PDA

View Full Version : Should i..or should i not..

stefanhartman
01-09-2006, 02:57 PM
hey, im looking for a nice moeling and animation software to make small movies for a game. Ive been looking at a lot of them
Some of you might have heard about blender, its a great tool, but its lacking in some features and still too much in the development stage.
What i want to achieve isnt exactly photorealism but close.

Some of the most important features im looking for is things like hair, softbodies and cloth. And also fluid simulation

Ive seen that LW does have these features, but do they work well with animation?? Will it be possible to make GOOD looking characters with GOOD looking hair and cloths ANIMATED with forces like wind??

THanks

(also, ould you recomend any other affordable software that i might be able to use for this?)

UnCommonGrafx
01-09-2006, 03:18 PM
I would strongly suggest that you try out Blender to see if you can get along. Beyond that, most of our suggestions aren't going really illuminate anything for you.

Having said that, I've upgraded and wouldn't hesitate to suggest that you invest your money as I have. You don't have all the jaded experience of many that have had LW for years and years; to that end, LW is a great app for one in your position.

__________________________________________________ __________
On a side note, there seem to be a lot of questions like this coming in, one right after the other. What gives? Is this a new marketing tactic for others, or am I just delusional from the pain medication from a tooth extraction? :rolleyes:

The archives and the New Posts button allow users to see what's been said; take advantage of the old info as not much new is going to be said on such a topic.

Chuck
01-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Please understand that the NewTek forums are for discussion of NewTek products. It really is not appropriate to solicit recommendations regarding non-NewTek products, nor is it the proper place to offer them when people are asking about NewTek products.

We appreciate your cooperation with the necessary guidelines of our company product forums.

UnCommonGrafx
01-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Greatly appreciated, Chuck.

toonafish
01-09-2006, 03:58 PM
hehehe, a lot of threads from peeps trying to make up their mind :-)

GOOD looking characters with GOOD looking hair are not dependent on what software you use, that's all up to you :-)

Take a peek at the newtek gallery and see if what you need is possible. http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/gallery/

SplineGod
01-10-2006, 02:41 AM
Ive seen that LW does have these features, but do they work well with animation?? Will it be possible to make GOOD looking characters with GOOD looking hair and cloths ANIMATED with forces like wind??

Yes, definately :)

stefanhartman
01-10-2006, 03:13 AM
THanks. I think LW will be the way to go, it has all thefeatures that i need

The one thing tht i dnt want, is having t make the new feature myself
I like doing things like that, but i really ant the feature to already be a tool, like with hair, there should be a tool to do hair and to animate hair (maybe using ssplines and things like that). This will make it easier and quicker, i dnt want to have to figure it out without anyone knowing that way exists

THanks

SplineGod
01-10-2006, 03:24 AM
Check out the free tutorials section on my site. One video shows an easy way to create hair guides for Sasquatch. Dynamics can also be used to animate those hair guides as well.
The reality is that LW is capable of doing more then most people realize. I prefer to keep things simple and figure out what can be done with LW rather the introduce other apps that I problably know even less about then LW. :)

tischbein3
01-10-2006, 04:19 AM
well IMHO its simple:
buy lightwave, learn lightwave, download blender, learn blender and use both.
Don't be unhappy with the downsides of both, or try to playout one against the other.

Each of them has some advantages wich can compensate the disadvantages of the other. (But as splinegod mentioned, a lot can be done by lw, wich is not visible at the first look).

unfortunately you will not find very much info/ tutorials on these cross- applicational stuff, wich is imho very disapointing.

But I don't think this post makes it easier for you :)

stefanhartman
01-10-2006, 05:49 AM
Is sasquach part of LW or i it some kind of plug in.
Ive seen plug ins for hair, but those that ive seen itsnt real hair, its a masterial on the mesh, htats not what i want, i want the real hair, with particles. The thing ive done with blender s use static particles and i used curve guides, the problem with that is : it takes real long
The hair is particles, and the particles doesnt have colision..this is then a problem because the hair will fall right through the mesh.
Also, its kinda hard to make the hair style right

Ive seen a video tutorial of 3ds max where they use a special tool just for hairs, then they make hair 'grow' out, and with some other tools they can cut the hair etc. So im looking for a specific tool made just for hair. That will ensur me that i can animate the character without problems with collision etc.

The thing about the cloth:
Im happy with LW cloth simulation...it works (of what ive seen) and it looks easy to work..so no problem there :D

LW_jackn
01-10-2006, 10:57 AM
I want the Staples EASY Button for Lightwave...

Anyone working on that plugin?

:p

;)