PDA

View Full Version : Modeling question

cohominous
01-06-2006, 01:57 PM
I have a flat plastic blue piece like in the first picture. Is there a way to bow it into something like the second picture without the seam? (I mean without having to pull point by point). Is there a way to pull on one and have it affect the points around it to make a rounded bow?

P.S. sorry if these questions are obvious but I'm new to Lightwave and have a very tight deadline. It's hard to search for terms when you don't know what they are called in Lightwave.

ercaxus
01-06-2006, 02:10 PM
I don't know much about modeling/tweaking solid objects but I believe for this project you can use dragnet tool if you want to work with points(modify tab/translate/dragnet) or magnet tool if you want to work without clicking on any specific points and just define a volume in space.
Both of these tools have falloffs that you can set dragging your mouse with right mouse button.
Good luck :D

cresshead
01-06-2006, 06:42 PM
you could create some spline and then spline patch it....

here's a demo model for you to look thru...each layer is a step in the modeling proccess....and text is there to help you understand what was done...

cheers

stee+cats :lwicon:

Dodgy
01-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Modify>transform>spline guide is good for this. Select the polys to bow, and make sure you open the numeric panel (I work with it open as it's useful 90% of the time) as this tool has a lot of options.

Also good is using the Taper tool. Right click and draw out the gizmo from top top bottom, then use the right/left arrow keys to turn it into a double ended taper, and then use the up/down arrows to turn it into a smooth taper. Then left click drag to bow out the polys selected.

cresshead
01-07-2006, 05:02 PM
another optionis to use the move tool and open up it's property page the 'p' key and then set it to linear or spherical and graw out it's 'gizmo' with your r/hand mouse button.........this way you can define a fall off area to your selected points/polys...then move them......

another is to paint on a weight map onto the area that you want to be pulled.

there's so many tools in lw and so many methods that will give you a similar result....that's the power of it really.... :lwicon: