PDA

View Full Version : Ufo

Rei
05-12-2003, 03:16 PM
Well, I was giving somone a bit of help with modeling and texturing and I ended up with this:

(Rei is suffering from happyness!:D)

uberslayer™
05-12-2003, 08:47 PM
mmmmmmmmm

hope you learned something

jman66
05-13-2003, 12:02 AM
dont mean to come off as rude, but....

... don't you think it looks a little crude to be considered a "finished work" ?

colkai
05-13-2003, 03:05 AM
I guess it was a pretty short lesson, I just knocked something up in 10 minutes, from start to texture & render. One thing, if you are going to knock things like this together. I'd suggest opening the numeric panel for disc/ball and setting the number of segments higher than the default. You'll find 48 rather than 24 gives a much smoother look.

Zombat
05-13-2003, 08:53 AM
this sort of picture brings nostalgia to me - some of my first 3D work was lathes that looked like UFO's...

Zarathustra
05-13-2003, 10:21 AM
The blind leading the blind.

(Zarathustra is just plain suffering:mad: )

colkai
05-13-2003, 11:06 AM
Not wishing to hijack your thread, but here's the 5-min example i mentioned http://www.colkai.dsl.pipex.com/miscwork/ufotest.jpg
Notice how much smoother the edging is

Rei
05-13-2003, 11:13 AM
Yeah strange how similar they look. :confused: Also where did you get the background from?

Just to clarify things, I was making somthing to show somone how to do something, I got bored after making it and ended up with the above...

mattclary
05-13-2003, 02:23 PM
That's the Horsehead Nebula, I think. One of the most common stellar photos you will ever find on the net (or anywhere for that matter).

edit... or is that Orion?

js33
05-13-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Rei
Well, I was giving somone a bit of help with modeling and texturing and I ended up with this:

Crappy as usual. I hope you aren't actually thinking you will get a job doing this.

Cheers,
JS

colkai
05-13-2003, 03:48 PM
Yup, they are similar because I was trying to show how quickly it could be created and smoothed out.
So I threw a copy up, with a couple of tiny changes. Even avoided putting different textures on so you could see the comparision more clearly.

Matt's right, straaght from the hubble space telescope website, more space pics than you could ever reasonably want ;)

Rikturscale
05-13-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by js33
Crappy as usual. I hope you aren't actually thinking you will get a job doing this.

Cheers,
JS

Have you ever noticed how people that post stuff like this never post their own work?

Posts like this are useless crying from very small people.

js33
05-14-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Rikturscale
Have you ever noticed how people that post stuff like this never post their own work?

Hehehehehe
I guess you haven't noticed that Rei has a habit of posting crappy stuff on purpose to get a rise out of people. He also posts stuff from his friend alter ego Epita that is equally crappy. I hope to god he doesn't really expect us to take him seriously.
Oh by the way I have won about 12 Telly awards over the last 5 years and just won another one for TxDot (Texas Dept of transportation). I also recently completed an animation for a company to show at their both at NAB. So I have a few things going to back up what I say. Also others here will agree with me as well.

Cheers,
JS

colkai
05-14-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Rikturscale

But alas, the quality of the work does indeed leave something to be desired, insensitive it may be, but as he said, there are times you need to be blunt.

There appear to be many "newbies" on here who are not getting to grips with LW, or are not trying. There is enough material out there to assist if you put a bit of time in. But if the intent is to goad people into a reaction, then I guess it's done its job :p

Zombat
05-14-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by mattclary
That's the Horsehead Nebula, I think. One of the most common stellar photos you will ever find on the net (or anywhere for that matter).

edit... or is that Orion?

The horsehead is PART (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap000827.html) of the orion nebula. That is actually a picture of M16, or the Eagle Nebula. Much like M16, the Trifid Nebula (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap990608.html) also has the dust clouds.

Here (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020611.html) is another shot of the Eagle Nebula. as isThis (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap030213.html)

Hope this helps :)

Zarathustra
05-14-2003, 08:48 AM
Yes, Rei/Epita is provocative. Perhaps if we just boycot future postings then he/she/it will go away. Continued responses (I'm plenty guilty) just fuel the fire.

