PDA

View Full Version : Does lw64 layout and modeler support multithreading/processing?

hairy_llama
01-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Or is multithreading/processing ONLY supported in the render engine at rendertime? As it is with my 32bit system... not much good for viper previews...
loads of expressions or advanced character setups.

AbnRanger
01-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Yes, both are multithreaded. In Windows Task Manager, you will see both cpu's churning away at roughly the same level when you work with a file of any size.

mattclary
01-07-2006, 06:34 PM
In task manager, just display the "threads" column. This will give you a good indicator of how well an app will do with multi-core CPUs

gjjackson
01-08-2006, 10:24 AM
The Threads in the Task Manager I don't think are related to CPU. It is more likely the concurrent processes that an application has. An application can have multiple processes running essentially at once.

hairy_llama
01-08-2006, 05:46 PM
So character animation and scene navigation, graph editor, dopesheet, and modeling will use all of your installed CPU's simultainously?

Thats FRIGGEN AWESOME. My last 32bit dual CPU machine was POINTLESS
for everything except for rendering!

Sande
01-09-2006, 12:10 AM
As far as I know, only the rendering is multithreaded. So dual setup would not benefit modelling or animating much...

If I'm correct, that's a pity because multiple characters with IKs and expressions can be quite heavy on cpu.

Captain Obvious
01-09-2006, 12:18 AM
The Threads in the Task Manager I don't think are related to CPU. It is more likely the concurrent processes that an application has. An application can have multiple processes running essentially at once.
An application that the Task Manager says has one thread, cannot take advantage of several processors. An application with more threads might, but isn't always very optimized for it. Let's say 3D Studio Something Or Other reports as using 10 threads in the Task Manager. One of these threads is for drawing the viewports, doing the core math routines and such things. The other nine are for stuff like managing the input and stuff. So now you have one extremely demanding thread, and nine that could run on your ancient Pentium 2 without a hitch. It is multi-threaded, and does technically take advantage of multiple CPUs. It just doesn't take good advantage of them. ;)

lesterfoster
01-09-2006, 04:48 AM
So if mattclary was doing something in lightwave. Would we see more than just 2 Threads?

And why don't I see any Threads in my task manager? I see only 5 columns in mine. <Image Name> <PID> <CPU> <CPU Time> and <Mem Usage>.

Captain Obvious
01-09-2006, 05:06 AM
Check the display options, if there are any. Right-click somewhere.

If he, for example, started an eight-thread render, it would increase by at least eight threads.

gjjackson
01-09-2006, 09:57 AM
And why don't I see any Threads in my task manager? I see only 5 columns in mine. <Image Name> <PID> <CPU> <CPU Time> and <Mem Usage>.

Select View / Select Columns. I have all the columns turned on.

mattclary
01-09-2006, 10:05 AM

Anything with multiple threads will make use of a second cpu or core. What advantage is actually seen in performance may vary.

AbnRanger
01-09-2006, 04:54 PM
To reiterate what I said earlier; when I open up a fat object in modeler, BOTH cpu's spike with ANY activity at all. Let off the gas, and they both flatline (in task manager). I have between 5-8 threads at any one time showing in the LW.exe process. If you right-click on the process, and click on "Affinity," you can make sure both CPU's are checked, so Windows will make use of each.
By default, they should already be checked.

hairy_llama
01-10-2006, 04:41 PM
abnranger. Thanks. Thats what I like to hear. As with a single CPU I get full 100% usage when doing anything viewport manipulation I'd hope it worked the same with two CPUs... Because if it does not spike both CPUs I have no reason to get a dual CPU machine as I have a 30ghz renderfarm for rendering :)

If anyone has a dual 64bit machine running LW can they check and see if both
CPUs get used 100% when running a viper preview render, of say, hyper Voxels?

That would be awesome

dgon64
01-11-2006, 03:24 PM
I'm running an 830 dual core with 4G Ram on XP64. LW 8.5 is installed in both 32-bit and 64-bit mode. Checking task manager while using Modeler and Layout does indeed cause each core to spike during use. Viper also behaves in like manner so LW 8.5 does indeed make the most out of a multiprocessor. I haven't
specifically tested hypervoxels so I couldn't say for sure but I wouldn't see why not. One other observation about using LW in XP64 is that it mainly helps if you have a large model/scene with many polys. I have a large DEM file that had been converted to LW objects ( over 4,000,000 polys ). I tried loading the whole file at once but it crashed both Modeler and Layout on both an XP Pro and W2000 setup. No problem for LW8.5 in XP64 in either 32 or 64 bit mode. The model refreshes slowly as you work but I was thrilled just to be able to load such a large polycount model. Hope this helps.

gridman
01-19-2006, 02:47 PM
I have a Pentium D 840 chip (dual core 3.2 MHz) and am a new LightWave user.

In the maching setup, it says 64-bit mode is enabled. Yet, I am unable to install the 64-bit Sentinel drivers. I was however able to put the 64-bit password/reg code into LW when I registered it.

So, am I really running 64-bit LW even though the 64-bit Sentinel drivers aren't installed?

Thanks,

Rod

dgon64
01-19-2006, 05:18 PM
When running Layout or Modeler, it will say either Win 32 or Win 64 version. Sentinel drivers are beta last time I checked so as long as it works you're good to go.