PDA

View Full Version : serenity voted BEST FILM 2005 [u.k.]

cresshead
12-30-2005, 11:01 AM
serenity voted BEST FILM 2005 [u.k.] by viewers of the tv show film 2005 on the bbc hosted by jonathon ross......

now seeing that it's distribution at the cinemas in the u.k. was quite poor this really is great news and will boost sales of the dvd which is out in the u.k. at the end of FEB 2006.......

btw...i've ordered the dvd from the usa...can't wait! :thumbsup:
.not seen it yet..but i loved firefly dvd set.....

zoic and lightwave doing the BIZ on the big screen!

Mylenium
12-30-2005, 11:34 AM
It's okay-ish at best. Dramatization is poor (but i wasn't expecting anything else from a Joss Whedon movie), the plot is extremely predictable and the acting is terribly cheesy over large parts. The "Reavers" are extremely unbelievable. The only really cool parts are the investigator and some of his fighting scenes along with some of the space battles. Three out of five stars at best, definitely not my best movie of the year.

Mylenium

cresshead
12-30-2005, 05:32 PM
i'll let you know what ithink of it when it arrives from amazon.com!
........i did like war of thew worlds but the ending of that was quite crap...i hope spielberg does a better ending of when worlds collide [his nxt film]

Fozz
12-30-2005, 05:37 PM
The movie rocks and was very entertaining in my opinion. Gotta love Firefly. Good to hear it gets some awards.
"Hiding ain't a plan?"

Dodgy
12-30-2005, 05:49 PM
I thought it was fantastic, though I was a big fan of the series and even managed to persuade my girlfriend (who hates spaceship shows with a passion) to like it. Definitely one of my highlights, Garden State being another.

JML
12-30-2005, 06:36 PM
I never watched the serie but I really liked serenity.
After I saw it, I thought it was much better than starwars3
that's my opinion of course..

ThriJ
12-31-2005, 02:59 PM
Thats good to hear.

It was a great movie (Minus a particular thing that happened to a particular character) and the TV series was Incredible.

lesterfoster
12-31-2005, 03:13 PM
Is there any footage on the DVD on how they made the movie??

dogbite
12-31-2005, 03:35 PM
i really liked the movie, too bad it hasnt showen yet where i am.

mattclary
12-31-2005, 04:51 PM
This was an awesome movie, probably the best I've seen in a long time. The acting and story were top-notch. By all rights it should have made twice the money Revenge of the Sith did.

Martin Adams
12-31-2005, 08:54 PM
I just watched Serenity again about an hour ago. A fantastic film and being a Buffy and Angel fan, I just love the work that Joss creates. I haven't seen Firefly but I just added it to my wishlist.

I think that it might be a little like Marmite, some people will love it, others wont care for it much. I've even heard people state the effects aren't up to the standards of film, but I say the effects don't make the movie good, a good story and escapism. Personally, I love the effects but do sense that it has a TV-budget, opposed to film budget - not sure why.

I find the film both entertaining and inspiring (being that LW was used in the mix). I'm glad to hear it got Best Film 2005 [uk].

As with all forms of art, what some people find awful, others will find amazing. One can't review a sci-fi action movie expecting a drama piece - its just comparing apples and oranges simply because they fall under the category of fruit.

Definitely one of my highlights, Garden State being another.

Zach Braff is a genious - nuff said :)

Elmar Moelzer
01-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Hello!
Well, to me many of the effects looked more realistic than some in Episode3, honestly (especially the space- scenes).
It might just be because I saw it on DVD and not in the movie theatre, though.
Yes, there were a few bad shots, but IMHO EP3 had plenty of those too and EP3 had a much, much larger budget.
That said, I really like the movie, have to aggree with Thrij though (guess that means there wont be a second part to it which is a shame since the background story would have plenty of room for that).
CU
Elmar

TheDAve
01-02-2006, 10:47 AM
OK, I'm a HUGE Firefly fan, so in my opinion it was definatly the film of the year.

