PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 3D Artist Needed!

ACORD
01-04-2006, 07:26 AM
My name is Brian and work for a company in Pearl River who is looking for a freelance LightWave 3D artist to help us on 3 projects. We would require the individual to come to our offices occasionally so they should live in the New York or New Jersey tri-state area. One of the 3 projects needs to be completed ASAP. This project entails creating a virtual set for our green screen studio. The set needs to be representative of "The Larry King Show".

This is a paid position. We are paying in the $20 - $30 per hour range depending on experience.

Contact me at [email protected] if you are interested.

tapsnap
01-28-2006, 05:08 PM
Hey Brian,
Thanks for the interview!
But after 2 hours driving down to your offices one hour of time at your offices and two hours driving back; not to mention the 5 hours of getting my relevant renderings and printouts together, it would have been nice to get one 30 second phone call to say you had found someone else to do the job you f***head!

Chris S. (Fez)
01-29-2006, 03:30 AM
I know this is none of my business and I can certainly see how not getting a call-back would be frustrating, but I don't see the sense in burning bridges.

Studios often put potential freelancers/employees on file until the right project comes along.

JamesCurtis
01-29-2006, 02:04 PM
I agree. I've had many interviews and job applications over the years, and have gotten very few callbacks or even letters of rejection for that matter. Calling someone names is a sure way of NOT getting hired ever. Word does get around.

Unwanted
01-30-2006, 02:06 PM
Yikes!

Although frustrating Daniel, you just have to deal with it and maybe use the experience to motivate your future work.

tapsnap
01-31-2006, 02:02 PM
I have no qualms about burning that bridge. And quite frankly, I hope my post embarrasses Brian.

Unwanted
01-31-2006, 02:39 PM
Companies are under no obligation to notify people applying for staff or independent contractor positions that they weren't chosen or to explain why.
Some companies are nice enough, even if it's a form correspondence, to notify aplicants of when their application materials are received or if the position(s) have been filled but they are exceptions. Do not expect such treatment.

The burdens are on us seeking work rather than the companies handing it out. Further beating of this drum on your part will have poor consequences for you, not Brian. You'll get known as volatile, argumentative and confrontational and the next company, especially if they're a respectable company, won't want anything to do with you.

It's hard enough to climb to the top without digging a hole to start out of.

tapsnap
01-31-2006, 03:29 PM
After my interview and after putting together an estimate that he requested, and after watching the Larry King show that he requested I do, I called him three times and left messages. I blackberried him twice and I emailed him once, asking him whether this job was to go ahead because I wanted to arrange my schedule accordingly. Just a single response to one of those communications would have been great! Fine! OK, I understand! - Thanks for your time! I hope we can work together in the future! etc. etc.
But he thought that it was OK just to ignore all six of those follow-ups. If you like being treated like that, that's just fine, but most people reading this, I'm sure, would find that just plain rude. And I think most prospective employers would think so too.

marble_sheep
01-31-2006, 04:26 PM
I can see you're upset, and it's understandable... but you really should listen to the advice being given to you. These guys know what they'e talking about.

You should have called once, emailed once, and then taken the hint.

I've applied to almost 40 companies in the last 6 months, and I've gotten about 4 (yes, four!) replies... so you simply need to get used it. For example... One time, I even paid 50 bucks to overnight FedEx my reel to a company because they wanted another copy, and I never heard back from them, even after I emailed them. That's just the way it is, man.

Sure, it can be frustrating, but we've all been there, so no point in calling him vulgarities.

Anyway, I'm not trying to piss you off, I'm just trying to offer some helpful advice :beerchug:

Unwanted
01-31-2006, 04:33 PM
I think everyone sympathizes with your frustration, but that doesn't condone your actions. Just write it off as experience learned.

Lessons learned...
1) Don't commit time to someone without money upfront.
2) Don't expect call backs after bidding for projects or applying for jobs.
3) Don't ever do ANYTHING without a signed contract.

You know considering how many times you say you tried to reach him, maybe you sunk your own ship. One or two messages with the final one subtley letting him know that you have other opportunities so you need to know if you'll be needed or not or else you won't be able to guarantee your availability would have sufficed. Your # of messages would scare most folks from using you. Sorry, dude.

