PDA

View Full Version : Animation Rendering help needed..

Litebright
01-09-2006, 09:11 PM
I am wanting to know if anybody can suggest the easiest way to render multiple camera cuts and then combine them into a single animation using Lightwave 3D 8.3?

I have successfully rendered a group of sequential frames to a single AVI file using the standard Cinepak compression method in Lightwave. The results were magnificent, I was very happy with the image quality of the AVI.

Unfortunately, I cannot figure out how to get Lightwave to combine multiple AVIs or different groups of sequentially numbered still frames into a single AVI file. Is it even possible to do such a thing with Lightwave?? I am not needing to add any sound at all, a silent finished movie is fine. Is there a way to render multiple groups (from different cameras) of still frames AND then save them as an AVI in Lightwave? Example (movie0001-movie0120, movie0121-movie0250, movie0251-movie340 and combine those three groups into one finished AVI in sequential numbered order.

Even the old DOS based versions of 3D Studio had a component called "Video Post", which allowed simple editing of animation clips and still frame sequences. Only thing I could find in Lightwave that looked promising in this respect was the "Image Editor"...strangely enough it has IN / OUT markers for animation clips (which it can load), but it seems it can ONLY output still images from these clips, not animation files like AVIs.

I tried combining two AVIs rendered by Lightwave in Microsoft's Windows Movie Maker, but the output of it's WMV file looked terrible compared to Lightwave's AVIs..

I can't afford something like Adobe Premiere Pro and it that program is EXTREME overkill for what I want to do, in addition when I used a demo version of it a little over a year ago, the AVIs it saved using Cinepak compression looked lousy compared to Lightwaves AVIs(compression quality level was set at 100% in both Premiere and Lightwave)!?!? Why that would be I don't understand at all...unless the demo's compression codecs were intentionally crippled.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Steve

Rory_L
01-09-2006, 09:45 PM
It is cumbersome, but you can do it with 8.3. You would have been better rendering the data out as uncompressed image files. You can load all the image sequences into Layout, offsetting each one`s start frame by the combined number of the previous frames that you want to come before that sequence; and apply them as texture maps to a poly plane facing the camera. Each image sequence is place in its own surface layer and the luminosity is set to 100; the diffuse to zero. The polygon has to be of the same proportion as the image sequences. You then animate the surface layer opacity to switch from one image sequence to the next. All scene lights are set to zero intensity, as is ambient light. Set the camera about a kilometer away and zoom in to have the poly fill the screen. Render without anti-alias and save!

R

SplineGod
01-10-2006, 03:03 AM
Go to flay.com and in the plugins section do a keyword search using the word camera.
Youll find several plugins that will allow you to setup multiple camera renders.
Even without the plugins you can setup all your cameras and then save out different scene files with each rendering different ranges of frames. After that just render each scene and the frames should match up sequentially.