PDA

View Full Version : FBX Converter

lesterfoster
01-01-2006, 10:17 PM
During watching some QuickTime video’s on the internet, QuickTime tolled me that I have to install a plug-in to see this link. So QuickTime took me to a plug-in page. On that page was a link to this plug-in page. It looks useful. So I thought that I would pass it on to the LW community.

FBX Converter (http://www.alias.com/glb/eng/products-services/product_details.jsp?productId=1900004)

Check out the --<FBX Converter>-- at the bottom of the page. It looks like it can convert almost any 3D file tipe.

Silkrooster
01-01-2006, 10:50 PM
And here is newtek's plugin. http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/downloads/FBX.php
Silk

Johnsongraphix
03-29-2006, 08:35 AM
.sit downloaded on the mac then expanded causes error with Suffit Expander. Installer mounts then goes through the process. Error is in something about writing BOM something or other.

Does anyone know of another Expander program for the Mac, or how I can get this plugin installed.

Sure would like to use it!

dballesg
03-29-2006, 04:05 PM
Hi,

This is the new link to the fbx plugin:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=6837478

BTW note that they mention Newtek on the supporters of the FBX Format? ;)

Best regards,
David

Johnsongraphix
03-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Ok, I installed the plugin for Lightwave. I had a coworker send me an exported FBX file from a 3dmax scene he's working on.

The File size is 109MB -seems rather large to me.

I import it and I get a message that macintosh file sytem can't load the texture because the path or name is too long. I will have to manually load my textures....ok.

I click through 10-15 of these and after 20 min of waiting LW crashes, after the third time I was getting ticked.

Anyhow, something happened and all these LW object files are in the folder, and a new texture folder was created, but no scene file.

Is this a mac thing?

Anyone????

DragonFist
03-31-2006, 12:18 AM
I am a little pissed with this. The FBX plug-in has had some issues unaddress with the lightwave version for a while (rotation messed up, etc.) and now that autodesk has it, the latest version has no lightwave version. WTF?!?!?

colkai
03-31-2006, 01:39 AM
You can put money on the fact it's only gonna get worse. I've stuck with MB5.5 and the 5.3 FBX plugin - works fine.
It's no surprise they are favouring what are now essentially their own products.

BazC
03-31-2006, 02:06 AM
I am a little pissed with this. The FBX plug-in has had some issues unaddress with the lightwave version for a while (rotation messed up, etc.) and now that autodesk has it, the latest version has no lightwave version. WTF?!?!?

Well no great surprises there! I wasn't expecting altruism from Autodesk! Actually I think .lwo would make a great standard format, it's already used by many applications is apparently easy to implement and carries a wide range of data. Seems ideal to me!

BTW I installed .fbx plug for Quicktime yesterday and couldn't get it to work, has anyone had success with it on Mac?

Johnsongraphix
03-31-2006, 01:08 PM
Ok, so what I'm getting from all of this, is that FBX is awesome as long as you are using an Autodesk product or an old version of LW, or MB. I haven't tried the QT pluging yet, but now a am a little comprehensive about going this FBX route at all. Sounds great but I don't need to waste my time figuring out what works with what and when and how. Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'm sticking with obj for now.

I will be getting Vue5 soon and I was happy to see the import export options and all the wonderful features. Could this possibly be a link between multiple 3d apps?

colkai
04-01-2006, 01:59 AM
Don't need an "old" version of LW - 8.5 is the current release. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it didn't still work in LW9 when that is released using the FBXLW80.p plugin.