PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Part

lesterfoster
01-09-2006, 06:56 PM
I just wanted to show this to the lightwave community.

I made this with LghtWAVE and AutoCAD. I imported the 2D CAD drawings into LightWAVE to draw in 3D.

So many people hear helped me with it, and it is about time to share it with those that help me and the community as well.

This represents a major achievement for me. As it allowed me to re-invent my job and I now earn a paycheck using LightWAVE.

Questions and comments are very much appreciated. :thumbsup:

otacon
01-09-2006, 09:36 PM
Is that a render?

lesterfoster
01-09-2006, 09:59 PM
No. It is a photograph of a aircraft part. But I made the tooling to make this part with LightWAVE. Compare it to my avatar. My avatar is a photograph of the 3D print that we had made to check the dimensions before I made the tooling with LightWAVE.

sidewing
01-09-2006, 11:12 PM
Very, very good!

The metal looks so realistic that I can't see that it isn't a pic...

pauland
01-10-2006, 04:14 AM
.. well, it would look realistic since it *is* a pic..

marble_sheep
01-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Very cool use of Lightwave! I just wanted to say congrats on embracing a new piece of software (not an easy task!) and then using it for something unconventional. Thanks for sharing!

Want to design some parts for my car?? Hehe :devil:

objuan
01-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Can you talk a little more about how you go from a LW model to a real world metal peice?

sidewing
01-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Dear Lesterfoster,

Just to check if we all understand:
You made the design in ACAD and Lightwave. Then you used the so called: Z-Printing [or 3d printing] in order to check the piece [dimension etc.] Is that correct?

The Z-printing is something we have been doing lately as well. We actually made a partnership with a company that is specialized in this interesting technique.

Would love to hear more!

John

voriax
01-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Does this mean that Newtek is responsible if the part fails and the aircraft is damaged or crashes? ;)

I've had some experience with 3d printers over the last year or so - my work has two of them; a zCorp powder printer and a Dimension plastic printer.. I've used Lightwave to make quite a few models for both machines, but I find that it can be troublesome trying to make objects with precise measurements.. One polygon slightly out of place can mean a hole in your 3d print :P

Saying that, though, Lightwave does have precise measurements in it that are converted properly to real-life size, and I'm impressed that you could create an accurate working part from Lightwave data..
Lightwave is much quicker and easier to use for making flowing lines and organic shapes than the "industrial design" package I use (SolidWorks), but when I recreated something in Lightwave that I'd done in Solidworks, I had a couple of problems with the printout - much nicer organic design, but not accurate enough..

Anyway, congrats :D

riki
01-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Hey cool you made it, nice work. Do you get to fly the plane as well :)

lesterfoster
01-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the comments and questions. Please keep them coming. I just got a new computer over the holidays and I did not have the file on my new computer. I had to look for it on my backup Cdís.

I have uploaded a screen shot from modeler. If you look at the black lines. They are the cad files. If you look at the white lines. That is my spline cage

I am planing to post more details on how I did this, I just need more time to prepare. Over the weekend I will go into more detail on how I did this.

Thanks for your interest.

Padge
01-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Hi Lester
How did you load CAD file? This would be useful as I am learning Autocad
as well?

Padge
01-14-2006, 03:06 PM
Forget previous post I didn`t realise LW read DXF files.
Very nice work by the way Lester, I would be interested to learn more
how you did your model.

Padge

prospector
01-14-2006, 04:08 PM
everytime I try to load a DFX file, it comes in as a flat plane, so it would be interesting to me. :thumbsup: