PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave and Vue 5 Infinite

sjon
01-08-2006, 02:21 AM
Has anyone tried integrated Lightwave 5 object and Vue 5 Infinite?

Sjon

Wonderpup
01-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Hi sjon,

I was playing with Vue and Lightwave over the christmas break and came a across a few annoying problems with the vue synch plugin-

1) If you want to close the synch plugin panel, hit the ESC key- there's no other way to close it and it locks lightwave while it's open.

2) You can't change the frame range inside the plugin, as the number fields are not working- the plugin takes its range from the render options setting.

3) You can't use targeting with the camera- only keyframed motions are recognised.

Once you have your data inside VUE you need to tell the vue camera to be controlled by it- this is not automatic.

There is a scaling feild to allow the camera motion to be scaled relative to the vue scene, but I don't know what the 'conversion factor' from lightwave to vue is.

Also I have read on that Vue can't import UV Mapped objects directly from lightwave- but if you save to .OBJ format and resave via the UV mapper (free third party) plugin, then this works. Somone else said that saving to .3ds format also worked.

I hope this saves you some time and frustration- good luck.

To be honest it amazes me that given the fact that Eon knew they were going to be running a Lightwave bundle promotion, they didn't take some time to dust off their synch procedure and polish it up a bit- or at least provide a pdf of the basic steps required.

Instead of making me want to use their product I find myself trying to think of ways to circumvent the need for it using lightwave native techniques- I'm not sure this was their intent.