But I have to admit its number one position is probably due to the dedication of the fans rather than mass appeal.

BUT anything that imporves the chances of a sequel is good in my book.

DAve

Red_Oddity
01-02-2006, 04:08 PM
I noticed another thing a while back, and i had the time to check today...
Did anyone notice how cool the opening credits scene is, from an editing perspective? This scene starts at around 10:30 minutes in the movie (the part right after the primary bufferpanel pops off the ship) up until the landing of the Serenity, somewhere around 14:50 minutes in the movie...
The cool thing is, this scene contains no (visible) editing what-so-ever, yet, we are taken through the entire ship and meet every crew member...
I remember people making such a fuss about the opening of Snake Eyes which pulled off something similar (but longer, yet with enough areas to add a simple edit transitions without direct notice), not to mention the ending of Kenneth Branagh's version of Shakespear's 'Much ado about nothing'.

How odd that no one has mentioned, or maybe i'm just giving this movie too much credit and need another hobby and social life :p

Martin Adams
01-02-2006, 04:18 PM
The shot that takes you through the entire ship without cutting is a very good one. Although there is one section where the trained eye can identify where there was a cut :)

handron
01-02-2006, 09:51 PM
I watched the movie Serenity at the theater and thought it was great. Not in the sense of top-of-the-line graphics, acting, story, and the like, but in the general highly entertaining sense. My wife and kids also fell in love with the characters, which in my opinion should be the main point of any cinematic element. We laughed (in abundance), felt sad, and were exhilerated throughout the movie.

We've now purchased the DVD and watched it multiple times. After finding out it was a series called Firefly I had to purchase it as well. Now four days later having completed all 14 episodes myself and family feel empty. It was a fun ride.

People will either connect with it or not. Everyone will "get" it but their opinion will be a simple matter of taste.

On it's 39 million dollar budget the quality is slightly above made for TV. But the chemistry between characters easily makes it a quality film. I hope it will gain more fans to justify a sequel. Here's hoping for the future.

Puguglybonehead
01-02-2006, 11:32 PM
Well, I haven't seen Serenity yet, but I am looking forward to it. Not expecting it to be another Blade Runner or anything that fantastic, just hoping to be as entertained as I was by the show.I loved Firefly more for it's camp quality and humorous dialogue than anything. Firefly was an entertaining but highly unoriginal series. If you compare it to the series Starhunter (aired in 2000 on Space Channel), which came out 2 years earlier than Firefly you can see where Mr Whedon lifted three quarters of his ideas from, right down to the name of the ship (Trans-Utopian in Starhunter/ Serenity in Firefly) to the character names and even their personalities. Even the Reavers were similar to Starhunter's Raiders (who went around stealing children and killing and robbing etc...)

Still, Firefly had a bigger budget than it's northern cousin and a more well-known cast. Serenity had an even bigger budget so the FX should be impressive at least.

Don't get me wrong, I love Firefly. Sometimes you don't have to be original to be great. From everything I've read, I'm expecting Serenity to be excellent.

TripD
01-03-2006, 03:42 AM
Thats good to hear.

It was a great movie (Minus a particular thing that happened to a particular character) and the TV series was Incredible.

Ditto. But plural, IMO.

mattclary
01-03-2006, 05:14 AM
Well, I haven't seen Serenity yet, but I am looking forward to it. Not expecting it to be another Blade Runner or anything that fantastic

I guess Blade Runner is supposed to be a classic, but I never thought it was all that. I liked Serenity much better.

BeeVee
01-03-2006, 05:20 AM
I really like both versions of Bladerunner and I really like Serenity too. I wish I'd seen it on the big screen, particularly for the bit where things emerge from clouds (not wishing to spoil). I was gobsmacked when it was voted best film of 2005, but more so that Revenge of the Sith got voted at 5! A friend here asked me to compare Serenity with Star Wars and I said that ESB was better than Serenity, ANH was on a par and Serenity was better than the other four...

