PDA

View Full Version : Fprime display anomoly.

F1Racer
12-29-2005, 10:07 AM
I realise this might be better placed at the feet of Worley Labs, but I just wondered if anyone else has experience this issue or know what causes it.

I have this F1 car in LW. The body is in the first layer, the rear wheels in layer2, front right wheel in layer3 and the front left wheel in layer4.

I loaded up a simple scene with a car sitting on a ground plane. The car that was loaded was not the one in the pic, but it also had a layered structure.
I removed that car and loaded up the one you see here.

Now if I FPrime it, I get this, even with refreshing. It looks fine in Layout and in renders fine using Lightwave. But FPrime has got confused for some reason.

kfinla
12-29-2005, 10:18 AM
well if it looks fine in layout.. and have the fprime displancemt shader on all your layers (may not be needed depedning on the versions). id tryshifting your camera to the left or right ive sometimes noticed slight framing differences between the LW layout camera viewport and the fprime previewer.

toonafish
12-29-2005, 10:38 AM
I've had these problems a lot lately. I find it weird hardly anyone else has noticed these differences between Fprime and LW renders bacause Fprime has a lot of issues with Lightwave motion modifiers like cycler, follower and such.

anyways, Worley support told me one of the things that might cause Fpime not to read the motion of an object properly might be different SubD settings for display and render beacause of a LW bug.
So it might go away when you set the SubD level for both to the same level.

F1Racer
12-29-2005, 02:14 PM
This model has no motion or SubD's. Its a still frame and all polygonal.

Thankfully fixing it is a simple matter of saving the scene, clearing the scene and reloading it.
I was curious as to what caused it. oh well at least the fix is painless. :)

RedBull
12-29-2005, 03:08 PM
I noticed a definate bug with FPrime 2.1 and LW8.5 yesterday....
It would show my object fine, than i would texture another surface...
And my object would kinda half dissapear, it was repeatable...

Layout 8.x and Layout 9.x both have a bug where the Surface Editor
defaults to the first surface in the surface list, which for me was an object
not in view of the camera. FPrime rerenders from that surface list, and i'm sure the bug is hoined to that...... But i would have to test it some more before contacting Worley.

cagey5
12-29-2005, 03:59 PM
I had the same problem of elements jumping about pre 2.1, which I could solve by ensuring FSPE was enabled. But since 2.1 that option only makes it far worse with elements jumping out of shot. It's a case of sticking with v2.0 for me until all the SDK niggles get sorted out once and for all and fPrime works as intended.

Panikos
12-29-2005, 04:32 PM
When you rotate the parent of a hierarchy, the children stay behind.
As already written, saving and reloading fixes the problem.

F1Racer
12-29-2005, 05:07 PM
When you rotate the parent of a hierarchy, the children stay behind.
As already written, saving and reloading fixes the problem.

No all the layers are parented to the car body and I have 'Parent in Place' disabled so there is no problems with child objects following the parent.
As you can see from the LW render, all is in fact in place.

IgnusFast
12-29-2005, 06:00 PM
No all the layers are parented to the car body and I have 'Parent in Place' disabled so there is no problems with child objects following the parent.
As you can see from the LW render, all is in fact in place.

I think he means it's an FPrime problem with the children being left behind, not Lightwave in general. Like something in the API doesn't properly report child movements when the parent moves, and FPrime doesn't refresh the entire scene, just what it thinks has changed. But I could be wrong.

F1Racer
12-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Aah, then in that case, he could be right :)