For the record, I've been on both sides of this thing. I've reviewed and contracted others as well as applied for jobs and bid on contract work. I try and let people know if they're going to be used and I've had plenty of companies fail to notify me when they've decided not to use me. From Brian's POV, time is money. If you have dozens of people applying, you don't have time to send little notes or calls off to all those unchosen. That's just teh way it is. It's not personal, it's business

tapsnap
01-31-2006, 04:57 PM
Condone your actions?!!!! Condone your actions?!!! You sound like I bombed the building!!! - I called him a F***head. Who here would not agree with that label, based on his lack of action? Why are you taking this guy's side? Is this the way you want to be treated the next time you spend 10 hours preparing for an interview and another 3 hours on follow-up. Time is money, as you say, and a 30 second phone call is not too much to ask, is it?

Unwanted
01-31-2006, 06:46 PM
OK, well good luck in your job search and future endeavors.

tapsnap
01-31-2006, 07:05 PM
Well thank you unwanted, and good luck yourself.

shaol
02-01-2006, 01:02 PM
I thought I would get in on the conversation and say that I had taken air flights to job interviews say from NY to CA and well it would be nice to get a promed thankyou It does take time. You would of gotten something down the road. Also you should be thankful you got an interview not everone get these chances. :D

Life to short to worry about this things

P.s. I,m sure he's not even reading this post anymore. it's old and you just keep helping him stay alive.

Randog
02-03-2006, 12:17 PM
Hey Brian,
Thanks for the interview!
But after 2 hours driving down to your offices one hour of time at your offices and two hours driving back; not to mention the 5 hours of getting my relevant renderings and printouts together, it would have been nice to get one 30 second phone call to say you had found someone else to do the job you f***head!

I cannot see why he did not hire you with such a fantastic, easy going attitude!

BCazzell
02-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Condone your actions?!!!! Condone your actions?!!! You sound like I bombed the building!!! - I called him a F***head. Who here would not agree with that label, based on his lack of action? Why are you taking this guy's side? Is this the way you want to be treated the next time you spend 10 hours preparing for an interview and another 3 hours on follow-up. Time is money, as you say, and a 30 second phone call is not too much to ask, is it?

Yes actually, it is. You seem to be under the impression that you are "entitled" to be treated a certain way by a potential employer. You are not. When you apply for a job, you do what is requested of you, be it submitting a resume, a reel, or whatever. If they like what they see they'll call you in for an interview and you may or may not get the job.

Is it polite to let you know one way or another whether you got the job? Yes. Is it required? No. Are you entitled to it? No. The fact that you spent 13 hours on it means absolutely nothing. It's your job to convince a porential employer that you're the right person for the job. How much or how little time your willing to put into it is your business and quite frankly doesn't and shouldn't matter to anyone else but you.

We get tons of reels, resumes, and portfolios in the mail. We have neither the time or resources to respond to all of them. If you get a call back, great. If you get no response, it certainly won't hurt you to follow up on it. But if you still don't get a response, just assume that you, for whatever reason are not what they were looking for and move on.

Ranting and name calling will do nothing but ruin any chances for future employment. It's a small industry. Things like this get around.

tapsnap
02-03-2006, 02:09 PM
Well, in my opinion, this guy, and others like him, either (a) don't have the balls to call somone back for fear of confrontation, (b). think their time is worth approximately 1500 times more than the mine, or (c) are just god **** lazy. Either way the description is valid. Anyway,the bridge is burned and I have no regrets.
And as far as this little black book that you all keep inferring all art directors keep on who's been naughty and who's been nice on the Newtek website Pfffff!!! That's the funniest thing I've heard all month.

Unwanted
02-03-2006, 02:30 PM
You have 2 pros from 2 big studios saying how things are. I'd listen to them.

tapsnap
02-03-2006, 02:58 PM
And who are you, Mr. Unwanted? I don't see any info in your public profile. Why don't you reveal your true identity, if you dare, so I may put you in my little black book? Wah ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! - wrings hand in anticipation with evil glint in eye.

Randog
02-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Well, in my opinion, this guy, and others like him, either (a) don't have the balls to call somone back for fear of confrontation, (b). think their time is worth approximately 1500 times more than the mine, or (c) are just god **** lazy. Either way the description is valid. Anyway,the bridge is burned and I have no regrets.
And as far as this little black book that you all keep inferring all art directors keep on who's been naughty and who's been nice on the Newtek website Pfffff!!! That's the funniest thing I've heard all month.