B

-EsHrA-
01-03-2006, 06:36 AM

at least on the firefly series dvd are several extras.
(including some swift lw footage if i remember correctly.)

**i have the hots for Kaylee, she is so sweet**

:)

mlon

BeeVee
01-03-2006, 06:39 AM
Apart from River, all the woman on the show are very easy on the eyes... ;)

B
PS. I don't mean that River is not good-looking, but she is somewhat scary and Kaylee, Zoe and Enara are not... :D

mattclary
01-03-2006, 09:19 AM
River is actually my favorite! :thumbsup:

Red_Oddity
01-03-2006, 09:37 AM
**i have the hots for Kaylee, she is so sweet**

:)

Especially the part where she spots the strawberries on the buffet and wants to investigate (the episode with ball and the sword duel)...I love that smile....

<cough> Anyhooo....

IgnusFast
01-03-2006, 04:38 PM
It's okay-ish at best. Dramatization is poor (but i wasn't expecting anything else from a Joss Whedon movie), the plot is extremely predictable and the acting is terribly cheesy over large parts. The "Reavers" are extremely unbelievable. The only really cool parts are the investigator and some of his fighting scenes along with some of the space battles. Three out of five stars at best, definitely not my best movie of the year.

Mylenium

There may be better movies out there, but that's definitely in the eye of the beholder. Not many movies have captivated me to the point I've watched them 8 times in a few weeks... And my wife likes it just as much, if not more! Anything that can make sci-fi approachable to a techophobe like my wife is SWEET!!!

TripD
01-03-2006, 05:14 PM

I bought the Serenity DVD. Watched it through with Josh's commentary. He makes mention of the early scene done with only one shot. And yah they do talk a bit about making the movie.

lesterfoster
01-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks, After hearing so many good things about this movie. From my friends who have seen it in the theaters, On the entertainment news shows, and the Internet, including this forum.

Now that I know that there is something on the making of it. I am going to go out and buy it on my next paycheck.

Again thanks :)

colkai
01-04-2006, 02:52 AM
Especially the part where she spots the strawberries on the buffet and wants to investigate (the episode with ball and the sword duel)...I love that smile....

<cough> Anyhooo....
Hehe, right there with ya, Jewel is a stunner ok, that smile lights up the whole place. I love that the cast said Jewel really was Kaylee, the heart of the ship.

Plus of course, the whole "twixt my nethers" scene makes me crack up each time. "Well I could stand to hear a little more" hehe.

One of THE most quotable series / films of all time for me. :D

Bog
01-04-2006, 03:21 AM
Given that I don't particularly like the Bouffante Slayer, and Angel left me wishing I'd spent the time working on my cottage-cheese sculpture, I was completely unprepared for falling in love with Firefly like a tonne of bricks.

The way that at least once an episode, Joss takes a clichéd sci-fi set-peice and hits it with a hammer (the Mexican standoff near the end of "Serenity", the pilot episode, the "Here's Niska's money" gag at the end of The Train Job, that sort of thing) gives me a simple, childlike joy.

I was incredibly lucky, and managed to see a preview screening of Serenity, and I was just plain blown away. I've never seen anything make the transition from telly to Big D*** Movie so successfully - admittedly, I'd been drooling on the desk and chewing my keyboard for 18 months waiting for it to come out, but I wouldn't have been so rabid about seeing it if the series hadn't pushed all my buttons in the first place.

It's brilliant. I want more. More, do you hear me? More! :D

BeeVee
01-04-2006, 04:04 AM
One of my favourite bits in the series is Wash exclaiming that psychic powers sound like science fiction, to which Zoe replies "You live on a spaceship, dear." :D

I want more too, and have managed to convert my sister-in-law and her daughter to both the series and the film this Christmas. I hope against hope that the positively rabid reviews surrounding the Firefly project mean a new series or film...

