PDA

View Full Version : NewTek Texture Illustrations

Iaian7
01-05-2006, 12:35 AM
These are a series of illustrations I did, mainly for texturing and lighting practice. C&C are welcome! (as a side note, they may appear dark on a windows system, or any mac with darker gamma settings)

The surfaces are a mix of procedural textures and images from the NewTek texture collections; with objects tending towards the procedural, and ground planes using almost exclusively images (flat sub division surface objects with displacement maps applied). I guess one could say these are a tribute to the NewTek texture series... though there has been a great deal of photoshop editing, both to the textures, and to the final renders.

I think the grass image is my favorite... cloth simulations were used for the blades, and the lighting setup (which was the same from scene to scene) seems strongest in this one.

As for lighting, I wanted to try some cheap shadow map lighting with photoshop filling in the details. While not a purist approach, I enjoyed the effect... and who can resist painting extra shadows and caustics with a Wacom tablet? Oh, and the depth of field is entirely Photoshop, based on the depth mattes I rendered for each image. I find it's a hundred times faster, and offers far more control, to add blooming, depth of field, grain, camera effects, etc. in Photoshop.

It's been a while since I've done illustration work, so it's been kinda fun... :)

loki74
01-05-2006, 12:57 AM
!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Whoa kick-*****! I've been trying to use the NT textures in my latest project... not looking nearly as good.

excellect artistic composition as well. wow.

otacon
01-05-2006, 07:23 AM
Cool images!

TheDynamo
01-05-2006, 12:01 PM
If I could put all of the :bowdown: icons I could find on the 'net here, I would. That stuff is beautiful.

-Dyn

mattclary
01-05-2006, 12:39 PM
Simply amazing, especially the top one!

marble_sheep
01-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Wow, excellent work! Your attention to detail is inspiring ;)

I particularly love the edge of the book pages. Did you actually model the geometry of all those little edges? What surfacing technique did you use to get the light to interact with the edge like that?

Also, for the bricks, did you hand-paint the displacement map to match the color map? The amount of detail there is incredible.

Great work, man. Would love to see more!

DM67
01-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Great work guy :thumbsup:

Cheers
Tony

Iaian7
01-06-2006, 09:28 PM
wow, thanks for all the comments everyone!

Marble_Sheep, the pages are actually individual... but believe me, it's not that hard! I just did the first page as a single flat polygon, then made a curve to match the book spine model. I did a rail clone to get the 300 individual sheets, then selected the outer edge of points, and jittered on the X and Z axis. I tried it with 500 too, but the difference was negligible, and there comes a point when the antialiasing just fails completely.
This kind of setup really works best with large soft lights (which is how I used it on a previous project, turned out pretty cool), and since I was trying to use faster shadow maps on this series, I ended up having to do a bit of photoshop correction. With straight shadow maps, the light will end up penetrating quite a few layers when you're using translucency... in this case, the top 50 pages (and the edge, of course), were lit with everything above and behind the cover. So I had to do a separate render pass with hard ray traced key and fill lights, which I then comped in Photoshop. The edge lighting was still pretty decent, since the jittered pages catch enough back lighting to make it look nice, though when mixing the multiple render passes, I let the shadow map version help a little with the "glowy" part.

I don't really enjoy hand painting maps, call me lazy... :) The displacement was a black and white version of the colour map, that I used numerous layers with various transparency modes edited with Median, Gaussian Blur, Invert, etc. to get a decent height map. Same process I used for the other two images, but a little more obvious I guess. Not perfect, but works well enough. The textures are stretching a bit (sadly, the resolution does start to fall) but at least it lines up nicely (and after much editing... repeats endlessly). :thumbsup:

JML
01-06-2006, 11:41 PM
really really nice :thumbsup:

meanlebh
01-07-2006, 09:28 AM
really great renders, so simple, but the lighting is simply amazing. great work.

-Brian

tonyvdb
01-07-2006, 11:21 AM
WOW, That looks so real. I would have no idea that that was renderd. Stunning!

safarifx
01-07-2006, 11:41 AM
WOW, That looks so real. I would have no idea that that was renderd. Stunning!

@tonyvdb

big up !

later & greetnx

safx

jhustead
01-08-2006, 03:05 PM
Extremely realistic looking! I'd like to have the top one as a framed photo!

-James

sms
01-10-2006, 09:57 AM
All three images framed please!

Absolutely beautiful :thumbsup:

Cesar Montero
01-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Very impresive work.
I love the mood of all of them.
And yes, the one with the grass is the best one.

Weepul
01-14-2006, 12:29 AM
Stunning, simply stunning. I thought I was impressed by the first image until I scrolled down and saw how they only got better! The only real quibble I have is with the nails in the wood in the last image - they look flat, probably because they are flat, at least relative to fully-modeled nail heads. ;)