Hiraghm
05-14-2003, 10:05 AM
With all those plaudits for your 3d rendering, js33, you need not fear for room on your mantlepiece for any humanitarian or congeniality awards.

"Crappy, as usual" is never a productive criticism of someone else's work. There's a difference between being critical and being insulting. Even if you don't want to encourage Rei to try to do better, other newbies read the posts and decide against posting their own work for fear of pointlessly harsh and meaningless criticisms (such as.. say.... "crappy as usual".)

Absolutely, many people, myself included, occassionally need to be told "that's not up to standard; here's why...." Which "Crappy as usual" just doesn't accomplish.

We don't have to greet every post with "Attaboys!", but we don't ever have to greet any post with, "That's shjt!".

One last time, "Crappy as usual" is not blunt. It's insulting.

Zarathustra
05-14-2003, 10:26 AM
I'll take his awards over the congeniality award any day.

This is a unique case with a unique, provocative user. He probably wouldn't post like that to someone else. "as usual" indicates familiarity.

Sure, a newbie might get the wrong impression by the post, but if they actually stuck around long enough and looked at more postings they should be ok. Hell, maybe Rei/Epita is actually beneficial since a newbie would certainly be encouraged to post their work after seeing Rei/Epita's crap.
If there were more WIP postings by people like Ripper, I think that would do more to discourage Newbies. Hell, it discourages me a little until I snap out of it and just set his Tom Cruise as my new benchmark.

...and another thing (so much for the boycott), if a newbie said, "I'm a newbie" and posted that ufo the response would be different. Rei/Epita has an arrogance as if he/she/it knows what's what (teaching now? Christ!) then posts crap. THAT'S why people respond like js33!

Somewhere right now Rei/Epita is sitting giggling reading this and planning the next crappy post to stir up another s h i tstorm.

Hiraghm
05-14-2003, 12:21 PM
Zar, you've established already that you prefer being rude to be sociable. It's not surprising. Personally, I'd prefer my 25 Nobel science prizes and 17 Oscars to all of his prizes. (We only have his word that he actually has those awards, after all.)

If a newbie stuck around and looked at more posts by the "verbal abuse equates to education" crowd, they won't learn a darn thing, other than that this is not a place to go to develop your skills and seek advice. It's the rest of us who can be civil and offer constructive criticism that would encourage a newbie to stick around, oh, and actually learn something.

As for dealing with Rei, the proper way, the way I dealt with Rei, is to ignore the post. You don't get him to go away by rising to the bait, from either direction.

Adolescents often think that rude "frankness" is somehow more honest and constructive than civility. They eventually learn that civility accomplishes more than rudeness, and need have no more effect on the truth than rudeness. Well, most of them do.

Rei
05-14-2003, 12:38 PM
Ok, I dont really care what you people say, I am not going to get put off trying to get better. I am still a newbie, are you happy now.

This UFO had nothing really to do with what I was demonstrating, I had modeled a small thing, finished, got bored, messed around and ended up with that.

Say what you like, I have already learned to ignore most people's comments. If you want to say its crap, feel free, I know that I will get better.

Rei (or whoever)

jman66
05-14-2003, 12:40 PM
I think people would be less agitated if you would mention that in the first place.

I'm prettymuch a newbie myself, and I have a LOT of stuff (test models/ renders etc.) that I modeled and rendered, however I wont go out and post them all unless:

1.) I am looking for advice on ways to improve whatever it is i'm showing, in which case i would post in the WIP forum.

or

2.) A finished, 'polished' work that I would like everyone to see.

If you want to learn, why not start a project and go thru it in the wip forum. Take peoples suggestions and advice seriously.

Zarathustra
05-14-2003, 01:00 PM
H: What's adolescent is assuming the man is lying about his awards and accomplishments. Yeah, that's "civil".
I took time to see his sight. Have you?
Also, don't act like you know me, because obviously you don't, nor have you taken the time to read ALL my posts. I've given a lot of people advice, specific instructions and links to sites that would be helpful. I also will not hesitate to chastise someone who is just wasting everyone's time (or if they can't tell the difference between a WIP and a finished piece).