B
PS. One thing I didn't like about the DVD of the series is that they refer to the Mandarin spoken as GALACTIC LANGUAGE in the subtitles...

colkai
01-04-2006, 04:09 AM
"Have you ever been with a warrior woman?" :p

There is a thread on the firefly boards for folks favourite quotes - heck, they just about make up half of each program. :)

"You died on me Mr Reynlolds".. "Seemed like the thing to do"

Think it's time I started watching the series again. :p

-EsHrA-
01-04-2006, 05:57 AM

<cough> Anyhooo....

the part where she got shot (stunned) and was in sick-bay recovering.
captain walks in en kaylee goes.. "heeee captain, im shiny captain, aa-ok"

then and there i melted in my seat... .. :hey:

mlon

BeeVee
01-04-2006, 07:54 AM
Just thought I'd have a look at Amazon's chart for their best-sellers of 2005 and Firefly is at number 4, and Serenity, that only came out a few weeks ago was already number 19! Had a look at some of the reviews for Serenity and have to say all this talk about loose ends being tied up wasn't that intelligent... what about Shepherd Book's mysterious past? What about the guys with blue hands? What about Badger and Fanty and Mingo? I want to know more! :D

B

Meaty
01-04-2006, 09:26 AM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/new-for-you/top-sellers/-/dvd/all/ref=d_hp_sn_ts/103-7458027-2807064

Currently Serenity is #2 and Firefly is #4.

Serenity cost about $40 Million to make, but only earned about $20 Million in the box office (according to rotten tomatoes). I really hope that the DVD sales encourage the studio to make a sequel. I really enjoyed it (and the series).

colkai
01-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Worldwide, it's closer to $39 million
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=serenity.htm

...And that's before DVD sales.
Now bearing in mind it's the sales of the Firefly DVD set that brought about the movie, there is still hope! :D

Meaty
01-04-2006, 12:17 PM
Worldwide, it's closer to $39 million
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=serenity.htm

...And that's before DVD sales.
Now bearing in mind it's the sales of the Firefly DVD set that brought about the movie, there is still hope! :D
Consider my fingers crossed!!! :thumbsup:

mattclary
01-04-2006, 12:27 PM
That's a really thin margin to drive a sequel, the studios will never go for it. I'm surprised the movie was even made.

colkai
01-04-2006, 12:37 PM
It was made simply on the strength of the DVD sales, bear in mind also that the Serenity DVD had hit the number one spot on Amazon based on pre-order sales only.

I think they will recoup enough to at least consider doing straight to DVD films, which is fine by me and a lot of "Browncoats". I'll take DVD sequels over no sequels any day! :D ;)

Meaty
01-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Matt, I think that the business reasoning would be not to look at the past box office sales as an indicator of future box office sales. Rather it would recognize Serenity as a movie that developed popularity after its box office tenure. Now that it IS popular, they would expect that it would do better in the box office for a sequel.

At least, that is what I hope =]

gerry_g
01-13-2006, 08:56 AM
Matt, I think that the business reasoning would be not to look at the past box office sales as an indicator of future box office sales. Rather it would recognize Serenity as a movie that developed popularity after its box office tenure. Now that it IS popular, they would expect that it would do better in the box office for a sequel.

At least, that is what I hope =]

Don't think a sequel's gonna get a green light, da man himself explains here........... http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=17800

BeeVee
01-13-2006, 09:30 AM
But that's okay - I'd rather it was returned to telly anyway, there's a lot more room for maneouvre and development in a series of 42-minute shows than there is a one two-hour film, plus you don't have to handhold the whole way through, like they did a bit in Serenity. I cheered when I read that... :D

B

Bog
01-13-2006, 10:28 AM
What Ben said. Let's actually have an hour a week to explore the 'verse and the characters in it.

lesterfoster
01-13-2006, 06:01 PM
What about other movie to tv series. Wasn't Stargate a movie, than a TV series, and isn't it still being filmed as a TV series. I think it is in it’s 6 or 7 season now. And what about Battlestar Galactica. Another movie to TV hit.

