PDA

View Full Version : Rediscover LW ^_^!

Lamont
01-01-2006, 02:37 PM
I had a HDD crash last week, and usually I just install my backup of my configs and plugins. But this time, I decided to clean up my menu's and key configs. And while in a state of brain-fart, I hit "Shift+u" to un-do, but it brought up the image below. Then I messed around with it and it's a really cool tool. Maybe there was a LW vid on it somewhere... I dunno, but I found it today.

shermanlu
01-01-2006, 03:58 PM
This tool will cut the edges(between points) that you've selected... so, it'll add points between selected points.

Lamont
01-01-2006, 04:29 PM
This tool will cut the edges(between points) that you've selected... so, it'll add points between selected points.Yeah, I know. It's just cool.

ercaxus
01-01-2006, 08:24 PM
I don't use it but I believe you can define three shortcuts for three seperate presets of cut as quickcut 1 ,2 ,3. It might be handy.

somnambulance
01-01-2006, 11:22 PM
crazy hidden tools everywhere!

cresshead
01-02-2006, 12:58 AM
proton made a short vid on this to show what was due in lw8.0 pre launch..

there's TONS of cool tools in lw...that's why is SO highly regardedas a modeler!

btw just been watching a dvd on xsi for intro stuff and whilst xsi has some nice things in it..it also has a couple of TONS of tools NOT in there...or very slow workflow for some simple tasks....obviously not all stuff in xsi is lacking
and some things are quite nice....yet lightwave has an huge stck of tools either built in or available for free... :lwicon:

Lamont
01-02-2006, 01:16 AM
Yeah, I will always model in LW first.

Para
01-02-2006, 02:20 AM
Just in case you're wondering, that's one of David Ikeda's tools added to LW8. There's also preset versions of this tool, named QuickCut[1/2/3].

Jeff_G
01-02-2006, 07:36 AM
btw just been watching a dvd on xsi for intro stuff and whilst xsi has some nice things in it..it also has a couple of TONS of tools NOT in there...

Sorry, I disagree with you there. When we switched from LW to XSI at our studio, I was frustrated that XSI didn't do things the LW way, but once I learned how to do things the XSi way, I've not used LW modeler since. What in particular can LW do that XSI can't?

Off topic, but is that a standard interface look for LW 8.x? Or is that interface something Ikeda created just to have an interface?

cresshead
01-02-2006, 10:11 AM
hi jeff...not wanting to get into a flame war just my observations on xsi foundation 4.2 which i've had for a while..just been going thru digital tutors training dvd's....which have really helped me start to try and get in xsi

revolution tool [lathe] ony has u and v settings for control and 1 defaults to 8 segments...not sure if it can dial down/up to 6,12,13,26,54 segments in the revolve..[maybe there's another revolve/lathe tool that does have more options..]

no units of measurement other than 'generic units' that work out to be 1 unit for a decemeter [10cm]...it's okay but may lead to some resizing of objects when you work in a studio as someone's 'unit' maybe huge compared to another modelers descision on what a unit was/is.

not all views are there...there is a workaround on flipping a viewport but seems a bit odd not being able to just choose left, right, top, bottom, front and back like that of lw....

radial array...not seen a tool that can work in the same simple manner as radial array which is a lightwave tool...in the xsi tutorial he had to get the windows calculator out and 'work out' how many degrees to type in to a clone field rather than just say i want 30 copies in z axis which you can do in lw..simple stuff in lw but lacking in a good workflow for xsi.

if your using a background images in xsi [rotoscope] and even if you 'lock' that view [you have to lock it to keep it from moving around]..if/when you forget and you hit 'f' to frame in on someting it unlocks your rotoview and zooms to the object so that you now have to manually reset the view backup again...maybe in xsi 5 the lock roto view DOES lock now...

UV gizmo...when to make uv's for a cylindrical object and you choose a cylindrical uv..the viewport uv gismo doesn't try and matchup to the size of your object like that of 3dsmax..you have to manually size it...standard projections seem to size up to the object but the cylindrical doesn;t...unless the trainer on the dvd was doing it wrong that is!.......

don't want to list loads of stuff here as it's negative to xsi & rather off topic !