Jman66: I'm glad a newcomer said what you said, instead of one of us alleged "'verbal abuse equates to education' crowd". Thank you.

cessna
05-14-2003, 01:29 PM
Dude,

This is the worst thing I have ever seen in my whole life!!! Crappy Crappy as it can get....fix it !!!!!

cessna

Rei
05-14-2003, 01:54 PM
Why did this kick up such a mess anyway. I posted somthing which i know isnt amazing, far from it, and people (Zara) take it as some sort of statement and make a big fuss. I know Z has made constructive crits, I am not the one arguing that (and it is my thread)

Cessna - so what?

jman - Its not somthing i wanted to learn from, I have a project that I am working on that I learn from.

Calm down!

js33
05-14-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Hiraghm
With all those plaudits for your 3d rendering, js33, you need not fear for room on your mantlepiece for any humanitarian or congeniality awards.

"Crappy, as usual" is never a productive criticism of someone else's work. There's a difference between being critical and being insulting. Even if you don't want to encourage Rei to try to do better, other newbies read the posts and decide against posting their own work for fear of pointlessly harsh and meaningless criticisms (such as.. say.... "crappy as usual".)

Hiraghm,

Rei has a habit of posting lame stuff hoping to get a rise.
If you have done like Zarathustra suggested and read other posts from me you will see that I give constructive crits to people who honestly are trying to better themselves.
I don't normally react mean to people. And Yes I do have all those awards on my site and more which I haven't put up there yet. I didn't win them by doing 5 minute renders and pretending to be accomplishing something.

Rei,

If you are honestly trying to better yourself you should post to the WIP forum and state the circumstances and you will be much better received. You have to admit posting something that looks like it took 5 minutes to make does not belong in the Finished forum.

Cheers,
JS

FenrirWolf
05-14-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Hiraghm
If a newbie stuck around and looked at more posts by the "verbal abuse equates to education" crowd, they won't learn a darn thing, other than that this is not a place to go to develop your skills and seek advice. It's the rest of us who can be civil and offer constructive criticism that would encourage a newbie to stick around, oh, and actually learn something. At the risk of rankling some of the vets on here, I do have to agree.

I'm a newbie. No joke about it. I don't model 3d professionally, nor do I plan to. I do 3d work in my free time (rarely) for video game projects I also work on in free time (even more rarely. :)). I sit down and actually work with Lightwave perhaps once a week, if even that.

I do occasionally talk in the Tips-and-Tricks subforums, ask for help and try to give what meager advice I can.

But when it comes to the WIP/Finished galleries, I haven't got the balls to post anything. Because I know my work isn't that much better than that there flying saucer. And I've seen far too many "are you serious?" style comments to feel completely alienated to posting any of my work here.

I spend far more than five minutes on my 3d stuff and it still isn't that good. It's a dilemma. I'd love to post my stuff to get help on improving my skills, but I have a feeling it would just be shot down with "what is kind of crap" style posts pretty early. :(

js33
05-14-2003, 08:02 PM
Naw Don't worry about it. Rei is not a regular newbie but someone that posts bad stuff to get a rise. Post your stuff in the WIP forum and state you are a newbie looking for advice or suggestions and you won't have any problem.

Cheers,
JS

uberslayer™
05-14-2003, 08:39 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The horsehead is PART of the orion nebula. That is actually a picture of M16, or the Eagle Nebula. Much like M16, the Trifid Nebula also has the dust clouds.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How incredibly interesting..................

Don't get out much Zombat?

Hurben
05-14-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Rei

How funny..

oxyg3n
05-15-2003, 01:18 AM
I have a question for those of you that think REI is trying to get a rise out of the community by posting LESS than stellar work.

If you actually think that she is sitting at her computer now reading this and enjoying the mental anguish she is causing you, why do you continue to tallk about her work?

It will only encourage her.

colkai
05-15-2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by jman66
I'm prettymuch a newbie myself, and I have a LOT of stuff (test models/ renders etc.) that I modeled and rendered, however I wont go out and post them all unless:
1.) I am looking for advice on ways to improve whatever it is i'm showing, in which case i would post in the WIP forum.
or
2.) A finished, 'polished' work that I would like everyone to see.

