PDA

View Full Version : DirectX question??

Lorigosolo
01-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Hey guys and gals!!

Im trying to enter in the game industry and for that i was starting to learn how to export models and stuff to game engines and etc. So i thought, lets try to export some models using the directX format!! :foreheads

I think this is the place to ask because im sure there are a lot of game developers here!! :thumbsup:

I have been trying to export an animated model that has weightmaps to *.X format using the DStorm plugin, but im getting some really weird deformations!! :censored:

So here is the question DirectX 8 supports Lightwaves weightmaps? Thats the first question and the most important one!! :question:

The second is if directx supports weightmaps, does it support overlaping weightmaps? :bangwall:

:help:

Thanks in advance!!

Lamont
01-12-2006, 03:25 PM
The weightmaps can not have a combined value greater than one (1) per vertex. Make sure you tell the export to clamp that.

Lorigosolo
01-13-2006, 12:57 PM
Hi Lamont!!

So your are saying that if i have 3 weightmaps that share a 10 points intersection, i should give those points the vertex weight of 33.33% for weightmap 1, 33.33% for weightmap 2 and 33.34% for weightmap 3, so the total of those points weight will be 100%???

The weightmaps can not have a combined value greater than one (1) per vertex. Make sure you tell the export to clamp that.

How can a tell the exporter to clamp that? :question:

Im using the Dstorm exporter v 1.32, and the manual is in japanese!! So i dont know how to tell the exporter to do that. :o

Lorigosolo
01-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Btw Lamont, would you be so kind to explain how does the Mesh tab of the DStorm DirectX Exporter plugin works? More accurate the option that says Specify SkinWeights/Vertex and the 2 options under it (Max of SkinWeights/Vertex and Max of SkinWeights/Face). :question:

Im lost, i dont know what those options means. What im suposed to put in those options? Its asking me the number of weightmaps i have by vertex or by polys or something like that? :confused:

Im asking too much i know!! :o

Lamont
01-14-2006, 04:15 AM
More accurate the option that says Specify SkinWeights/Vertex and the 2 options under it (Max of SkinWeights/Vertex and Max of SkinWeights/Face).Tells the export to allow a certain number of bones weights influence per vertex/poly. I put mine at two or three.

Lorigosolo
01-14-2006, 10:25 PM
Im back Lamont!! :foreheads

Thanks for clearing that out but unfortunally i cant seem to fix this **** model!! :cursin:

You seem to have a lot of experience in the game field, specially with Lightwave, do you know what is happening to my model when i export it to DX8?? I attached a picture showing the model in Layout and the same model in the DXViewer, a complete mess and i cant find the problem!! I already fixed the weightmaps and when i export i tried using 2 and 3 in the Specify SkinWeights/Vertex tab and nothing seems to fix it!!

Any idea why this could be happening? :question:

Lamont
01-14-2006, 11:50 PM
Check the vert weights. Or can you email me the model?

jasonwestmas
01-15-2006, 12:20 AM
I honestly never been able to get that Dstorm plugin to export character weight maps and bone rotations correctly. It could be that the plugin simply doesn't know how to calculate Record Pivot Rotation or something. The author of the plugin simply told me that there was nothing he could do at the time to fix the problem and that he was still working on a solution for my particular setup. Not really sure what he meant;) There are much better options I think. Unfortunately it probably would cost you some mullah. I had the most success with Deep Exploration when it came to exporting to DirectX. Actually a near flawless amount of success with DE when importing and exporting lightwave animations/models to DX.