Yea. I cannot say I would call you either.

marble_sheep
02-03-2006, 03:36 PM
And who are you, Mr. Unwanted? I don't see any info in your public profile. Why don't you reveal your true identity, if you dare, so I may put you in my little black book? Wah ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! - wrings hand in anticipation with evil glint in eye.

Um... was that really called for? Everyone in this thread has been trying to help you, and show you that you aren't alone in the way you were treated. You fail to recognize two important truths:

1.) Your time is not important enough to warrant a follow-up every time. A studio never owes you anything. Get used to it.

2.) This is an industry of relationships. People talk. Considering that most studios that use Lightwave have employes that are active members here, do you honestly think your actions will go unnoticed?

As I said before, I'm not trying to antagonize you, I just think you need to evaluate whether or not you can handle these truths. If not, then, well... maybe it's time to move on to a different profession.

tapsnap
02-03-2006, 05:06 PM
I cannot see why he did not hire you with such a fantastic, easy going attitude!
Honestly Raindog, do you really think I was anything other than cordial during my interview?: Polite and hanging onto every word he said? Anything other than willing to fullfill any of Brian's slightest whimms for this project? Why would I spend all that time, gasoline, and effort, if all I wanted was confrontation. I'm polite to those who treat me politely and I respect those who treat me respectfully and I always follow up if someone spends time, money and effort to come and see me on my request for work. I understand, if you are receiving hundreds of demos per day for a job, that it may not be economical to reply to everyone but we are not talking Pixar here and this was not just a demo sent in the mail. Brian Lehmbeck told me he had just one other applicant that day, which was Friday, and the job was to start Monday - how hard could it have been? The job either went to him/her or me One 30 second phone call!!!! One 30 second phone call.

Unwanted
02-04-2006, 06:36 AM
Everyone here has put in a lot of effort trying to help you and explain how the business works, what you should or shouldn't expect, and give you some advice for the future. You respond each time emotionally and completely dismiss what everyone tells you.

There's no point in going on with this, then. As I said earlier, good luck.

tapsnap
02-04-2006, 07:59 AM
Everyone here has put in a lot of effort trying to help you and explain how the business works, what you should or shouldn't expect, and give you some advice for the future.
And I'm trying to tell you, I am well aware of how the business works. You send demos off in the mail and most of the time you never hear back and that's fine that's expected. Many people compete for a opening and for one reason or another you aren't right for the job - that's fine - I don't expect a call back or my demo back or anything like that.
You all are assuming this was one of those situations - that dozens of people were clambering for this prestigious, once in a lifetime job and they were swamped with demos that they had to sift through to get the best of the best. As far as I can tell, two of us applied - it was an insignificant mundane little job that anyone could have done with a month of Lightwave experience. It wasn't that I thought the job was beneath me it's just that the word that came to mind was borrrrrrrring but - I needed work so fine - I'll put in the time , effort and expense. Brian was well aware of what he was requesting of me and I was willing to do it all - it's just part of the life of a freelancer. And if after all this he had called me and said "Sorry but we prefer the other guy" or "his estimate came in lower" or whatever, I would have been OK with that. But don't drag my butt down there, make me jump through half a dozen hoops and then ignore me - not for this p***y little job.

kilvano
02-04-2006, 08:10 AM
Ha...any employer will look at this thread and think you're a loony toon!

These people are politely telling you to shut the he ll up and stop making a fool of yourself for the entire 3D community to read!

I agree that it would have been polite for a call back but you didnt get one. Suck it up and move on!

ednachman
02-04-2006, 08:53 AM
Although a Yea or Nay would be nice, consider the cost of "time and money" for the employer to answer over 100 applicants. "Don't call us, we'll call you" is the norm in many industries, particularly the media.

Adrian Lopez
02-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Tapsnap's attitude aside, I can't believe that a company that had the time to interview a candidate in person can't spare a couple of extra minutes to let him know that he didn't get the job. We're not talking about a person who sent in a resume, we're talking about a person who was granted an interview with a prospective employer.

On the other hand, I agree it's time for Tapsnap to suck it up and move on. I was recently interviewed for a job as a computer programmer but never got a callback. Impolite, yes, but at least I know from reading this thread that it's not uncommon.

