PDA

View Full Version : LW Benchmark Test with Mac Quad 2.5

edpilot
01-09-2006, 06:29 PM
I have no idea what the significance of my benchmark results were, so I thought I'd post this for comment. I just ran the default settings from the LW8.5 benchmark folder, using the Radiosity_Box.lws file provided. I made no changes to the rendering settings, and just let my Mac fly.

The file completed in 12 minutes, 40 seconds. I have no idea if this lousy, good, mediocre, great, or not.

Comments? Thanks.

Hardware: MacG5 Quad 2.5Ghz, 6GB RAM, NVIDIA 7800GT graphics card.

Captain Obvious
01-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Set the number of threads in the render options to eight, if it's not already set to that.

edpilot
01-10-2006, 07:48 AM
Thanks, I did not have my threads set to 8. I made the changes, and it improved my render time to 10 m 58 sec. I noticed in your avatar the angle is different than the default camera angle I used. Here's the result of the render:

Captain Obvious
01-10-2006, 08:07 AM
My avatar is a cornell box I built myself to learn how to set up Lightwave's interpolated radiosity in a good manner. ;) Anyway, I plan on replacing it soon, so this discussion will appear all weird in a while...

Also, your image link is broken.

Anyway, to get back on topic, I don't know how long it usually takes.

edpilot
01-10-2006, 08:17 AM
I guess the html coding was somehow botched by me...I hope the image attaches properly this time. Here's the default benchmark scene that I rendered in LW8.5 (10 minutes 58 secs):

edpilot
01-10-2006, 11:05 AM
I just re-ran the benchmark test after making sure there was nothing going on behind the scenes with the processor. It completed the rendering exactly the same amount of time at 10 min 58 secs, so I guess this is about the best this thing will do...I monitored the processor activities, and it would appear that all four processors were staying quite busy.

norlight
01-10-2006, 11:23 AM
edpilot,

could I bather you with some user experiences with your setup?

Within a few days (Jobs is doing his speech as I write this...) Iīll be purchasing a new system, which incidentally probably will be almost to the spot equal to yours.

- Are you happy with your videocard? I`ve seen VERY few users talking about it.
- Is it noisy? I saw an article over at hardmac.com were they showed the procedure for changing the coolingfan to something less noiser.

- Does it work well with LW? Any other appīs you use it with?

Thanks on advance :)

mattclary
01-10-2006, 01:10 PM
You can go to www.blanos.com to see benchmark results. You should run more and post your results too.

edpilot
01-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the benchmark info. I went over there and posted my results. I am feeling a lot better about things now!

Norlight...check your PMs