PDA

View Full Version : Sewer Hero

Cr8wLW
01-05-2006, 12:36 AM
My first posting here on Newtek, be gentle my fellow LWer's!! hahaa!!

I feel it's finished, maybe some minor surface editing, but I'm all hears to hear what you all have to say.

I created it all in LW and used PS for the lense flare. I have more ideas for this character, but working on other projects also. The boat is powered by the methane tanks underneath....and YES that's a toilet he's sitting on.

Keep creating!!!

Cr8wLW

loki74
01-05-2006, 12:52 AM
first things that stand out to me--his outfit's textures seem awfully simple, and the water doesnt look quite right. The way I figure, if the boat was going very fast over it, it would be much more turbulent and have some white foamy parts... if the boat was going slowly over it, it would be much smoother.. also if its a sewer I kind of imagine there being stuff like... floating around in the water. Finally, even though the things look rough and I can see that you tried to much them up w/ procedurals, it still feels too sterile to me, esp. for a sewer.

Aside from that, great. Its a very interesting concept. Is this going to be a character in an animation or something? :thumbsup:

Cr8wLW
01-05-2006, 01:16 AM
Loki74,

Thanks for your feedback and I appreciate the honesty.

As for the outfit texture.... I'm going for the all rubber outfit. I suppose I could use a bit more grime and aged look on it.

The water.... yes, bit to rough for the sewer system. The speed of the boat really isn't going that fast to make foam, but I'll consider it.

I did think about some objects floating around in the water and maybe some stuff up on the walkway (cans, bottle, trash, a sign, other items that might only belong in such a location).

So I'm doing a bit of brain stormin', I'll play around some and post an update.

I do have some ideas for a short animation for him, after some adjustments and more free time on my hands..... he just might come alive.

starbase1
01-05-2006, 03:57 AM
A really neat concept!

I think you could address some of the points very simply, by adding some noise to break up the specular channel on the rubber and water - I think that's a big factor in making them look clean and/or simple.

Maybe also gentle crumple texture on the water bump?

Nick

Cr8wLW
02-23-2006, 07:46 PM
After reading the feedback, I dove into this project again and adding that extra detail. This is my first project using UV mapping, the work pays off, it sure takes some work!! I still have alot more to learn and this has been a fun one. So I'm looking forward in hearing more feedback. Thanks again for your input....

starbase1
02-24-2006, 05:15 AM
Now that's starting to look seriously good!

Can I suggest toning down the red on the switch box?

Nick