PDA

View Full Version : Where is NewTEK?

lesterfoster
12-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Where is NewTEK?

I downloaded and installed a program called GoogleEarth It is quite a interesting program. It is a 3D globe. It lets you travel the Earth and zoom in on any part of the planet. It is quite interesting.

After finding where I live and seeing my car parked in the driveway. I started looking for the NewTek’s office. After plugging in the address for newtek. It took me to a empty field in Texas. But no building. So I am wandering where is newtek.

If you want to try out this program. There is a link to it on Google’s home page

Lightwolf
12-26-2005, 03:53 PM
Where is NewTEK?

Probably right the next building to the left.
While google earth (and similar tools) tend to be quite accurate when dealing with geographic coordinates (i.e. latitude & longitude) they tend to screw up the look up of an adress to a geographics coordinate. Heck, every route planer has those problems ;)

Either that or aliens have abducted the whole company over Christmas... ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Silkrooster
12-26-2005, 03:53 PM
Hey thats cool.
Silk

Zane Condren
12-26-2005, 03:54 PM
Our building is 20 stories underground, the aliens perfer it that way.

inquisitive
12-26-2005, 10:00 PM
perhaps the satelite images are 10 years old.. and back then that building didnt exist. heh .. you are looking at the past in a way.

bluerider
12-27-2005, 05:36 AM
Our building is 20 stories underground, the aliens perfer it that way.

LOl.....only 20 stories?

gjjackson
12-27-2005, 06:10 AM
Object Dissolve is turned on.

AbnRanger
12-27-2005, 06:59 AM
You're all wrong.... :tsktsk:
They've strategically placed Camo Nets over the building to prevent amateur spies from locating their position using Google Satellite imagery. :neener:

Stooch
12-27-2005, 03:43 PM
HEY! who are you calling amateur!!! :2guns:

ted
12-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Who needs camo nets when you have the Invisa-Ray turned on?
I'm pretty sure it's the last building on the right. The shot even shows the Hotel I stayed at when I was interrogating NewTek before being converted! :bowdown:

We've used the google program before and it's waaaay fun.

androidmaker
12-27-2005, 07:19 PM
They just have transparency set to 100%

JML
12-27-2005, 07:21 PM
the building could not render, not enough memory :D

Captain Obvious
12-27-2005, 07:49 PM
They just have transparency set to 100%
What a huge waste of render time. I think they just set it to "unseen by rays." Since the earth's atmosphere creates some refractions, it would be invisible.

SplineGod
12-27-2005, 09:36 PM
You must be using an google earth 7.5 or earlier. What you are seeing is an opengl artifact. If you render it or use a newer version of google earth (8.5) you can see Newtek in opengl in realtime and with more accurate shadows. Your graphics card should also support opengl 2.0 as well.
Also make sure in the properties panel that you have "Show Newtek" and "Show Newteks Shadow" check marked. :)

LW_jackn
12-28-2005, 12:41 AM
ah Larry...

The man who set me on the course of spline patch modeling with his web tutorial years ago...

*nods*

;)

SplineGod
12-28-2005, 01:01 AM
Hey Jack,
Are you talking about the old tutorial done in html? That was a long time ago.
Hope it was helpful. :)
BTW I like your website. :)

Kurtis
12-28-2005, 07:34 AM
If you look at the two identical white buildings on the North side of the street, we are the building on the left.

LW_jackn
12-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Hey Jack,
Are you talking about the old tutorial done in html? That was a long time ago.
Hope it was helpful. :)
BTW I like your website. :)
Indeed it was...

;)

and thanks!

MikeK
12-28-2005, 11:45 AM
If you look at the two identical white buildings on the North side of the street, we are the building on the left.

With all the parking around the big building to the left of your office, it looks like they might snag up a lot of your parking spots.

Is traffic pretty bad in San Antonio during rush hour?

Thank You,
Mike Kuehn

JReble
12-28-2005, 11:45 AM
Man, awful boring building. Where's the Nazca, er...Newtek lines in the desert directing the alien craft to land there.

Zane Condren
12-28-2005, 01:13 PM
The building with the big parking lot is a car dealership. Traffic is not to bad during rush hour, it acutally flows rather nicely

LW_jackn
12-28-2005, 04:51 PM
Well Newtek...

You're not in Kansas anymore!

:D

zapper1998
12-28-2005, 05:54 PM
I can barely stop laughing long enough to type this... :twak:

Best laugh I have had in a long time.....

pauland
12-29-2005, 05:37 AM
Rumour has it that the true development facility is underground on a remote island. The only exit route the developers have is through an underground passage to a surface hatch. The hatch has no way in externally to protect the developers from outside interlopers.

When LW9 Beta is near completion they will light a fire and a column of black smoke will rise up from the island as a sign. All maya interlopers should leave the island at this point...

(perhaps I've had too much Xmas sherry..
..err too much Xmas Cheri might have been better.. ;-) )

AbnRanger
12-29-2005, 06:18 AM
What was that movie called...oh, less than a decade ago..."Stairs," I think...where this couple left people under the stairs to deteriorate. When found, they looked like zombies...
Actually, those were Newtek employees...Developers to be exact... in the final quarter before a new release...
The movie's producers filmed that basement scene on location at Newtek's facilities. Instead of hiring Hollywood actors they used the real thing...no props..no makeup. Saved a ton of money, they did. :D

faulknermano
12-29-2005, 06:36 AM
man! who's afraid of the big bad terrorist?

