PDA

View Full Version : Saved File By Mistake - How To Retrieve Old

FLEMMINGGO
12-29-2005, 12:53 PM
Help someone,
Ive been working on a rather large file that I mistakenly have saved with the same fiile name. I did save this file earlier .. Yesterday night, but I was wondering if it would be possible to retrieve the Yesterdays file.

All the Best
to U all.

Merry X-mas and Happy Healthy New Year.

Flemming

hrgiger
12-29-2005, 02:15 PM
No way that I'm aware of. There are some programs that can retreive old files that have been deleted, but I don't know if they would work in this case.

I would definately advise you to save your model in increments with distinct file names so you can go back to older versions such as house001, house002, etc.....

nerdyguy227
12-29-2005, 06:48 PM
Dont you love that overwritting feature! :devil: It saves space and makes it impossible to get information you need however badly back from before you messed up. *sarcasm ends here*

Its impossible, the data no longer exists

I have been using the incremental saving for a while and it works well.

Auger
12-29-2005, 07:52 PM
If you were using the Hub and you had set it to automatically save backups, you might be able to find it. Check your Temp folder and find lwhub. With any luck you will have a copy of your original file.

Jon

brtk
12-29-2005, 07:57 PM
Well, you don't say what kind of file it is. Modeler saves copies of files in temp directory so if it was an .lwo maybe you could look there...

starbase1
12-30-2005, 05:18 AM
yes, it is well worth hunting down the files that Hub keeps - it numbers versions so it may well have the one you are after. My life has been saved by this before now!

Nick

PS - And in general using the Windows search to look for recent files of the correct ending, (*.lwo or whatever the application), can be a life saver.

nerdyguy227
12-30-2005, 08:50 AM
I never knew about this but I wish I did

does it save stuff you didnt save yet? cause I at one point had this problem where windows decided to give me a BSOD every time I had the most work possible without a save and I lost tons of work mostly in lightwave and I never got it back

starbase1
12-30-2005, 11:04 AM
If you have passed or synchronised between Modeller and Layout, it will have a copy.

Incidentally, another handy tool I have found for free is Sequoia View. It provides the clearest view of used disk space I have ever found - and I found some seriously huge directories that were left behind by software - for some reason my video stuff (ulead and others) seem very fiond of saving versions of enture DVD disks full of data...)

Sequoia View also lets you explore folders you find, very handy for cleaning up.

Find it HERE:
http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

Nick