PDA

View Full Version : Boolean antimatter?

cohominous
01-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Is there a way to boolean subtract an object without actually damaging the mesh? In Strata3d there was something called antimatter, where you kept the cutting object because it always defined the subtraction area. It was nice because if you made changes to an object (moved handle holes) at a later date, you simply moved the antimatter object and the hole moved with it. You could also animate it and holes could move.

jeremyhardin
01-05-2006, 12:16 PM
not in modeler. you'd have to use an animated boolean plugin in layout, such as this one (a very good one IMHO):
http://flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1809

mattclary
01-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Funny. That's how Bryce worked and I hated it.

cohominous
01-05-2006, 12:42 PM
What's even funnier is I hated it too. Until, that is, I found a need for it... Well, is there a way too "unboolean" something then? I have a model with handles like a office filing cabinet (go up and in). The handles need to move but the holes are already there. Any suggestions?

cohominous
01-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Jeremy, are you also running a PC? Your profile says Mac but the plugin you linked to says for PC. If it will run on a Mac that would be cool.

jeremyhardin
01-05-2006, 12:55 PM
doesn't run on the mac. my profile is my home computer (mac) but i do a bit of work on the pc as well (depending on the employer/job).

for my workflow with this type of thing, i save in versions. and when I model, whenever I reach a destructive impasse (i.e. the need to freeze a subpatch or boolean something), i copy the unfrozen/unbooleaned geometry to a 'storage' layer. i also keep all the objects i use for booleans and all the splines i use for rail extrude/rail clone in the same layer.

so that way, at any point in time, if something gets changed, i can go directly to the point it changed and re-freeze/re-boolean with the original stuff modified as necessary.

it's not quite as clean, but it's the best workflow for me when using a destructive modeler.