Yog
01-02-2006, 12:36 PM
revolution tool [lathe] ony has u and v settings for control and 1 defaults to 8 segments...not sure if it can dial down/up to 6,12,13,26,54 segments in the revolve..[maybe there's another revolve/lathe tool that does have more options..]In the Revolve tool pannel, you can either set the sub-division type to "per span" (defaults to base 8), or set it to "absolute" which works just like LW (in both axis).

no units of measurement other than 'generic units' that work out to be 1 unit for a decemeter [10cm]...it's okay but may lead to some resizing of objects when you work in a studio as someone's 'unit' maybe huge compared to another modelers descision on what a unit was/is.You mean the same way that Ron Thornton, the original LW god, likes to work :thumbsup: Yep, probably the one thing I would like to change, but really no biggy. Personally I have a lot more trouble accepting MAX files from other MAX users because of the unweildy two unit system MAX uses.

not all views are there...there is a workaround on flipping a viewport but seems a bit odd not being able to just choose left, right, top, bottom, front and back like that of lw.... Again, no biggy, but if you feel strongly about it, you could copy the command direct from the script editor and paste it directly onto a custom button for future use.

radial array...not seen a tool that can work in the same simple manner as radial array which is a lightwave tool...in the xsi tutorial he had to get the windows calculator out and 'work out' how many degrees to type in to a clone field rather than just say i want 30 copies in z axis which you can do in lw..simple stuff in lw but lacking in a good workflow for xsi. I don't know why the instructor had to reach for a calculator, unless he was demonstrating the long way to impart more information, rather than just the fastest way ?. Typing 9 copies and then in the rotation field typing 360/10, produces 10 evenly spaced objects just like it does in LW. In fact as well as absolute angles, you can use the "L" switch to set up percentage ranges, or the "R" switch to set up random angle/distance ranges.

if your using a background images in xsi [rotoscope] and even if you 'lock' that view [you have to lock it to keep it from moving around]..if/when you forget and you hit 'f' to frame in on someting it unlocks your rotoview and zooms to the object so that you now have to manually reset the view backup again...maybe in xsi 5 the lock roto view DOES lock now...If ever I do any rotoscope work, the first thing I do after I have it lined up the way I like it, is to save a memocam. That way if I make a mistake and accidentally press "f", all I have to do to correct my mistake is to press the memocam button again to restore the view.

UV gizmo...when to make uv's for a cylindrical object and you choose a cylindrical uv..the viewport uv gismo doesn't try and matchup to the size of your object like that of 3dsmax..you have to manually size it...standard projections seem to size up to the object but the cylindrical doesn;t...unless the trainer on the dvd was doing it wrong that is!....... I haven't currently got a version of XSI loaded earlier than version-5, but it works as you suggested it should here, and I don't actually remember it working differently (wrong) in previous versions. Possibly the trainer was doing it incorrectly, but I'm not sure how as it all works fairly automatically ?

don't want to list loads of stuff here as it's negative to xsi & rather off topic !Good idea :D

Lewis
01-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Hi Lamont !

Yes CUT tool is loong time here :). I'm using it on daily basis (works similar like Bandsaw but it cuts only selected polys and works on triangles also). I had "bug report" about it in version 8.3 (or it was 8.2.1). It's not real bug (since tool works), but CUT in 8.0 was INTERACTIVE (like bandsaw pro) and now from 8.3 it's not interactive anymore so we got reduced/slower workflow :(. I really hope they (NT) solved that for LW 9 'coz they killed interactivity because in some situations it could crash modeler (someone reported that but i never experianced that bug/crash). It's very good tool but it could be better if unified with bandsaw pro (make just two more buttons in bandsaw pro window - "cut triangles also" and "selection only") and it would lead to better modeler.

Lamont
01-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Yeah, when I started messing with it, I was thinking "This should be in the same panel as bandsaw".

But still a cool tool none the less.

Now, what the heck are these tools:

ercaxus
01-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Those are subpatch interpolation options for UV maps. I don't know why they are there but they are there :)