PDA

View Full Version : UV Maping Explanation plz!!

5had0w
01-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Hey guys! I need some help. Can you tell me what's UV maping, what is it for and how can i use it? Please :help: :bowdown:

IZZE
01-07-2006, 01:26 PM
This is the method I still use. May shed some light

http://www.menithings.com/main.php?action=how&how_id=7&manual=1

5had0w
01-07-2006, 01:38 PM
Thnx m8. Tell me if I'm wrong. UV Maping, like it shows on the page from the link you gave me, it's a way to make a 3D character or anything else from 2D? :rolleyes:

Zafar Iqbal
01-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Thnx m8. Tell me if I'm wrong. UV Maping, like it shows on the page from the link you gave me, it's a way to make a 3D character or anything else from 2D? :rolleyes:

No, UV mapping is a technology to texture/paint your 3D model.

3D models are - 3D :) but texture maps are 2D. The best way to fit a 2D texture/image onto a 3D model, is to unwrap the 3D model, so it becomes 2D.

This way the imagemap knows how to follow the curvature of the model.

More info:
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/uvmapping/uv_mapping/advanced_uv_mapping.html

UnCommonGrafx
01-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Not at all. You are wrong in your assessment. ;)
UV mapping is a method for assigning a point a value from 0 to 1 in the horizontal and vertical axi in order to map a bitmap to the points precisely.
It's a fancy way to get 2d imagery onto a 3d object.

SplineGod
01-08-2006, 01:06 AM
UV mapping is a way of precisely mapping a 3D point into a location in 2D space (since image maps are only 2D).
Another way to view it is to think of UV coordinates as tacks that allow you to make a texture precisely stick onto your mesh where you want.

I have some free tutorials on my site that show very simply how UV maps work. :)

5had0w
01-08-2006, 05:41 AM
Can I make maps, a map liek games have, with it? UV "Maping" lol

TMK123
01-08-2006, 11:17 AM
Can I make maps, a map liek games have, with it? UV "Maping" lol

Not exactly......

There have been some very good explainations in this thread but i'll try and lay it out simple for you.

UV Mapping is where you convert you're mesh to a 2d Grid like image, in which you can paint and then apply to you're model.

A good example of this in use would be a floor, you would UV Map the floor(whihc converts it to 2d) and then apply a texture onto that UV Map VIA Photoshop, and then you would apply that image to you're model and you'd have a floor with a texture.

Any questions? ;)

-TMK

loki74
01-08-2006, 02:09 PM
What is UV Mapping?

Sometimes, when mapping textures onto objects, you will find that the normal projection mapping just doesn't work. This usually happens when the object is organic, or irregular in shape. For those occasions, there's UV mapping!

UV mapping adds two extra coordinates to the points in your object; those on the U and V axis, running horizontally and vertically through a flat plane that you can paint your texture on. Since the coordinates are assigned to points, it's essentially as if that painted texture was fixed to the surface of the object, with pins where all the points are. No matter how irregular your object is, or how it moves or flexes, those pins stay in place, and the texture stays right where you put it. Technically, it's not as accurate as projection mapping, because the texture is really only exact at those points, and merely interpolated everywhere else. But it's close enough!

The trick is, you have to make the map first. Lightwave has many tools to help you do just that.

Wow, wasn't that a great explaination? Guess where I got it...

.... :lwicon: manual. :tongue:

5had0w
01-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Not exactly......

There have been some very good explainations in this thread but i'll try and lay it out simple for you.

UV Mapping is where you convert you're mesh to a 2d Grid like image, in which you can paint and then apply to you're model.

A good example of this in use would be a floor, you would UV Map the floor(whihc converts it to 2d) and then apply a texture onto that UV Map VIA Photoshop, and then you would apply that image to you're model and you'd have a floor with a texture.

Any questions? ;)

-TMK

Thanx! :D :thumbsup: Now i undertand =P and lol (dumb question again!!) how can use UV maping? (which tool do i use to convert to 2d?

iggy21
01-10-2006, 09:12 AM
look trough newtek help or the manual..it should explain everything. (everything is pretty much under the 'MAP' tab or the Surface Editor in modeler.)