PDA

View Full Version : Unfreezing Meshes

CyrusTheVirus
01-11-2006, 04:43 AM
Hello all! I'm pretty new to LW and I want to know how to unfreeze meshes.

Captain Obvious
01-11-2006, 04:55 AM
Can't be done, unfortunately.

DogBoy
01-11-2006, 05:33 AM
Yup! Always keep a copy of your unfrozen mesh if poss.
I remember several days spent "unfreezing" by hand, not fun. 8/

CyrusTheVirus
01-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Bad news indeed. Guess I have to redo the whole wing section of my fighter plane. *sigh*

Stooch
01-11-2006, 03:46 PM
Band glue is a life saver in this case. Unless you tripled everything.

KillMe
01-11-2006, 03:47 PM
try using qemm loss 3 or somethign liek that then runnin the plugins merge trigons x ( think thats what its called) and might and i'll stress that MIGHT get something if not perfect closer to what you had so you can fix it up manually in less time than rebuilting the whole thing

CB_3D
01-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Always keep your original subds as a backup. Incremental saving is also a good idea when modeling.

SplineGod
01-12-2006, 02:17 AM
Another option is to pick points and create splines of them and repatch the wing.
Ive done that many times and its usually pretty quick. :)

colkai
01-12-2006, 03:45 AM
Another option is to pick points and create splines of them and repatch the wing.
Ive done that many times and its usually pretty quick. :)
Quoted for agreement, this is the method I used 90% of the time if I need to sort geometry out.
Learnt it from Larry naturally. :)
It really is a good way to sort out the flow and repair hiccups, or lower/raise detail in a specfic area.

On the face of it, it may seem a bit of work, but once you've tried to rebuild an area poly by poly, it's fruity-oat-bar goodness becomes all to clear. :p

SplineGod
01-12-2006, 04:25 AM
Plus in this case a wing probably isnt horribly complicated. :)

erikals
01-12-2006, 06:37 AM
There's also an Untriple plugin somewhere, maybe a search on Flay.com will find it.

DogBoy
01-12-2006, 07:45 AM
Whenever I've used Untriple, I've had to spend a few hours after just cleaning it up, as it tends (in my experience) to make parallelograms instead of oblongs. Don't get me wrong, I do/would use it, I just find Untriple can make a mess of a mesh.

Admittedly, I tend to make characters more then vehicles, so it may be I'm not using it to it's best advantage.

As long as your mesh isn't tripled then the band-glue suggestion is a quick and easy way to get back to square one.

hrgiger
01-12-2006, 08:50 AM

It's what I would do as well. Just make a copy of your frozen object before and paste it in the background while you patch to keep your shape for reference. Sometimes it's hard to read all those points if your frozen mesh is heavy with them.