PDA

View Full Version : From lightwave to maya

Leprechaun
12-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Im trying to make the transition. Im finding maya to be very confusing. Things that are so simple in lightwave seem to be difficult to do or find in maya. Has anyone else made this transition? and if so does anyone know of any good very basic tutorials?
thanks

Hoopti
12-31-2005, 07:45 AM
Maybe you should try a Maya forum, like the one at CGTalk to help on this one.

Intuition
12-31-2005, 02:00 PM
I've been using Maya for 3 years now. I still prefer Lightwave though.

Maya should be approached from scratch.

Even though I use it regularly I still can do things about 2 to 3 times faster in Lightwave due to LW's simple interface and Its Modeler/Layout approach.

Now Maya has all these tools in the same area which can be confusing at first but should be learned on its own merit.

Maya has a somewhat clunky interface as far as how you reach numerical values and put on textures and what not, there is no reasoning why each interface is put where it is but once you learn where everything is and how to quick key these items you'll be burning through in no time.

On a side note I have heard of an Interface for Maya that converts it to look like Lightwave with all the values converted to %'s and the panels located like they are in Lightwave. I've asked around and have recieved no responses about it though so perhaps it is an internet myth.

Maya is currently my Cloud and Lava tool since Lightwave can do most of the rest. OH Maya has better sync with Z-Brush right now as well but hopefully LW9 will correct that.

Barry Oborne
01-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Leprechaun,
I started my animation studies in Lightwave and fell in love with the program and the people. I moved from California to south India on a spirtual oddessy several years ago. I found that here in India no one uses LW and I mean no one. everyone used either 3Dmax or Maya. I did not what to stop animating so I enroled in a very intensive animation course that used Maya as the princple tool. I found the transiton very difficult and went form being pretty fast and not bad in Lw to a slug in Maya. Maya definetely has some strong features UV mapping etc. however I do not think it is as nimble a program as LW. Working with Lw is like working with a couple of really cool guys_and gals_ but working with Maya seems like working with a big bulky machine.The point is your not alone. I will research tuts for you if you can tell me what aspect your working with ie modeling etc. Also on Amazon you can find an emormous amount of material but it is expensive except for the QuickStart book. I just got a new job that -Ug- has nothing to do with animation but to keep my hand active in the art I started working in LW again. And it is so much easier take morphing as one example. The other part of LW that is so great is the community these people are so supportive I never feel alone. I will try to help if I can I know some pretty good May professionals.
Best of luck my personal email address is [email protected]
Barry

Leprechaun
01-01-2006, 05:56 PM
thanks guys. Learning maya for me is like having to learn 3d modeling and animation all over again. One thing that really annoys me is that on the maya site, in order to access most of the tutorials u have to pay to get a silver or platinum membership. One would think that if a person pays all the money for the program that the company would atleast give free access to learning tutorials. The only reason that im trying to learn maya is to get a broader range of medium, so later in life i have a better chance at getting jobs. After maya im going to try to learn some of 3d studio max. Do any of u guys know if thats as dificult to get accustomed to as maya is?

ercaxus
01-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Try using blender3d. If you can get used to blender you can use anything :))
I think after maya max shouldn't be a problem.

Stooch
01-01-2006, 11:45 PM
I find that Maya was actually rather easy to transfer to. The trick is to use what works best for you in LW to your advantage. You can drag buttons, melscript history directly onto any custom toolbar and label them as anything you want. there is also the almighty space bar hud, man that thing is genius, what hurts it is the fact that it tries to show you everything at once, i like to clear that and put what i want to, in the order of importance, IE what is used more often, will be easiest to get to. For example, your most used features should be keyboard shortcuts. then you have a second level of access for things less often used but still important and then icons are a last wave of shortcuts you dont want cluttering your keyboard and mouse menus. So you really dont even need alot of icons since most are already covered. I cant stress enough about customising interface, you get to quickly familiarize yourself to functions and really enhance your workflow.

then there is the CPS tool, i used alot and its tool shelf is brilliant! all the modeling functions at your fingertips!

You can make any window, dock, tear it off, resize and fill it with buttons you like (i believe it was ctrl-alt and then drag the icon into the location)

alot of Maya is very different then lightwave but i wouldnt say you want to learn maya from scratch, i found the transition to be smooth, but have used icon heavy apps before.

again, the spacebar hud is amazing. you can snap to so many things so fast with it...