PDA

View Full Version : Morph Chain

Surrealist.
12-30-2005, 08:18 PM
Rather than do this with Multimorph Single Env and set up morph targets I thought I could do this in Morph Mixer with endomorphs.

I set up a series of morphs that are a succession of change using Apply Morph.

I have:

Original Shape

Endomnorh 1
( a gradient toward the shape I want)

Edomorph 2
(started from endomorph 1 by using apply morph then advanced further toward the shape I want)

And so on until I reach the shape I want.

In Layout, with subdivision order set to last on the object ,I set up morph mixer so that endomorph 1 is 100 percent at frame 60 and at this frame create a key for endormoph 2 at 0 percent. Then at frame 120 I set endomorph 2 at 100 percent.

IN theory this should create a smooth transition between these two shapes.

Am I right?

For some reason when I bring up the next endomorph the object begins going toward the original shape. (frame 120) In otherwords, as long as endomorph 1 is still in effect at frame 120 the object is FUBAR.

If I bring endomorph down from frame 60 to 120 so that it is 0 at 120 I strill get unpredicable results in the transition.

What am I doing wrong here?

I want to get a smooth transisiton between the morphs. Do I have to use morph targets rather than endomorphs?

I am using 8.5

Thanks.

Lamont
12-30-2005, 09:11 PM
Can you post an image or two? Or even email me the scene w/files?

Surrealist.
12-30-2005, 11:42 PM
Hey I may wind up doing it the other way to morph surfaces. I'll post some pics if I have anymore probs.

Thanks for the reply.

SplineGod
12-31-2005, 01:02 AM
Remember that endomorphs are additive. This means at some point youll have to subtract out the previous morphs.

Surrealist.
12-31-2005, 03:36 PM
Remember that endomorphs are additive. This means at some point youll have to subtract out the previous morphs.

Thanks Larry, I gues I kind of figured that but it was doing weird stuff even so... I could not get a smooth transition even with pulling out the morph because that is not what I want.

For instance, if I pull morph 1 back it is going back to the original shape while I am bringing in morph 2. I want a transision from morph 1 to morph 2 and I don't want the original shape mixed in.

But if I keep morph 1 in place it gets really wierd - as you say it is additive.

So I guess the only way to do it is with separate objects.

Am I Correct in this?

BTW

Happy New Years!

Surrealist.
12-31-2005, 04:26 PM
OK this is odd. I changed my morphs over from relative to absolute - just had to redo them all after I modified my base object!!

I did this by creating a new morph and then used apply morph to create the same morph but be absolute so I can modify the original object. Of course I deleted the relative morphs.

Anyway, now I have the new absolute morphs but they are absent in Morph mixer and in Apply Morph. What gives?

SplineGod
12-31-2005, 04:44 PM
Morph mixer can only use relative morphs. I would use MTSE morphs

Surrealist.
12-31-2005, 05:05 PM
Morph mixer can only use relative morphs. I would use MTSE morphs

Thanks for that info. I was able to salvage the morphs with the airbrush tool and create new relative morphs.

Isn't there a way to change morph types?

Anyway, now I have a wonderful new problem trying to use these as objects.

In Layout I set the subpatch level to 0 and used saved transformed.

Lovely. Now trying to use these objects - which look exactly the same to me in modeler. Same geometry.

I get an error in Layout when I try to use one as a target saying must be the same number of points.

OK. Now what? I guess I'll try apply morph on a copy in a new layer. See what happens.

EDIT: That seemed to work. Wonder why save trans didn't? Should have been the same number of points with subpach set to 0. Anyhoo...

Off to more adventure...

SplineGod
12-31-2005, 05:24 PM
Theres also a couple of plugins that will export endomorphs as a sequence of objects.

Surrealist.
12-31-2005, 05:34 PM
Theres also a couple of plugins that will export endomorphs as a sequence of objects.

Thanks. I also figured out the point number problem. It had to do with different subpatch settings in the morph target objects. So save trans was fine.