PDA

View Full Version : lightwave in films

adrielmejor2005
12-30-2005, 04:58 AM
Does anyone knows where i can find images or info about scenes or fx done with lightwave in the films listed on the project list?
i.e. what are the scenes done with lightwave 3 (1993) in jurassic park? i have seen movie magic and the only software they show in use is softimage.

SaturnX
12-30-2005, 07:07 AM
When Jurrassic park was still deep in pre-production, an amiga 4000 was used, along with the video toaster, to plan out moving storyboards, and animatics... in conjunction with the film's storyboards, to help flesh out the movie.

There were also computer animated models of dinosaurs created, (in particular the gallimimus) not just for the 'moving story-boards' but at the time, to also prove that using computer graphics on this movie, really could work. IE: animated run cycles of a skeletal gallimimus in lightwave.

At the time, this sort of technology was relatively new and exciting. (it still is! hehe).. and it makes me tingle slightly, that lw in its small part helped contribute in making up the minds of those that still werent sold using CG over stop motion, to really go with CG.

And i need not mention, they were using a fairly early version of lw to create some of the pre-visuals on. ;)
So all you guys moaning, be thankful you have at least, ... IK !! :D

PS: ok ok... so i moan abit to... :D :thumbsup:

Gettarobox
12-30-2005, 07:12 AM
the "Serenity" DVD shows an fx guy using LW. it looks like LW8 or 8.5.

SaturnX
12-30-2005, 07:18 AM
****, you have Serenity on dvd already? awesome
its not out here til february. bah.

And yes, you would have seen lw v8.xx in action... becasue the majority of the vfx was lightwave, via Zoic Studios.