Any how I bought Serenity last weekend. I thought it was grate. And the box cover was fantastic. They have gained another fan with me.

Bog
01-13-2006, 06:03 PM
****it Lester! Don't jinx it!

jin choung
01-13-2006, 09:58 PM
couldn't agree more about blade runner....

if looked at for story and writing alone, it would be absolutely inexplicable why it is as esteemed as it is.

sure, it made dissociative mental disorders a centerpiece of american sci fi for some reason but there was a lot that was more than enigmatic. perhaps the only movie ever made not about humans (heck, even anthropomorphized toasters would have more heart).

but i suppose it deserves its place in the pantheon of cinescifi because of its japanophilia, neon lights, flying cars, harrison ford (i.e. han solo... hey, it's han solo!), trenchcoatoperainspace (tm), omnipresent precipitation, epileptic racoon girl who smacks han on the head and causes him to (of all things) yelp repeatedly causing me to laugh hysterically for the next twenty minutes of the movie until my eyes are red with tears, christosymbology, rutgethauerhavinganorgasmbystickinganailthroughhis palm, and that snake chick who looked hot while topless with long straight hair but kinda ugly with curly/dried hair and a saran wrap coat, and production design.

---------------------------------------------------

episode 3 open wanted to be as cool and emotionally compelling as LOST IN SPACE movie open... but failed.

lost in space movie was really good imo.

--------------------------------------------------------

serenity was awesome. but wasn't there a big cut right after the panel blows - to get to the interior? it WOULD have been cool if they were ambitious enough to do that as a single straight ROPE like shot.... too bad....

teaches us all that if we pursue a sinless society, not only will we ourselves have no place in it but, more likely than not, the product of the effort will be to invariably create not saints but monsters. which i feel is an odd but interesting message.

jin

Qexit
01-14-2006, 12:49 PM
What about other movie to tv series. Wasn't Stargate a movie, than a TV series, and isn't it still being filmed as a TV series. I think it is in it’s 6 or 7 season now. Yep, Stargate was a movie first and then a TV series with a lot of very sensible changes. Now into Season 10 with a spin-off series, Stargate:Atlantis, into it's second season too.
And what about Battlestar Galactica. Another movie to TV hit. Not quite. The original Battlestar Galactica was a 4 part TV mini-series in the States. At the time, it was the most expensive TV series ever made. However, outside the US it was released as a film in the cinema as they thought they could pull people in using the then novel gimmick of Sensurround, as developed for the disaster movie 'Earthquake'. I did see it in the cinema at that time and have to admit that the Viper take-offs were a whole lot more effective with a massive bass speaker giving you a kick up the backside than they ever were on the small screen :)

Safe Harbor
10-03-2006, 02:02 PM
I am embarrassed to admit I finally saw Serenity.

(Hey, it's HARD when you're significant other has no interest in sci-fi and he pays for the dates!)

Anyways, it was GOOD! I have never seen Firefly but I followed the movie quite easily, and it was a very rich storyline. The characters were well developed and it moved along nice and fast. Makes me want to see the series now. Is it available on DVD?

Maxx
10-03-2006, 02:38 PM
It is and - seriously - get the DVDs. The series was every bit as good if not better than the film, and the film rocked IMO.

kopperdrake
10-03-2006, 04:23 PM
Fox are fools, and Firefly was an amazing series - watched the entire boxset over a few days with my wife and both fell in love with it! The characters work so well together, the humour is spot on and the whole thing was refreshingly honest and pushed PC to the far-edge at times :)

Serenity was a big helping of Firefly, which is a good thing in my books. And of course, I think Lightwave may have been used in the movie?

I just wonder which distributor will take a second series on if someone like Fox won't show it :(

lilrayray77
10-03-2006, 06:52 PM
I justed started watching firefly, and I must say it is quite amazing. The plot is quite entertaining and the characters are unique. How many episodes are there in all? It is a pitty it ended soon.