JMan - Bang on, I think we all have models like that, but would never dream of positing it as 'completed'. Yours its the attitude that WOULD get decent responses, though you always gotta watch out for the few. Given thime, you learn who they are. So come on in, the water isn't as choppy as it appears on the surface! :D

The only down side, is when you think you've finished and some damn good for nothing talented genius posts something to show just how far you have yet to go! :p

oxyg3n:
I guess we can't help falling into the same old traps. Even I, a normally easy-gonig guy, find I see so many things like this and get my "angry old man" head on! ;)

For everyone else who works at that level, but WANT to learn, post in the WIP forum with 'fer gawds sake help me" pleas and you'll start to get valid responses. Trust me, it does happen. Hell, I'll tell ya what, I'll even get the ball rolling myself this weekend - some of my older work is so bad, I flinch when I open it in LW :D

Zarathustra
05-15-2003, 08:10 AM
I haven't forgotten my humble start. There were 2 guys who started on the Amiga whose shoulders I initially peered over. Even after 6 years or so I still feel like a newbie. There are dozens of things about LW that I know nothing about. MD. HV. Hell, I finally jumped into UV mapping about 6 weeks ago.
This whole 'afraid to post' and 'proper ettique of posting' just resurfaces constantly. It's really ridiculous and the issues will probably never get set straight but I'm going to take a damn serious stab at it.

This is a wonderfully supportive community. There are a dozens of tutorials that have sprung out of an initial posting that fueled ideas. There are no shortage of people willing to critique your work and give advice. Now stop for a moment and think just how INVALUABLE that is. Sure, there are meanspirited postings but they are the minority and I believe easy to just scroll past.
I believe if you preface your posting with your intent (ie- "I'm a newbie and this is my first...", "I'm trying to understand MM and this is my attempt....", etc.) then your responses will be mostly helpful.
As for ettique, as I said you can just scroll past the bad posts if they offend you that much. I just can't repeat enough how invaluable it is to get feedback, good or bad, on your work. Hell, try and stop someone on the streets of Philadelphia (City of Brotherly Love) and ask for the time - good luck. Post here and someone not only responds but actually critiques your work! They may even suggest ways to improve. Outside of schools or working with a team of other artists, where can you get that? WHERE?

I still believe you can sift through mean postings and actually pull out useful bits. If you can't, then scroll past them. Besides, if you log on here with a ridiculous username (like 'Zarathustra') and don't post any information about yourself, who cares if some jerk points at you and laughs. NOBODY KNOWS WHO YOU REALLY ARE. Imagine how nice it would be if you could try everything in life without fear of embarrassment. Besides, at the end of the day, what does it matter if someone named "the Funginator" with an avatar of a big, yellow toe says your work sucks? I mean, really...

Remember, "That which doesn't kill me makes me stronger."

This whole thread is a special incident. People (me too) overreacted because of the history of the user and the accompanying message, not simply the quality of the work. Sure oxyg3n, we should have just ignored the initial posting but at this point it's taken a life of it's own and has brought up issues like I just addressed that I feel need to be addressed. Hopefully in the future we can ignore provocative postings like this initially was.

Rei
05-15-2003, 12:02 PM
I should have said that it took 5 mins to do, and that I was posting it for fun. I didnt ask for any crits, and I havent got any.

I am not getting a rise out of pissing people off, it almost makes me sad that people think that they have to reply to things like this saying so.

I know I've posted some really crappy work, and I am getting better (I belive that if none of you do). So in a few months time, when I have finished the work I have at the moment, and my animation is fully finished, I will post an image again (movie whatever).

If you don't like it, don't touch it.

loebek
05-19-2003, 04:30 AM
rei your work is not crap!
you should see my images. they are holy carp!
try to add subtile layered surfaces.
also try to add a diffuse map.

avoid 100% textures, colors

loebek

Jason Choi
05-19-2003, 01:04 PM
I like the background your images.

Cheers,

colkai
05-20-2003, 04:19 AM
If you like the background, you should visit the hubble space telescope site! I could spend all day just looking at some of the amazing images on there!:D

loebek
05-21-2003, 06:52 AM
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/index.html

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

http://www.shatters.net/celestia/

cu
loebek