PDA

View Full Version : Amb Occ. Renderer: Faogen

Lamont
01-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Check it out. Only problem I am having is that LW doesn't have a MTL file so it's not doing a good job, so I can only do vert renders. But still cool none the less and REALLY fast.

http://www.rusteddreams.net/faogen.html

If anyone knows of a good OBJ export for LW, let me know!!

Dodgy
01-03-2006, 03:07 PM
I've written an mtl loader/saver so you should be good to go. Download it from my web site and let me know how you get on :)

Lamont
01-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Dude, it freakin' works!! Have at it LW'ers!!

Lamont
01-03-2006, 03:40 PM
We need a more robust OBJ import/Export NT ^_^!! Or someone...

Matt
01-04-2006, 08:22 AM
Just a point, it needs an OpenGL 2.0 compliant card (appears my one at work isn't)

:(

jasonwestmas
01-05-2006, 05:36 PM
I plead ignorance. Why would we need this and what is ambient occulsion? The lighting effect I saw on the site is really nice but are there game engines that support this kind of effect?

Lamont
01-05-2006, 05:51 PM
Here is a page on Ambient Occlusion ::LINK:: (http://www-viz.tamu.edu/students/bmoyer/617/ambocc/)

A good use is it gives depth to objects with a few params. It's fast as ****, and can make an object look "GI" lit when used properly.

For games, it's just one more tool to get the look we want w/out asking the engine to do it for us. Use it to define muscles on a character... make dirt, all kinds of stuff. Get nice soft shadows in good time.

Apply the result to vertex colors and it saves you a ton on lighting in-game. Just light the character and a few objects.

Panikos
01-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Ambient Occlusion "looks" like GI but its not.
Ambient Occlusion shows the accesibility of the geometry to the Ambient Light, often white.

GI involves light bounces, indirect lighting. color bleeding, caustics plus ... plus ... etc
Its a mistake to equalize the two or compare them cause they are different and of different value.

Captain Obvious
01-05-2006, 09:46 PM
I plead ignorance. Why would we need this and what is ambient occulsion? The lighting effect I saw on the site is really nice but are there game engines that support this kind of effect?
The main use for this is to render the ambient occlusion and apply it as a texture map, not to render it in real-time.

jasonwestmas
01-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Ohhhh, so it's like baking in Global Illumination (Reflective/ Ambient Light) into the color texture. Very cool idea! I love reflective lighting.

Thanks guys!

rusteddreams
01-13-2006, 06:16 AM
Hi,

Faogen updated to v1.1 - http://www.rusteddreams.net/faogen.html :
- Improved quality of generated AO maps
- Object selection by picking them with mouse in viewport
- Increased speed of loading high polygonal objects
- Better UI allows to re-generate AO only for selected objects

New calculation mode weights generated AO by cosine of angle between sampling direction and surface normal. This gives sharper result. Calculation mode used in previous version still available - just set CosineMode to False.

Detailed help file will be released soon.

Lamont
01-13-2006, 09:14 AM
How about some native LWO support? I'll love you till the end of time!!

Can the OBJ format support vertex colors? I would like to get the vertex color info out of FaoGen into Maya or LW.

rusteddreams
01-13-2006, 03:19 PM
How about some native LWO support? I'll love you till the end of time!!

Can the OBJ format support vertex colors? I would like to get the vertex color info out of FaoGen into Maya or LW.

OBJ didn't have vertex colors - calculated per-vertex data is saved into U texture coordinate. I don't know if there is an easy way to convert it to vertex color inside Maya and LW.

Faogen 1.1 has support for format plugins (currently just as experiment - some things will change in next version). And first plugin will be for LWO :)

Lamont
01-13-2006, 03:37 PM
Sweet!! Support vertex colors!!

rusteddreams
02-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Faogen 1.2 - http://www.rusteddreams.net/faogen.html
added LWO I/O.

LWO saving from Faogen is in beta state - not all features exported correctly yet, but this should be fixed soon.

Lamont
02-09-2006, 08:55 PM
You're one of my hero's!! I'll use it in the current comp at CGChat.com!!

rusteddreams
02-21-2006, 01:49 PM
Version 1.3:

- Fixed bug with incorrect interpretation of smooth-groups in loaded scene
- Export scene with materials, which contain ambient occlusion data - for both OBJ and LWO exporters
- Added possibility to enable filtering for ambient occlusion textures (Ctrl+F shortcut)

jasonwestmas
02-21-2006, 02:55 PM
This looks awesome! I gotta check this out. I'll use this thing on our latest game level project for sure now.

Thanks! 50 Bucks isn't bad at all.

One Question, just to be sure: When rendering AO to UV texture, can I apply the lighting effects to a color texture that has already been applied to the object and then bake the AO into the color texture? Or is the idea just to use the grey shaded AO as a guide when painting the texture?

rusteddreams
02-22-2006, 03:47 AM
When rendering AO to UV texture, can I apply the lighting effects to a color texture that has already been applied to the object and then bake the AO into the color texture? Or is the idea just to use the grey shaded AO as a guide when painting the texture?

Faogen didn't take into account color textures from imported scene. But you can modulate your color texture by generated AO map in any image-manipulation software.

jasonwestmas
02-22-2006, 07:35 AM
Ok, so kinda like using the layer and transparency modes inside of Photoshop. Anybody have any tips on applying a greyscale AO to a color UV texture?

Panikos
02-22-2006, 09:52 PM
None of the released versions worked on my PC, win2000 SP4 on GeForce 5600, Nvidia 78.** drivers, running on dual monitor :(

Lamont
02-22-2006, 10:25 PM
.Net installed?
Latest nVidia Drivers?

Panikos
02-23-2006, 12:20 AM
.Net installed.

Havent installed any driver post to 78.**.
I tried once the 80.** and was buggy as ****.

Lamont
02-23-2006, 12:32 AM
That's the problem. You need to upgrade the drivers.

rusteddreams
02-23-2006, 01:04 PM
None of the released versions worked on my PC, win2000 SP4 on GeForce 5600, Nvidia 78.** drivers, running on dual monitor :(

Is any error reported? Or is it just "Application has generated exception that could not be handled"?

rusteddreams
03-01-2006, 10:07 AM
Faogen updated to v1.4 - http://www.rusteddreams.net/faogen.html

Added FaogenBatch - command-line utility for automated ambient occlusion baking. It is a small C# application, which calls into main Faogen library to perform it's tasks. FaogenBatch source code available.

Exception
03-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Wow, is this listen on Flay? If not, make it listed! :)

Panikos
03-01-2006, 01:13 PM
I guess its the drivers. The last drivers sound ok according to rumors so I will change into them sometime and retry.

jasonwestmas
03-01-2006, 08:39 PM
So I take it that Faogen can't generate a AO texture when the UV's are overlapping or mirrored eh? :) No Biggie.

Lamont
03-01-2006, 09:43 PM
So I take it that Faogen can't generate a AO texture when the UV's are overlapping or mirrored eh? :) No Biggie. No overlappinig UV's... You can mirror UV's but they can't share the same space, it will just overwrite them when it get's to that part. But it shouldn't matter for an object like a face, but it can affect the seams.