PDA

View Full Version : Updated LWO2 documentation

byronaj
01-12-2006, 02:47 PM
I am in the process of creating a LWO2 importer for our game development kit. So far all is okay except I am seeing tags appear in the output LWO2 files that aren't explained in the LWO2 format docs (at least the ones I have) - for instance what is the BNUP tag?

Are there any plans to update the documentation for this format. So far I am losing the 'Lightwave as a viable modelling tool for games' war since it seems far easier to write geometry import/exporters for Max...

Not good - Lightwave is better than Max. So come on guys help me out here in defending the good name of Lightwave.

byronaj
01-12-2006, 02:50 PM
I should point out that my post is not meant to be a promotion for Max - I absolutely hate that tool!

jeremyhardin
01-12-2006, 04:09 PM
agreed. sdk docs desperately need an update.

byronaj
01-13-2006, 01:45 AM
I have found some code that people have kindly published on the web that reads the LWO2 format AND reads the tags that aren't in the docs, so if it comes down to the that I can work out most of the details. But these people must have got the information from somewhere...

byronaj
01-13-2006, 10:58 AM
I was living in hope that somebody from Newtek would read this and respond to it - anybody?

I am specifically interested in all of the tags to do with bones... what are their formats?

jeremyhardin
01-13-2006, 11:05 AM
well it doesn't answer your questions, but did you see the subpatcher layout lwo parsing script? It's insightful.

http://www.blochi.com/gfx/lscripts/SubPatcher_OpenSource.ls

byronaj
01-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Thanks for that link.

As it stands my importer can import models into the engine and display them. It's only when I started to parse the bone information that I noticed tags appearing that aren't in the documentation.

I have seen other importers that manage to handle these tags so this information must be available somewhere.

byronaj
01-16-2006, 01:57 PM
I eventually fired off a support request to Newtek over this and the number of responses I got back meant that I exceeded my email quota and had to purchase extra mail space... oh hang on, sorry, that was in my dreams...

Zero help from Newtek.

I must admit I got shown the shader integration in Max today and saw that go straight to the game without any hassles and I must admit I was impressed.

So I guess in the face of the lack of updated information to take the LWO2 importer to the step it needs to be I am finally going to give in a switch to Max.

Its a sad day.... bye bye Lightwave.

RedBull
01-26-2006, 04:06 PM
Have you posted this information, on the LW-P plugin list?
I'm sure Ernie would know the answer to your question.

http://www.gla55pak.com/lameduckie/02july/lwo_loader/
That contains some source and some updated docs reference.

The link is ofcourse broken - http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/developer/75lwsdk/sample/lwobject/
But a simple LWO2 search in google, could likely help your problem.
Best bet is the LW-P list though.

But you may of already gone to Max..... If so se la ve....

Cheers,
Scott.

jeremyhardin
01-26-2006, 04:11 PM
great links redbull! i'll be keeping those handy.

byronaj
01-27-2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks - I had already gotten to the stage where I can parse the complete 'documented' LWO2 file format anf get them into the necessary format for the engine to use. The stumbling block came when I started noticing 'chunk' information that wasn't documented. It then became a bit hairy.

I must admit I have converted to max now and just by using Maxscript I can get out the information I need and thats just from using it for a couple of days - the difference in ease of extraction is incredible - Newtek could learn a lot.

byronaj
01-27-2006, 04:48 PM
However, there is one downside - I don't find modelling in max anyway near as inituitive as LW... I could almost cry....