PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used Virtual Vertex- Munster?

Johnsongraphix
01-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Has anyone used Virtual Vertex- Munster? Setting up a renderfarm and trying to determine the best program that will be flexable and handle many 3d apps including Lightwave. Pros and Cons...

Mylenium
01-09-2006, 11:32 PM
Has anyone used Virtual Vertex- Munster? Setting up a renderfarm and trying to determine the best program that will be flexable and handle many 3d apps including Lightwave. Pros and Cons...

It's called Muster and not Munster. It works quite well in a Windows environment, though these days I wouldn't say it's the optimum solution anymore. There are other tools such as Qube! and Deadline that seem more sophisticated. My main problem with Muster always was/ is that it's too dependent on Windows when you use it as a service. Just a simple program crash which absolutely does not have any relation to rendering could stop the service because it affects one of the DLLs used by the service. Another thing I found that you quite regularly have to re-install. For unknown reasons it would stop to work for one type of program (Lightwave) while it would still fire out other programs' jobs without any problems whatsoever. If you're really interested, you should contact them. They may be able to supply you with a limited time and limited clients test version.

Mylenium

Red_Oddity
01-10-2006, 02:32 AM
Well, we don't have had too many problems with it (using it for LW, Maya and AFX), and we've pushed it quite a bit...
The one thing that bothers me though, is that it sometimes seems to garble my workstations LW preferences, very very annoying.
But it does work quite well, mind you though, we've never tried Deadline or Qube.