PDA

View Full Version : My boxing day computer & LW

Speedmonk42
12-27-2005, 02:42 AM
Hey y'all.

I just picked up my boxing day computer, AMD-64-3500/1GB/200SATA ect.... Just sort of grabbed it because it was only 500 bux.

I am curious about the AMD-64. I know there is a 64bit version of Windows and LW. So what is running on it now? Does it run in some kind of emulation mode? (XP-media center edition)

I know there are lots of people running these CPUs and I bought one on the basis that it basicly can't suck given the number people that seem to recomend them here.

I am just curious where the 64 bit starts and ends so to speak while I have not yet installed xpp-64 or LW-64.

AbnRanger
12-27-2005, 03:39 AM
Hey y'all.

I just picked up my boxing day computer, AMD-64-3500/1GB/200SATA ect.... Just sort of grabbed it because it was only 500 bux.

I am curious about the AMD-64. I know there is a 64bit version of Windows and LW. So what is running on it now? Does it run in some kind of emulation mode? (XP-media center edition)

I know there are lots of people running these CPUs and I bought one on the basis that it basicly can't suck given the number people that seem to recomend them here.

I am just curious where the 64 bit starts and ends so to speak while I have not yet installed xpp-64 or LW-64.
Right now, with very little plugin support for LW 64, you are better off just sticking with regular LW (32 bit) for the time being. With just 1GB of RAM you will not see any real performance improvements between the two. Even with 4GB, it will be a rather minimal increase. Only when you are working with huge scenes, will LW 64 distinguish itself. Check out Rob Power's video at '05 Siggraph for more details:
http://www.newtek.com/shows/siggraph/2005/2005.php

P.S. Yes Win XP x64 runs 32 bit programs in emulation mode (it's the O.S. that runs in emulation mode, not the CPU) and is therefore just a smidge slower than regular XP. Plus, finding 64bit drivers for XP x64 is a real pain in the bumkis. Give it another year before you begin to find tangible reasons to go 64bit.

Bitboy
12-27-2005, 03:41 AM
Don't worry. There's no emulation going on. The AMD processors run 32-bit and 64-bit programs equally well. So no problem running a Media Center XP or a 64-bit Win XP edition. The only thing you should be aware of if switching to a 64-bit edition of Win XP is getting all your drivers in 64-bit versions. But the 64-bit driver situation is getting better everyday. So check out driver availability for all your hardware before making the plunge.

On another note, if you plan on gaming on a 64-bit Win XP, be aware that some games do not work on 64-bit versions of Win XP. So for gaming the ordinary 32-bit version is the one to go for. Programs should pose no problem in Win XP 64-bit whatsoever.

Good luck with your new PC!

gjjackson
12-27-2005, 07:06 AM
If you're plugins are Lscripts there isn't a problem. The only problem is with the compiled plugins.

mattclary
12-27-2005, 07:50 AM
Hey y'all.

I just picked up my boxing day computer...

OK, your greeting doesn't seem to match you holiday observance! Oh, wait a minute, maybe you are from SOUTHERN Canada! ;)

p.s. And congratulations on the correct contraction of "you all". You would be surprised how many people get it wrong. :thumbsup:

Speedmonk42
12-27-2005, 12:13 PM
Hey thanks for all the info!

I really didn't have time to research it, and just bought it because I see lots of people here use them and seem 'sensibly' obsessed with them.

Enjoy the rest of the holidays.