PDA

View Full Version : Macintosh Resource Page fallow?

Johnny
01-06-2006, 01:20 PM
I can get there, but the most recent entry I see is 16th October 2003.

anyone know what's up? did the owner of that site get tired of doing it?

J

jeremyhardin
01-06-2006, 01:39 PM
dunno what link/site you speak of...

Johnny
01-06-2006, 01:40 PM
This one: http://www.exch.demon.co.uk/index.htm

J

jeremyhardin
01-06-2006, 01:45 PM
ah. well that tells you what i know. sorry, no help here.

eblu
01-06-2006, 02:16 PM
that page has basically fallen off the face of the planet. I think theres a message somewhere in there, where Julian Johnson says hes going to stop working on it, but leave it up for people that refer back to it. It basically didn't survive the os 9 - os X transition. I always thought that was a sign that Julian got busy with projects.

Julian Johnson
01-06-2006, 11:21 PM
eblu - exactly right :-). The original resource page was always supposed to be a temporary site to ease the transition from 5.x to 6.x and I hope it served a purpose at that time. I could never find any clear, coherent and consistent information on mac-specific issues and I thought it would be a good idea to compile all the known issues and workarounds and try and validate them. As much for my own benefit as anyone else's. At the time there didn't seem to be a central resource for mac folk.

By the time most people switched to OSX, however, Lightwave had become much more stable (on OSX) and the mac community was much more savvy. Newtek's own mac forum became a cool place to glean the latest information from experienced mac users.

For my part, at that time, I landed a contract up in Glasgow at Absolute Digital which meant I simply didn't have time to run the site properly. Since then, it's hardly seemed worth updating the site. As elbu says, it's just there as an archive.

I really should put up a note to that effect unless someone's hanging on for the next update :-)

jeremyhardin
01-06-2006, 11:36 PM
wow julian. i was right downstairs from you for almost a year and never met you (at least knowingly).

Julian Johnson
01-06-2006, 11:48 PM
Jeremy - well, I'm sure we crossed paths on the innumerable fire drill practices that used to take place there!! Man, every month for a year :-) We really shouldn't have been cooking up in the studio :-)....