PDA

View Full Version : exporting 3DS or DXF models

spec24
12-28-2005, 10:20 AM
I need to export a fully textured (with image maps) LW model to a 3DS or DXF model. Is there a way to do this and retain the texture information? Someone needs to import the model into Bryce, already fully textured.

The biggest problem is that the model needs to be posed, otherwise I could just send the model out with the included texture maps and they could map them. But after it's posed this is easier said than done. Is there a way to pose the model, export it and have those textures reatin their relative positions once it's exported to 3DS?

DonAVP
12-28-2005, 04:55 PM
3DS files can be saved with UV maps :thumbsup: .
The texture/s need to be done in UV space not LW's plane, cyl, cube projection. UV mapping attaches the image/s to the points of the model so when you move to another file format it knows were to place the texture/s.

DXF files can not transfer textures :stop: .
I believe this is because DFX files have been around for a loooong time and was originally done for CAD type data bases. I also know that there are many many ways to mess within DFX files that can be quit challaging. I tend to stay away from them.

I used Deep Exploration do check your question.

Don

Silkrooster
12-28-2005, 05:01 PM
As far as textures go, 3ds and obj are the best for transfering uv textures. For exporting obj textures use Dodgy's mtl exporter at http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43330
I found out recently that dxf does support external textures, just Bryce and Lightwave don't. Apparently its a cad thing. :twak:
Silk

DonAVP
12-28-2005, 05:09 PM
. . . I found out recently that dxf does support external textures, just Bryce and Lightwave don't. Apparently its a cad thing. :twak:
Silk

I stand corrected. They (DFX) files have become a standard within the 3D world but as far as I know no one is controlling how it gets changed so it has become rather blotted over time. I remember DXF files in the early 80's when AutoCAD first came out. It was developed my them I believe. OH, did I say I am not too impressed with AutoCAD 8/ .

MicroMouse
12-28-2005, 05:40 PM
I stand corrected. They (DFX) files have become a standard within the 3D world but as far as I know no one is controlling how it gets changed so it has become rather blotted over time. I remember DXF files in the early 80's when AutoCAD first came out. It was developed my them I believe. OH, did I say I am not too impressed with AutoCAD 8/ .

DXF is a trademark of AutoDesk, Inc.

The DXF file format is a proprietary file format and it is still controlled and maintained by AutoDesk. Documents describing the DXF file format can be downloaded from AutoDesk.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=5129239

Silkrooster
12-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the link. I don't know why it did not occur to me to check the specs for dxf. :twak:
Silk

cgbloke2004
12-28-2005, 10:21 PM
fbx any use?
http://www.alias.com/glb/eng/products-services/product_details.jsp?productId=1900004

Silkrooster
12-28-2005, 11:02 PM
Bryce Supports the following formats:

3D Studio Object Files (*.3ds)
3D Studio Project Files (*.prj)
3DMF (ASCII) Files (*.t3d)
3DMF (Binary) Files (*.3mf)
3DMF (Binary) Files (*.b3d)
AutoCAD DXF Files (*.dxf)
Direct3D Files (*.x)
LightWave Object Files (*.lwo)
LightWave Scene Files (*.lws)
PGM Files (*.pgm)
RayShade HF Files (*.hf)
TrueSpace Object Files (*.cob)
TrueSpace Scene Files (*.scn)
USGS DEM/SDTS Files (*.ddf)
USGS/VistaPro DEM Files (*.dem)
VideoScape Files (*.vsa)
VRML 1.0 Files (*.wrl)
Wavefront OBJ Files (*.obj)
WCS Elev Files (*.elev)
WorldToolKit NFF Files (*.nff)

Silk

spec24
12-29-2005, 07:11 AM
thanks everyone. I didn't think 3DS files supported UV's. Okay - I'll give this a try when I get home form work. Thanks again!

spec24
01-02-2006, 10:29 AM
when saving the file out as a 3DS file all my UV maps become joined again, messing up the UV texture. What have I done wrong?