PDA

View Full Version : Previewing Textures in Modeler

Krank
05-12-2003, 10:20 AM
I am only able to see the color of the object but no textures in my viewport wondow. I've selected 'Texture' in my viewport pulldown menu. Thanks :p

scott_krehbiel
05-13-2003, 09:57 AM
Are you using procedural textures, or image maps? If you use image maps, you can see them in "texture" mode. If you are using procedurals (fractal noise, crust, etc) then you'll have to use a bit of a trick:

(I know that my way probably skips a few steps, and is more round-about. This will work, but if there's a faster way, please somebody tell me)

Load a scrap image to put on your object - maybe a 16 by 16 square of black, and assign that as an image map. Actually, I'm not sure if the resolution of your scrap image will affect how this process works. If you use a 16 by 16 image, you may just get a 16 by 16 texture applied, and that wouldn't be very helpful. Anyway, at this point now go into the image editor, select your "scrap" image, and go into the "processing" tab. Now assign the "Textured Filter" to the image. Now click on the "Texture" button within that texture filter. Whatever texture you apply now will be applied on top of your image. So if you selected an image of say a bug, your texture will be added to the bug. Since many of the textures seem to have a build-in alpha, you'll want to first lay down a texture to just replace your image.

So first use the "value" texture and set that equal to the local color of your object. Now you can add layers on top of the value texture and add whatever else you might want, Coriolis, polka dots, you name it. You should see these textures appear on your object. (oh, be sure and hit "Auto-sizing" for your image map, so it'll sit right on your object.) This will give you a basic reference for your procedurals, but will still be a 2D projection. 3D textures will not be represented correctly.

When you have the texture looking the way you want it, select "All Layers" from the copy menu on the texturing window. Then you can paste these layers onto the actual surface for your object. (you won't want to leave all your textures applied through this replace-image trick, as it won't have the best quality)

This will allow you to preview your textures and work interactivtely with them in Modeler.

hope this helps
Scott

colkai
05-14-2003, 02:22 AM
You'll only see the top IMAGE texture, so if it is a combination, it may not appear as expected. Procedurals are not shown. The tip above is a doozy!

scott_krehbiel
05-14-2003, 08:21 AM
Because Modeler shows images, but you've substituted a procedural for the image, it forces Modeler to compute the procedural texture. So this does actually force Modeler to show a procedural.

In my next post (when I remembered to include the image) you can see two procedurals on top of the "value" procedural that sets the base color.

:)

Scott

scott_krehbiel
05-14-2003, 08:22 AM
Here's the image
Scott

colkai
05-14-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by scott_krehbiel
Because Modeler shows images, but you've substituted a procedural for the image, it forces Modeler to compute the procedural texture. So this does actually force Modeler to show a procedural.

Scott
Yup, that's what I meant by its a doozy, I often use the colour channel to determine my bump/spec etc.. but I'd never thought of this trick. :cool:

Krank
05-15-2003, 09:49 AM
thanks all for the help...