PDA

View Full Version : PC vs. Mac - thinking about buying a Mac.

rlamb76
01-11-2006, 07:26 AM
I currently own a 3.2 P4 HT. Lately I have been thinking about purchasing a Mac. I am looking to purchase a new dual core 2.3 G5. Will I notice a performance increase in Lightwave3D and other software such as Photoshop, Flash, etc. I have wanted to jump on the Mac bandwagon for awhile but have always been concerned with the performance.

Current System:
3.2 HT P4
512 MB
ATI 9800 Pro

Dream Mac:
Dual 2.3 GHZ
2 Gig Ram
GeForce 6600 256MB

Captain Obvious
01-11-2006, 07:38 AM
You'll see a performance increase in just about anything, just because of the RAM... ;)

gerry_g
01-11-2006, 12:54 PM
The old dual 2.7 is still better than the new 2.3, as for LW, it'll still render faster on the best Wintel machines (with the exception of the G5 Quad) and as for Photoshop, CS2 is sluggish on a dual 2.7 with 6Gigs of ram, even Adobe admits they tend to optimize for Intel. Stay where you are till the new pro Intel Macs appear at the end of the year. And no I'm not disaffected with the Mac, think it rocks, especially after watching my brother running XP Pro on his Dell.........between crashes!!

Verlon
01-16-2006, 05:02 AM
Also considering a Mac, and as a hobbyist, I can stand it if my renders take a few seconds longer.

Within Lightwave, what do I gain? What do I lose?

Captain Obvious
01-16-2006, 07:57 AM
You gain Mac OS X. You lose many third party plugins.

toby
01-16-2006, 01:46 PM
Hi Verlon

Among other things, you gain excellent multi-tasking. I commonly render with two copies of LW (@ 8 threads each) in the background while working in AE, or a combination thereof. There's no system lag when working like this.

Quicktime also works 10 times better on the Mac, it's very useful.

Weepul
01-16-2006, 02:21 PM

Most concise (and still accurate) explanation I've heard yet! :D

I commonly render with two copies of LW

How do you do this? I seem to remember trying to run two copies of LW by simply duplicating the application, and only one would run (the second "unexpectedly quit"). Do you have to disable the Hub, or some other bit of setup I don't know about?

toby
01-16-2006, 02:37 PM
Exactly, disable the hub, and the copy has to have a different name too.

Verlon
01-16-2006, 05:14 PM
many third party plugins......hmmm....will have to look further into that before I try that. Mac OS is a nice gain, but I loves me plugins....

Captain Obvious
01-16-2006, 07:07 PM
The big ones like Fprime are generally available, though. It's mostly the small freebie plugins that aren't. Whether or not you can live without them is up you you to figure out. ;)

kfinla
01-19-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm thinking of getting a g5 quad, and most likely will. I am however looking also at an Atholon X2 64 based system because certain apps still have never made there way to OSX.

It was my impression that the Workstation Intel-macs wouldn't be around till 2007, possibly 18 months off.

Has apple said anything regarding a schedule. It would obviously hurt quad and dual core sales if the pro intelmacs are only 8 months away.

I'm also hoping that they adopt a bridge system with the dual core macs, likee the Athalon x2's. The g5 dual-cores are based on the inferior pentium-d design i believe currently.

Captain Obvious
01-19-2006, 06:07 PM
It was my impression that the Workstation Intel-macs wouldn't be around till 2007, possibly 18 months off.
Actually, Apple said just a week or so ago that ALL Macs will have Intel processors before the end of this calendar year.

I'm also hoping that they adopt a bridge system with the dual core macs, likee the Athalon x2's. The g5 dual-cores are based on the inferior pentium-d design i believe currently.
Er... what do you mean?

vdoinart
01-20-2006, 08:20 AM
captin obvious is right, they will all be replaced by the end of the year. If you go to apple.com/quicktime, Macworld's Keynote address is located and towards the end he (Steve Jobs) mentions that all macs will have the intel chip by the end of the year.

wilgory
01-21-2006, 02:21 AM
This is true, but not that bad, since most commercial plugins are PC/Mac. In all honesty I hate plugins, half of them should be built into the core or existing tools. As for Plugins I have recently done some workflow enhancements for my Lightwavin' and of the 156 megabytes of PC/Mac plugins that I downloaded from Flay they all have a Mac and PC counterpart. Yeah that's right, if it was PC only it was not even considered. If the site didn't mention that it would work in LW 8, minus some known exceptions it was also not considered. When it was all said and done I have approximately 35 plugins (free of course) for both platforms. And approximately 100 LScripts for Modeler, 100 LScripts for Layout. LScripts are platform independent. Now if LW plugins would cause Hard crashes but just runtime errors, we would be fine. Plus some commercial plugins, IFW shaders for both Mac and PC. So plugins wasn't as big of an issue as I thought it would be, but perhaps I am missing some awesome PC only plugins.

As for your workstation purchase I highly recommend the Quad Processor machines or the Dual Core machines over the 2.7 Dual processor or 2.5 Dual Processor (what I have) .

Good Luck
Greg
http://www.wilgory.com

KnuxTE
01-25-2006, 01:45 PM
I have a this came with Lightwave 8.3-(3.0GHZ Pentium 4 and a My new bought LW 8.5-(2.0GHZ Dual Core PMac G5), I can say the G5 is just alittle slower, but when I turned off shadows, and widgets, I got raw performance. Download Tweek UI. I also feel that OSX is more stable for lightwave to run in, it crashes less on my mac than my PC. the only downside is that there is now a 64bit version of LW for PC, but not for Mac :(, if NewTek is having issues making a 64bit Mac version why dont they make a seperate program for rendering???