PDA

View Full Version : Select with tool active (Modeler)

Wickster
12-29-2005, 03:49 AM
This one is for the "Workflow Improvement" ... well to me at least.

I wish there was a key I could press in conjuction with the mouse buttons that will allow me to make selections while using a current tool.

Okay here's what I want to do for example. (keys may differ).
1. Select a group of points
2. Activate move (or any modeler tools) tool
3. Move (rotate, scale, extend, etc.) selected points
4. Press "Alt" key and the mouse turns into selection mode
5a. "Alt+RMB" lasso the selection to unselect / then "Alt+RMB" lasso again to select new sets of points
5b. "Alt+Shift+RMB" lasso to add more points to current selections
5c. "Alt+LMB" to unselect individual points
5d. "Alt+Shift+LMB" to add individual points to selection
6. Release "Alt" key (and Shift if you had it down)
7. Mouse returns back to move tool (or any modeler tools)
8. Eliminate unecessarry droppings. hehehe

If there is already a way to do this, forgive me, but its almost 3am here and my hands are modeling but I don't know where my brain is.

Dodgy
12-29-2005, 02:45 PM
Nope there's no way currently to select while in a tool mode in modeler. You can do it in layout, but not in modeler. Now we have enough buttons on the mouse it might be time to look at this again... :)

evenflcw
12-29-2005, 06:53 PM
I agree. Imho this is probably one of those features that could do Modeler the most good. Since it affects the whole workflow inside Modeler everything and everyone benefits. I was really surprised that Modo hadn't done away with this tedius workflow (atleast not at the first release).

Personally I wouldn't be content with having to hold 2 hotkeys for something so essential. It is not my idea of good ui. NT should rethink how the mouse buttons and shift, ctrl and alt are used.

Snosrap
12-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Right now you can make additional selections with the middle mouse. With a tool (move, rotate, etc.) active the middle mouse button constrains the movement to the initial movement of the mouse in the same manner as ctrl clicking does. Why not just keep the middle mouse button an additional selection/deselection tool when one of the other tools ( move, rotate etc.) are activated? I think if we did a poll 95+% of LW users probably just use the ctrl key anyway to constrain movements, so this seems like a waste of the middle mouse buttton to have it constrain while one of the tools are in use. Or is this to simple of a solution?

Cheers
Snos

Chris S. (Fez)
12-29-2005, 08:51 PM
IMHO, all those key combinations seem like overkill. I think Newtek should look into adopting sticky keys, as seen in Modo and XSI.

ercaxus
12-29-2005, 10:08 PM
We should be able to customize the viewport interaction(at least pick from presets like maya/max etc). It just helps, doesn't hurt, and shouldn't be (guessing here) a big deal for :newtek: to code. Actually it wouldn't hurt if we could completely customize how the mouse works in :lwicon: . Middle mouse button for selection instead of constraints makes sense.
Out of topic but addition of double click is another thing that needs to happen eventually.

Wickster
12-30-2005, 12:59 AM
OK you know what...I gave this one another thought. Middle click would be fine to select/deselect additional points/polys, but how about pressing and holding the "Alt" key will reveal a "Tool Manipulator" (you know, the XYZ arrows when moving, and directions with boxes when scaling and HPB circles when rotating.)

I kinda hate using maya for modeling because of its manipulator, Cause it slows me down. But there are times I wish I have it when I'm modeling in perspective mode. So it would be have a "Hotkey On" and "Hotkey Off."

Hmmm maybe I should've called this thread "Ways to make the mouse more useful." :D

prospector
12-30-2005, 02:59 AM
It would be nice if we could do anything with the Skelegon tree window open

ercaxus
12-30-2005, 04:00 AM
:agree:
It would be nice if we could do anything with the Skelegon tree window open
It would be awesome if we could do anything with any window open, anytime, anywhere. It's just too restricting.

Actually being one of the laziest (semi)intelligent creatures in this part of the universe, I should be hired by :newtek: to make things work with less effort by user.
I would make them develop an eye motion detector/interpreter. No using hands and fingers. So many calories saved. :lol:

Lewis
12-30-2005, 10:01 AM
Possible editing configuration at MMB (and all other buttons + double clicks on them)would be best IMHO 'coz as already stated now it does same thing with CTRL+LMB and MMB. Holding down ALT, CTRL, or SHIFT would mess up my workflow 'coz i constantly rotate,pan,zoom while selecting, so adding to selection with those keys would make mess in my workflow :). MMB should be right way to go 'coz most of LWavers ar u sed to add to selection with MMB anyway.

cheers