PDA

View Full Version : Cloth On Fire

paulmcg1
12-30-2005, 01:29 PM
hey guys, whats the best way to set a moving cloth on fire the most realistic possible way and the most fastest way?

Thanks,
Paul Mcgrade

Carm3D
12-30-2005, 02:55 PM
That is an interesting challenge. I think I would use a combination of sewing and an animated clip map to make it look like the fire is eating up the cloth. As one chunk of the cloth is fully clipped away, bring in the cutter and have it fall away so the remainder of the cloth reacts as if it's getting lighter.

Fire&Smoke Generator can make decent looking fire (http://www.Carm3D.net/FireBall.MP4) if you create a zillion particles with it.

Elmar Moelzer
12-30-2005, 03:41 PM
I am doing a lot of fire (burning character) in my current project and I have got pretty good results by using clothFX on polygon- fire that has a fire- sequence mapped to it. Might be less technically advanced than some fluid- dynamics or something, but renders in seconds and looks... well like fire ;)
If you told me a bit more about the cloth that you want to burn up, maybe I could help you some more.
E.g. how are you animating the cloth? Bones, or ClothFX, or just morphmaps?
If you use bones you could parent the fire- object to one of the bones and go from there. Any more details on what the final result is supposed to look like?
CU
Elmar

SplineGod
12-31-2005, 01:29 AM
I would use a combination of the two. I would use a fire texture on the cloth to help blend it with carms suggestion. I would use the clip map to not only cut away the cloth but to determine where particles are emitted. This would make sure that particles are emitted only where there is cloth and not holes.
You would make the cloth a particle emitter first. :)