View Full Version : Unreal tournament 2003 demo

Kcarriedo
05-12-2003, 05:20 PM
Unreal Tornament 2003 demo rocks

finally after all this time the demo is here!!!!!:D

kcarriedo

Red_Oddity
05-13-2003, 10:16 AM
Is it possible to use the apllication and system folder from UT2003 in conjunction with the PC version of UT2003?

I mean, just like with the old UT...
That way you can just buy, an often MUCH cheaper, PC version and just use the system folder from the Mac demo....

Red_Oddity
05-13-2003, 10:17 AM
If not, this is another good reason for Mac users to buy a 3 button Logitec mouse...

Kcarriedo
05-13-2003, 04:56 PM
very ture apple needs a 3 button mouse.

It's nice that UT takes advatage of the dual g4.....or soon to be( g5 ):)

kcarriedo

cremegg
05-13-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Kcarriedo
It's nice that UT takes advatage of the dual g4

No it does not! UT2K3 merely ensures that the audio uses a seperate thread which shifts _some_ of the CPU use to the second processor. In reality this does not exceed 125% usage and vary rarely does it actually achieve that amount of use. Also merely placing the audio in a seperate thread does not constitute SMP programming. Epic admitted ages ago that they would not convert the Unreal Engine to be fully SMP aware. I'm not bitching I'm trying to educate. Don't take everything people tell you as gospel, its often just marketing.

Originally posted by Kcarriedo
.....or soon to be( g5 ):)

Bit behind aren't we? There will be no G5 if Apple has any sense and at this rate I doubt Motorola will actually ever produce any. With the addition of AltiVec to IBM's PPC970 it is likely that these will power future desktop systems from Apple. I doubt very much they will be dubbed G5s.

I don't really think that much of UT2K3 on the mac, performance wise. It really needed a FULL SMP workover to achieve suitable frame rates in typical situations. Dual 800Mhz G4 and GeForce 3, with a number of bots visible on screen it can truly reach unplayable frame rates, often leaving me feeling ill and 'fragged'. The best map in the demo seems to be DM-Asbestos as this delivers g0od playable frame rates through the majority of the map.

I'm definately looking to a first generation, single CPU 970 as SMP development just isn't happening.

rick_r
05-14-2003, 07:40 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kcarriedo
[B]very ture apple needs a 3 button mouse.

Maybe you've already figured this out but you can plug any multi button mouse into a mac with OSX and it will work. You can also assign the buttons and wheel in your systems preferences.

Happy gaming.

LeeK
05-14-2003, 11:23 AM
Well it's finally here! :D

I've played the demo in practice mode and also online with some fellow clanmates.

After having played Unreal Tournament for 2 years I can say this; the new one is Visually stunning! Excellent textures and detail.

but... I still prefer UT because it is more "up-close-and-personal", the maps on the new one seem huge and the other players small in comparison. I am running a 500mHz dual G4 and a GeForce 4MX card. Put a few more bots in the game and gameplay becomes unbearably choppy. :(

As much as I have been looking forward to this game, the system requirements will probably never let me fully enjoy it. I will buy the full retail package when it comes out as everyone has said that even on the PC version, the real thing far surpassed the demo. As for long time play... I'll stick to UT for the most part and enjoy the online fragging I get with my clanmates.

Lee aka "+MF+John_Steed"

tallscot
05-14-2003, 04:20 PM
500 Mhz? Don't waste your money. I'd say anything less than a 1 Ghz Mac with either a G4 or a 9700 shouldn't be playing this game.

Spend $150 on an X Box and buy Unreal Championship with X Box Live and the voice communicator. The play is very fast and very smooth.

For the price of a good gaming computer, you can get an X Box and an HD TV! Unreal Championship supports 1080i and digital surround on the X Box.