PDA

View Full Version : Intel on Mac and LW9?

MatthewS
01-10-2006, 04:09 PM
So given that the move to Intel processors on the mac has officially arrived in a concrete form, can anyone at NT comment on how this will relate to the release of LW 9? Will it arrive in the Universal format, or will it be strictly a PowerPC app (as far as the mac is concerned)?

Any comments would be very much appreciated!

Matt S.

jeremyhardin
01-10-2006, 04:37 PM
no. not xcode:
http://newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=324487&postcount=20

not rosetta:
http://newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=326375&postcount=1

timelines for compatability have yet to be given. i assume newtek is busy preparing the public beta of 9.

archiea
01-10-2006, 05:10 PM
So given that the move to Intel processors on the mac has officially arrived in a concrete form, can anyone at NT comment on how this will relate to the release of LW 9? Will it arrive in the Universal format, or will it be strictly a PowerPC app (as far as the mac is concerned)?

Any comments would be very much appreciated!

Matt S.

All I know is that I see modo all over apple's benchmark pages!!!! :thumbsdow

jeremyhardin
01-10-2006, 05:24 PM
i noticed that too.

Unwanted
01-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Modo (I think) is the only app whose base code is platform independent. That's probably why Apple has it in their benchmarks. It's not a modified version or needing some kind of emulation.

Captain Obvious
01-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Actually, most 3D software is largely platform independant. Including Lightwave. They just need to port 5% or so. But those 5% can still be a LOT of work.

RonGC
01-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Modo adopted xcode right off the bat. From there the compile to universal binaries took them 20 minutes as stated by Brad Peebler.

Lw has still to be ported to Xcode :thumbsdow

Ron

jeremyhardin
01-18-2006, 05:51 PM
Modo adopted xcode right off the bat. From there the compile to universal binaries took them 20 minutes as stated by Brad Peebler.

Lw has still to be ported to Xcode :thumbsdow

Ron
or to give a timeline for the porting.

to speculate, they're probably just concerned with getting a timeline for LW 9 and an Xcode timeline is pretty low on the priority list.

eblu
01-20-2006, 07:36 AM
or to give a timeline for the porting.

to speculate, they're probably just concerned with getting a timeline for LW 9 and an Xcode timeline is pretty low on the priority list.

as long as we're speculating...

they ARE currently at work on an Xcode port. Have been for a long time. No progress has been announced. This is Not a Big deal... if your code is disciplined. I am assuming that Lightwave does Not have a very disciplined code base, ie: the extensive wait for a dev environment change for a Mostly platform independent application. I would hazard a guess that we are looking at 2+ years before LW is intelified. I would love to be wrong, but if I were a betting man, I'd say that Lightwave for Mac Intel won't ship before 2008, and even then it will be only a port and not necessarily Optimized.

in short: I'm not holding my breath.

djtoltz
01-21-2006, 09:00 PM
I can say, based on my own programming projects, that any code ported to XCode will be better optimized for the latest processors than the same code compiled on CodeWarrior. I've seen speed improvements of 50% on tight, floating point intensive code simply by upgrading to a later version of the GCC compliler. That is with no changes to the C/C++ codebase. A good compiler can do more in the way of loop optimization and instruction scheduling than most programmers, including myself, would want to arrange manually.

In any case, Mac users should be excited that even some modules are being ported to XCode. If the modules that are ported are modules that contain performance bottlenecks (like Ray Tracing, Volumetrics, etc.) the performance boost on a G4 or G5 could easily be 2-3x. Multi-threaded volumetrics would really help those of us with dual processor (or dual core) machines, too.

I suspect that Mac-Intel support will be a way off, but this looks like progress.

aris
01-22-2006, 04:01 AM
Lightwave uses USB dongles from Rainbow. I understand that Rainbow was recently purchased by another company which has different priorities and they are delaying releasing dongle drivers for Intel macs. Unless they become available, we won't see an Intel mac version of Lightwave. So, pass your complains to them as there is a number of professional apps which use the same dongles on the mac. Here is their site:
http://www.safenet-inc.com

Additionally, I do not think it will take Newtek a great deal of time to port. You see, even if there are any optimisations which need to be done for intel THEY ALREADY HAVE DONE THEM for their Intel Windows version (same chip). They will just take them from their windows code and paste them in their mac code. In fact, we may end up with more optimisations than we previously had.

If only the dongle drivers were available....

paul summers
01-22-2006, 05:05 AM
Quote:
"I do not think it will take Newtek a great deal of time to port. You see, even if there are any optimisations which need to be done for intel THEY ALREADY HAVE DONE THEM for their Intel Windows version (same chip). They will just take them from their windows code and paste them in their mac code."

I do not think-so compiling code is not like DTP.

aris
01-22-2006, 07:27 AM
Copy-pasting is the easiest form of code reuse. Honestly though, in the case of LW, Newtek is probably busy adjusting preprocessor conditionals so that many intel-win code sections can also be utilised in the intel-mac compile. Even easier than copy-pasting. Assuming of course their code base is unified which is a fair assumption considering they have been writing this for so many years.

As I said, I think that for the delays, the dongle guys are contributing a lot. People should e-mail them and kindly apply pressure by asking: "how about releasing dongle drivers for the Intel Mac OS X someday soon?" Here:
http://www.safenet-inc.com/company/contact.asp

Unwanted
01-24-2006, 12:59 PM
"I'm working with a guy that installed LW on a new iMac (Intel) at the Apple store yesterday. Dongle, LW all installed without issue. He had no bottlenecks, slowdowns, etc. Rendering was faster than his previous Mac.... so he bought one." - Dan Ablan
Source (http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=4880&page=0)

jeremyhardin
01-24-2006, 01:02 PM
interesting. i'm skeptical. i'll believe it when i see it/do it.

TomT
01-25-2006, 06:43 PM
So, pass your complains to them as there is a number of professional apps which use the same dongles on the mac. Here is their site:
http://www.safenet-inc.com

Who else on the Mac?