PDA

View Full Version : modelling troubles

Tim13
12-30-2005, 09:00 AM
can anyone help me on modeling a cherry i have tried using a disc and bevelling then subpatch but its not even good enough to be called a cherry, i modelled the stem using the same thing. but i cant do the cherry itself.

can anyone offer me some of their modeling skills or tips on getting the right proportions? :help:

prospector
12-30-2005, 09:14 AM
this won't sound right but it's how I do it.
make a square box of your size.
hit tab with it set to 2,
freeze it then do again, this will give you a globe with all quads,
now go to the top and highlite a polt and move it down intoi the globe a bit to give it a dimple,
then do a bevel and size it to the stem size you want, hit 'e' for extend ane pull it up to make the stem.
you can hit 'e' a few times to curve the stem a bit.

now change the tab setting to 5 and your done

Tim13
12-30-2005, 11:47 AM
thanks for the reply :) i will try that today.

when you say set to 2 what do you mean? do u have a visual reference?

prospector
12-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Under;
EDIT>
General Options>
Patch Divisions

normally set to 6
set it to 2

dlwaters
12-30-2005, 02:24 PM
Prospector ...

Thanks for the subpatch level change tip. I'm a noob and I've been struggling to plumb the depths of the menus. I'm a very visual learner and I'm having a little trouble getting used to not having all sorts of icons all over the place.

DL

prospector
12-30-2005, 10:13 PM
It's soooo nice for a button to say what it does :thumbsup:

SplineGod
12-31-2005, 01:59 AM
Hey Tim,
I posted a video that I did for Kurv which was for inclusion into the CD with 3D World Magazine. It should help out. It shows modeling, surfacing and lighting an apple. Its about 30 minutes long.
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support
In the Misc section on the end is a video called Modeling and Surfacing an Apple.

Tim13
12-31-2005, 07:39 AM
thanks for the reply SplineGod :thumbsup: i will download it and have a look at it. :)

Tim13
12-31-2005, 04:21 PM
@SplineGod :) i did your apple tut and was impressed at the simplicity of the apple and will you do a tutorial on modelling other fruits in lightwave? :)

SplineGod
12-31-2005, 04:46 PM
Glad it was useful. I doubt if I will do something like that because its very easy to take the principles used to make that apple and make some other kind of frit. A cherry would be a piece of cake to do once you do that apple. Its just round. :) Youll find some of the other videos I have up to be pretty useful.