PDA

View Full Version : Work Plane Rotations?

marlo.steed
01-11-2006, 10:02 PM
I know for some of you animation experts this will be a trivial question but I am struggling to do some rotations for an animation. I want to rotate an object that is on a 45 degree angle to the regular x, y, z corridinate system. I have tried to get around the problem by using end-morphs but that distorts the object out of proportion (when I put them back to the 45 degree angle).
There must be a straight forward approach to do this but I have done a search in the documentation without any luck.

I know Modo uses a work plane that is very cool and a person can rotate on that - is there an equivalent approach in Lightwave?

toby
01-11-2006, 11:28 PM
Not sure I know what you mean, but maybe what you need is to change the coordinate system. Try shift+F5, shift+F6 and shift+F7 to cycle through 'parent', 'local' and 'world' coordinates.

marlo.steed
01-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Okay this is now becoming a desparate scenario. I have an animation that is due by the weekend and for the life of me I can't figure this out. I tried the local/world/parent coordinate systems. That works if the objects has already got the right pivot rotation but doesn't if the rotation is different from the world coordinates.

I have tried rotating the pivot points - it won't - it is locked no matter what corrdinate system I am in.

What I have is a lever that needs to rotate down - seems simple enough but it is on a 45 degree angle to world corrdinates. I try to rotate the pivot point and it won't move. The stange part is that I can move and rotate the pivot point in parent corrdinate system but then the system reverts back to world coordinates when I try and rotate. See the image attached.

I have been stuck on this for 24 hours - exploring every possible approach. I should have been rendering by now....totally frustrated.

marlo.steed
01-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Here is the view I want to rotate it on....

marlo.steed
01-12-2006, 02:21 PM
I started from scratch and I may have stumbled on a work around. I rotated the objects back to the world corrdinate system in Modeler and then rotated them to the correct position in layout. Then I was able to get the pivot rotation to work correctly. This was frustrating, I wouldn't think a person would have to do that.

jeremyhardin
01-12-2006, 03:51 PM
add a null to the heirarchy would be the quickest fix (if i understand you correctly). then you can use the intermediate null to change the rotation axes as needed.

here's a script i wrote that parents the current item(s) to a null and preserves the motion...
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/tutorials/lscript/Layout/files/parent_to_null.ls

jeremyhardin
01-12-2006, 03:55 PM
and a little more explanation about the script...

Background/Purpose:
Parent_to_Null. A script that parents the selected object to a null.
download required files: gendata.ls | parent_to_null.ls

I first thought about this script when animating a ship crashing. It was a fairly straightforward shot that had no secondary animation. Just one big moving ship. The problem was that the flying up to the time of the crash had been animated in another package and was baked (i.e. it had a keyframe on every frame). The condition of my animating the ship was that I not alter the original flight animation.

So I thought, "It would be nice to be able to put this motion onto a null object, then parent the object to the null. I could leave the keyframes up to that frame intact on the null and lock the null." As it turned out, for all the animation in this shot, I had two translation nulls and two rotation nulls above the ship in the heirarchy. That's not including the original baked motion null. Thus the idea for this script was born.

toby
01-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Objects built to be animated MUST be built along an axis, if you want the pivot to make sense. No program has any way of knowing that your object-built-at-an-angle really needs to be straight, or which way you plan to rotate it.

jeremyhardin
01-14-2006, 03:29 PM
I know for some of you animation experts this will be a trivial question but I am struggling to do some rotations for an animation. I want to rotate an object that is on a 45 degree angle to the regular x, y, z corridinate system. I have tried to get around the problem by using end-morphs but that distorts the object out of proportion (when I put them back to the 45 degree angle).
There must be a straight forward approach to do this but I have done a search in the documentation without any luck.

I know Modo uses a work plane that is very cool and a person can rotate on that - is there an equivalent approach in Lightwave?
so did you get this sorted?