puts me more in mind of dropships hammering into a hot LZ than farting about with floppy scarved and paper bags of jelly-babies.

The New Who is very, very good. I had sincere and heartfelt reservations about it, which promptly got hit with a big metal hammer. Very enjoyable stuff.

Now all we need is for Joss Whedon to write a few episodes...

Qexit
01-14-2006, 04:04 AM
Bit dodgy? Bit dodgy? Given the old BBC Tradition of Space Shuttle Polyeurethane matching orbits with Space Station Egg-Box, I think they've done a jolly nice job! Sorry, but I always think of Doctor Who as being a pioneer of visual and audio effects on British TV. Particulary during the 1970s when Dr Who was at the forefront of such things as CSO. Heck, I think the first Tom Baker story was the first UK TV programme/series to be shot entirely on video including the location work which had till then always been shot on film :cool: The sadly missed BBC Radiophonic Workshop did masses of stuff for Dr Who and practically wrote the book on electronic sound, music and special effects. Without Dr Who virtually none of that would have come about.

That, and the title theme puts me more in mind of dropships hammering into a hot LZ than farting about with floppy scarved and paper bags of jelly-babies...and the whole sequence was a rip-off of the sequence produced for the opening of the first Dimensions in Time Dr Who Convention by the members of Who3D :D

The New Who is very, very good. I had sincere and heartfelt reservations about it, which promptly got hit with a big metal hammer. Very enjoyable stuff.Now here we agree. The new series was highly entertaining. I have high hopes for the next season too after seeing the first David Tennant story go out at Prime Time on Christmas Day here in the UK...though I'm not looking forward to the return of K9 unless he gets blown into about a million tiny pieces at some point :devil:

I wonder if enough people vote we could get the new series to win an award for best new Soap Opera ? :D

Now all we need is for Joss Whedon to write a few episodes...Er...no thanks. Unless they manage to make it a Dr Who/Firefly cross over. Now that would be interesting :) Just so long as they don't bring in any of the writers for the new Battlestar Galactica series all should be well :D

Bog
01-14-2006, 04:09 AM
Wow. I've got to use more winks and things - people are taking me seriously! Qexit, thanks for the detailed post, but I really wasn't being much more than flippant with my initial comments! :)

With regards to K9, I was semi-hoping that he'd have been ... tweaked... and ended up a bit similar to "Dog" in Half-Life 2. Still, be nice to see 'im again :) I fancy going on about this, but I don't want to drop spoilers. Suffice it to say, the US is in for a treat. And it's heartwarming to see that Good Sci-Fi Exports can go both ways across the puddle!

Qexit
01-14-2006, 04:22 AM
Wow. I've got to use more winks and things - people are taking me seriously! Qexit, thanks for the detailed post, but I really wasn't being much more than flippant with my initial comments! :)Sorry Bog, wasn't really getting at you I'm just a bit tired of people going on about the shaky sets, poor effects and so on when talking about Dr Who. At the time it was originally broadcast, people didn't notice the faults....they were too busy hiding behind the settee to worry about such things :thumbsup: and always tuned in the following week to find out what happened next :eek:

With regards to K9, I was semi-hoping that he'd have been ... tweaked... and ended up a bit similar to "Dog" in Half-Life 2. Still, be nice to see 'im again :) I'd like to see him get tweaked with a thermos full of Ace's Nitro9 :devil: On the bright side, seeing Sarah Jane Smith again will be good. I wonder if the Brigadier will be turning up at some point ? A little bit like the TARDIS, he has become one of the permanent fixtures :)

Bog
01-14-2006, 04:29 AM
I was kidding about the Beeb's effects - they've been rock solid for ages. But I have to say, the stuff they've been turning out for New Who has elicited more than one "Good Gh0d look at that!" from me. The Mill are doing at least some of the digital stuff, it seems. One paper bag of jelly babies to some talented souls!

It is great seeing some of the old classics again - though with todays weapons, I'm not sure what the Brigadier's signature bark of "Five rounds, rapid!" could apply to. Tanks, maybe ;)

Anyhooo... sorry to have chafed on your nerves. I was one of the many quivering behind the sofa. It was mainly the cybermen who had me cowering, and they're coming up next. Eeek!

GCL
01-15-2006, 01:31 PM
I wonder if the Brigadier will be turning up at some point ?

Only as a regenerated Brigadier since the original actor passed on not long ago. But I and the family were happy to read that Sci-fi will have it on. Just happens to be in the Stargate-Atlantis timeslot. But by then the season will be over and on to the 3rd season this summer incuding 10th for original Stagate Sg1.

Bog
01-15-2006, 02:27 PM
The DVDs are available from Amazon.co.uk.

Enjoy :)

Qexit
01-15-2006, 03:21 PM
Only as a regenerated Brigadier since the original actor passed on not long ago. When did Nicholas Courtney die then ? He's still alive according to the IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0183944/

and I certainly don't remember seeing it on the news here in the UK. I think you are mistaken .... fortunately :)

bluerider
01-15-2006, 04:55 PM
The BBC did not do the Visual effects for Doctor Who, it was the Mill?

I have provided a link = http://www.bcs.org/BCS/News/PressReleases/2005/november/drwho.htm

So regardless of the BBC's early pioneering days with its special effects they shipped the visual effects out to the above company regarding Doctor......whatever his name is :hey: .

I like the BBC radio 7 series they are doing at the moment aired on Saturdays.

If anyones interested you can find it here= http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/listenagain/saturday/ :thumbsup: .

GCL
01-16-2006, 04:10 PM
When did Nicholas Courtney die then ? He's still alive according to the IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0183944/

and I certainly don't remember seeing it on the news here in the UK. I think you are mistaken .... fortunately :)

My apologies...did not want to see the brigadier in the ground before his time. My information was from the internet and a report of his demise. Must have been from some other character in the show (or not).
I'll be ready to tape series when aired. Dvd's sound good but only in UK for now and much less expensive to tape.