Puguglybonehead
10-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Well. I'd spent last winter pretty much wearing out my Firefly box-set. Finally saw Serenity when the DVD came out in the spring. Gotta say, it's the bomb! The whole thing translated to the big screen so well. It pretty much blows away almost any sci-fi movie I've seen in recent years. Yeah, I remember saying I didn't expect a masterpiece. Well, I was eating my words after I watched it.

I think enough time has passed since the movie that we can now forgive Joss Whedon for what happened to 'certain characters' ;). Now, it's high time for a sequel! Hopefully when he's finished with Wonder Woman he can see fit to get back to it.

BeeVee
10-04-2006, 02:03 AM
I S C B T K W... :cry:

B

colkai
10-04-2006, 02:47 AM
We can only dream, Moreana said at a recent convention she'd do it in a heart-beat, as I'm sure would Nathan and the rest.

Unlikely though, much as I'd wish otherwise. All I can do is wear out my DVD's to keep getting my fix. :)

Puguglybonehead
10-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Well there are some Firefly fan-projects in the works that look like they'll be pretty cool. A tiny fix for those of us who are still jones'n.

Into The Black (http://www.intotheblack.ca/)

The Bellflower (http://bellflower.sigil777.com/index.asp)

archiea
10-04-2006, 10:50 PM
I noticed another thing a while back, and i had the time to check today...
Did anyone notice how cool the opening credits scene is, from an editing perspective? This scene starts at around 10:30 minutes in the movie (the part right after the primary bufferpanel pops off the ship) up until the landing of the Serenity, somewhere around 14:50 minutes in the movie...
:p

I agree... Not just for the FX.. but for introducing the crew and the ship.... I had just marathon-watched the TV series and I poped in the movie.. it was a schweet intro to the core cast.

well here it is....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYf5d0Zx5EA

Love the opening music...

Nice tip of the hat to the whole han solo/ millenium falcon "luv affair" banter...

archiea
10-04-2006, 11:19 PM
It is and - seriously - get the DVDs. The series was every bit as good if not better than the film, and the film rocked IMO.

I agree, the film is improved with the familiarity of the characters from the TV show. My wish: for Firefly to have been moved to HBO instead of a movie.. with only 13 eps a year it wouldn't burnout as fast as on the 22 ep/year TV schedule. While I think the film was a great way to end the series, it closed the story of firefly. I think HBO could use a light hearted, less vulgar show on its roster.. don't get me wrong.. I enjoy the HBO vulgar, but Firefox managed to tell a smart entertaining story without the convenience of HBO's "XXX-factor"

archiea
10-04-2006, 11:26 PM
I might add to, serenity was also a succes in thrifty filmmaking... 45 million, with local, unionized labor in Hollywood.. Bravo Joss!

TripD
10-11-2006, 01:15 AM
I S C B T K W... :cry:

B

They killed Kenny! Those Bast*rds! Joss could just borrow a page from SP and ressurect him each episode! Or just pretend it was a dream sequence.

kopperdrake
10-11-2006, 02:17 AM
No need - so much could've happened between Firefly and Serenity's time zones - at least 6 seasons' worth of happenings in my wishful reckonin' :D

Dexter2999
05-08-2009, 11:16 AM
http://www.quantummechanix.com/Bellflower-Ships.html

Spotted an update about the BELLFLOWER fan film. Above is a link to the models of two ships being used that I didn't see on the Bellflower home page.

Thought I'd share.

cresshead
05-09-2009, 08:37 AM
i've SO gone off this movie compared to the tv show it sux..anyone want the dvd?

-EsHrA-
05-09-2009, 08:56 AM
"i've SO gone off this movie compared to the tv show it sux..anyone want the dvd? "

huh? yes please! :) ..

my house got broken into 2 months ago and i lost quite a few of my dvds,
including serenity .. (+ laptop, camera etc grrrr..)..

so, having a free dvd i can add to my collection again would be.. well.. nice ! :) hehe.. i loved the movie! :)

mlon

toby
05-09-2009, 01:34 PM
I'll take a blu-ray :)