PDA

View Full Version : Help with Custom Resolutions

drfoley
12-30-2005, 02:52 PM
Having problems with custom resolutions in LW8.3.

If I try to render an image with say a resolution of 4096x3072 the frame will render; however, it wont allow me to Save the image.

Standard default resolutions are no problem. I need the image for a background plate. I have read of people using custom resolutions but how are they able to Save their images?

I know I'm missing something here but what is it?

Thanks,
DrFoley

JML
12-30-2005, 03:22 PM
if I understood, you are using F9, right?
displaying an high resolution image (image viewer) after a render takes some memory, and if there is not enough memory, it won't show up and you lose your render.
the safest thing is to go in render option and enter the save path there and
put first and last frame to 0 and then press F10.

drfoley
01-01-2006, 12:59 PM
That helped but I can only render as high as 3000x2000.

I have 4 Gigs of RAM
AMD Athlon 64 FX-55
512Megs of video RAM

How can I get my resolution higher?

DrFoley

JML
01-01-2006, 03:38 PM
you have to split the image using limited region if you can't render higher resolutions.
there is some plugin out there that can split a scene automatically..
or you can do it yourself by pressing L and render using 'limted region without
border'.

you have a very good machine, but unless you are using lw64bit,
lw32bit will be able to handle only 2 Gb of ram max..

if you use lw64 on xp64, all those problem might disappear..

Surrealist.
01-01-2006, 03:39 PM
The could be a RAM issue. 512 is not leaving much after Windows takes a chunk.

Would lowering the segment memory help this I wonder and then rendering in more than one segment?

Frankly I don't remember how to change the number of sements in 8. Sorry, but I know it's possible.

JML
01-01-2006, 04:07 PM
he has 512 of ram on his video card :)

Silkrooster
01-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Depending on the number of polys in your scene + other varibles, its possible you are running out of ram. I noticed you mentioned a 64 bit cpu, but did not mention if Windows or Lightwave was 32 or 64. On a 32 bit system all of the ram will not be used. I beleive max on 32 bit is 2GB.
I did a test render using the resolution you wanted in the first post using nothing more than a sphere rendered as a wireframe. My system is 32 bit and only has 640MB of ram and even though I could save the render it took its time displaying the render. Making me beleive that Windows was using virtural memory of the hard drive.
Try hiding some of the objects from camera and see if you are able to render the scene at full resolution. If it does, then odds are good it is a ram issue. If it still has problems, then its something else such as a plug in problem, something wrong with the config files or lightwave needs to be reinstalled.
Silk

Surrealist.
01-01-2006, 11:01 PM
he has 512 of ram on his video card :)

Duh! And I wasn't even drinking last night!

drfoley
01-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Actually I only have Windows XP Pro 32 bit edition and LW8.3 32 bit edition installed. Windows XP recognizes 2.75Gigs of RAM on my machine.

Cant tell you how many polys I have in that scene right now cuz I'm rendering another scene at the moment. Its a space scene with only 2 spotlights and 1 planet made of 2 spheres.

I'll give the 'limited region without border' option a try next.

Thanks,
DrFoley
:)