PDA

View Full Version : "Locking Down" Texture Displacement Procedurals

WShawn
01-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Hello:

I'm creating an animation which depicts the construction of a fiberglass door which has a realistic wood finish, but I'm having a problem when I rotate the door object. When I animate the door the wood texture morphs and undulates instead of staying fixed to the door.

I'm using wood and turbulence procedurals to create the textures on the model by modifying some of the parameters in this tutorial:

Wood Tutorial (http://209.98.241.73/MNLWUG/Tutorials/Wood/Wood_1.html)

It's an excellent tutorial that's produced very realistic wood textures. It starts with a Wood procedural, then adds a Turbulence procedural below that using the Texture Displacement blending mode to make the wood rings look more organic and natural.

This looks great on a static object, but when I rotate the door or a plank with this texture the wood grain undulates. My guess is that the Turbulence Texture Displacement layer is fixed in the 3D space, and as the object rotates through it the Wood texture that's being displaced undulates and morphs.

So is there anyway to "lock" the Turbulence Texture Displacement layer to the object? I tried using the door model as a Reference Object for the Turbulence Texture Displacement layer in the hopes that that layer would stay oriented with the object, but that didn't work.

Any other workarounds? I've never tried Surface Baking. Would that be appropriate here?

Thank you.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

toonafish
01-04-2006, 12:11 PM
sounds like you have "world coordinates" activated in the texture. Just disable it and remove the reference object by selecting "none" in the drop down menu. By default all textures stick to the surface in Layout.

Captain Obvious
01-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Or you could bake the procedurals to a UV image map. That way it will render faster.

WShawn
01-04-2006, 02:27 PM
Thank you all for your prompt replies.

Unfortunately, World Coordinates is not activated on the Turbulence Texture Displacement layer, though it sure is acting like it is. Sort of.

If I just move the wood object through space, in any direction, the texture stays fixed to the surface, but if I rotate the wood object on any axis the texture appears to undulate. If I have World Coordinates checked on the Texture Displacement layer the wood surface undulates when I both move or rotate the object.

I've tried parenting a null to the wood object and use that null as a reference object for the Texture Displacement layer but that didn't work.

I've started experimenting with baking the surface. It was rendering fairly quickly before as procedural and gradient layers. I have to get fairly close to a section of the door so I'll have to bake a fairly high rez Surface Baker map. My first baking attempt at a resolution of 512 was going to take several hours to render, baking just the color. I aborted that and turned off antialiasing and shading noise reduction which sped things up a lot. I'll probably have to bake it at over 4000 to get the resolution I need.

Shawn Marshall

toby
01-04-2006, 03:20 PM
I would just make the displacement image in Photoshop -

toonafish
01-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Sounds weird. Could you post the scene and object ?

MooseDog
01-05-2006, 04:31 PM
the wood procedural is a "2d" procedural and is mapped along a specific axis, so spinning the object results in the weirdness you described. baking is a great option except for the time involved. sorta kills the whole benefit of the operation.

maybe try this: in a blank scene, using the textured environment from the effects panel, render an image of your wood preset, then apply this image to the door with cubic or uv mapping. good luck!

WShawn
01-10-2006, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the replies everybody. I eventually baked the nice wood procedurals I'd created and UV mapped the resulting image. It turns out an earlier animation I did of a piece of wood was doing the same thing, but it rotated out of the scene so fast you couldn't really see the textures changing. I was under a deadline and couldn't spend days troubleshooting it. Maybe if I get a chance in the next few days I can distill the scene down to the basics and post it to illustrate the situation.

Shawn Marshall