AbnRanger
02-21-2006, 09:47 PM
Tapsnap, if you snap on here...you'll snap on the job. I've got a hot temper too, sometimes. But, I realize it can be very distructive if I don't keep it under tight control. Spewing off on here with profanities shows the community that you have either an abusive personality or that you're liable to blow up at a moments notice. NOBODY wants to work with a hothead. Plus, when folks in the industry REPEATEDLY tell you something, like EF Hutton...you better listen. Stop getting defensive and take it under advisement.
How many times in your life have you gone out with a date and not called her back? Didn't she deserve a call letting her know she was being "kicked to the curb?" Huh? The fact is, the silence...is your answer. You have cause to be angry or frustated, but not cause to go off like a grenade. You don't have to like it; you just have to deal with it.
Next time around, as some one else stated, I think, let them know during the interview what sort of time frame you need to be notified within, or otherwise you can't guarantee that you'll be available.
Til then, keep sharpening your skills, and put a bridle on that temper.

"A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control." -Proverbs 29:11

jeremyhardin
02-22-2006, 11:54 AM
No offense to you recent posters, but don't you think it's a touch ironic that you bring up a thread that tapsnap hasn't posted to in 2 weeks...
and tell him to suck it up and move on? It would seem he's done just that.

And since we're already off-topic, I'll complain about one experience I had. :D

<rant mode>
I didn't drive for an interview, but I was flown to Florida from California on September 15, 2001 (4 days after 9/11). It was a short term gig and tryout for a permanent position at the same time.
The month expired, I flew away to visit the fam and sat waiting by the phone for a call back. Never came, and wouldn't take my calls. They got their short term gig done and paid me crap.

How on earth do you sleep at night when you jerk people around like that? I don't know. Especially since the organization was a religious organization that supposedly had higher standards of how to deal with people than 'worldly' organizations . Whatever.
</rant mode>

dtkalcec
02-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Here's one advice from someone who's had his share of experience with a lot of "bad" employers and finally decided to stop looking for "a job" and start his own business (I'm a software developer, but that market is crowded as well).

So ... what's stoping you frustrated guys to go out, find a team and start working on the next 3D Game?

If you need software developers, there are tons of them sitting at home and sending out resumes to companies, same way you are. And a lot of them have been idle for 6 or more months, while they could have been working on something useful, something for their future.

I, for one, am starting to think about forming a team and taking a shot at the MMORPG gaming industry. And, even though I have never done anything using 3D modeling tools, I've ordered my Lightwave 8 license, got myself a couple of books and now I'm starting to learn all there is about modeling. After that, I will start designing my 3D models, find me some cheap 3D gaming engine and work my butt off until I have a game ready for shiping.

But, I have to addmit that things like that take time and if you can't afford to work on a big project for at least a year without geting paid, you are "forced" to go out looking for guys who can pay your rent, so you don't end up on the streets.

Cheers,
Danijel Tkalcec

dtkalcec
02-24-2006, 03:57 PM
Or, if you're not fond of working with software developers or don't like 3D games, you could ... start working on your next 3D movie, or ... write a book about using Lightwave or any other tool you know inside-out, or ... create visual training courses for using Lightwave or any other tool you know inside-out, or ... start working on whatever you would be willing to pay someone else to do, but you think you could do it also.

Be creative!

Cheers,
Danijel Tkalcec
http://www.realthinclient.org

Adrian Lopez
02-26-2006, 02:53 PM
No offense to you recent posters, but don't you think it's a touch ironic that you bring up a thread that tapsnap hasn't posted to in 2 weeks...
and tell him to suck it up and move on? It would seem he's done just that.I gotta' remember to look at the date in each post.

Stooch
03-06-2006, 09:06 AM

i could repeat what everyone else have already told you. But i think it would be a waste of my time, considering your attitude. I will let life teach you that lesson. good luck with the job hunt.

Unwanted
03-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Read the first part of Jeremy's post, Stooch.

Stooch
03-06-2006, 09:17 AM
so? I see that the post is old, fine. AFTER i replied. Do i owe the original poster anything? no. anyone can bring his thread back even if it was 5 years old. Thats how forums work. something to keep in mind i guess.