8/

lesterfoster
12-29-2005, 05:59 PM
These comments are humerus.

I rechecked the address that was on your --<Contact us Page>--. And typed it in again. GoogleEarth took me to the same empty field again.

So are you saying that the address on your website is wrong? Or is GoogleEarth wrong?
I am surprised that GoogleEarth was so far off.

I checked my address and GoogleEarth was off too. But it was only off by one building.. About 50 or 100 feet. Not 2000 or 3000 feet or more, like it was with NewTek’s address.

Is there any chance that some one from NewTek can provide me with the address of the building just off to the right of your building. And perhaps the building that is across the street from your building. I want to plug it into GoogleEarth and see where it takes me to.

Thanks

What was that movie called...oh, less than a decade ago..."Stairs," I think...where this couple left people under the stairs to deteriorate. When found, they looked like zombies... :D
Are you talking about the one where the couple kidnaped people to kill and chop up to feed to the people under the stairs?? And they had a big bad and mean dog? And they had lots of money hidden with those people that they kept under the stairs? And there house was built like a maze??

The name of that movie was The People Under the Stairs. It was a Wes Craven movie. It was released in 1991. That movie sent chills up my spine. I highly recommend it. I did not know however, that those people under the stairs were newtek employees

man! who's afraid of the big bad terrorist? 8/
I am not afraid of the terrorists. Because if they are using GoogleEarth. Than I know that they will miss there target.

AbnRanger
12-29-2005, 08:51 PM
Are you talking about the one where the couple kidnaped people to kill and chop up to feed to the people under the stairs?? And they had a big bad and mean dog? And they had lots of money hidden with those people that they kept under the stairs? And there house was built like a maze??

The name of that movie was The People Under the Stairs. It was a Wes Craven movie. It was released in 1991. That movie sent chills up my spine. I highly recommend it. I did not know however, that those people under the stairs were newtek employees.That's the one. I didn't realize it was that old though. Just kidding about the Newtek employees...with the tight deadlines like they are under, I bet they feel like zombies sometimes.

connerh
12-29-2005, 09:32 PM
Lester: I think he meant the one just to the right of that.

lesterfoster
12-30-2005, 06:22 AM
I am so confused :foreheads

Zane Condren
12-30-2005, 07:46 AM
Here you go!

Jim_C
12-30-2005, 07:49 AM
It's the only one with a helicopter pad and eerie :alien: corn field.

lesterfoster
12-31-2005, 02:53 PM
Thanks. I am not so confused now. I missed understood Kurtis message. I thought that he meant that it was the building to the left of those two white buildings. Not the left of the two white buildings. My mistake.

ThriJ
12-31-2005, 04:38 PM
Oh man you guys are hilarious…. Ok I am through laughing, I think.

Anyway here is a pic of :newtek: from the Ground:

Silkrooster
01-01-2006, 01:00 AM
Well at least Google had the right street. :D
Silk

LW_jackn
01-01-2006, 06:09 AM
Here guys...

This should help:

mikkowilson
01-01-2006, 09:05 AM
HAHAHAHA!

- Mikko

LW_jackn
01-02-2006, 06:49 PM
I must be getting older or something. I would have thought a lot more people would have caught on to that image hack?

Or is it just not that funny...

:(

lesterfoster
01-02-2006, 08:58 PM
I remember playing that game. It is from the late 80’s, or early 90's. It was a grate game. However the arcades in my area of town only had it for a short period of time. I have forgotten the name of it. Can you remind me?. And is it available on the PC?. I would like to try it again.

And yes. I thought that it was very funny. :) :cursin:

lesterfoster
01-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Anyway here is a pic of :newtek: from the Ground:

Thanks for the ground shot :thumbsup:

LW_jackn
01-02-2006, 09:20 PM
I have forgotten the name of it. Can you remind me?. And is it available on the PC?

Xevious

I have it on this arcade joystick thing I bought from Walmart, along with Galaga, Ms. Pacman, Pole Position and some others. (it plugs directly to the TV)

I know there are some emulators running around that have it to use on a PC.

;)

Wish someone had Moon Patrol, Defender, Burger Time, and Tail Gunner on one of these joystick thingies...

inquisitive
01-02-2006, 09:50 PM
I remember playing that game. It is from the late 80’s, or early 90's. It was a grate game. However the arcades in my area of town only had it for a short period of time. I have forgotten the name of it. Can you remind me?. And is it available on the PC?. I would like to try it again.

And yes. I thought that it was very funny. :) :cursin:

Was it Xevious? hehe i liked that game too..

lesterfoster
01-02-2006, 09:56 PM
joystick thing

OK. So how did you make that shot of you blowing up NewTEK’s building? Did you take a picture of your TV with a digital camera and transfer that to your computer? Than added in the shot from GoogleEarth?

Here is a link to a program that I used some years ago for playing all of those games.

http://www.mame.net/

I think that I just might download it again myself to play all of those classics.

PS. Thanks for the name of that game. :neener:

NanoGator
01-05-2006, 11:12 AM
You must be using an google earth 7.5 or earlier. What you are seeing is an opengl artifact. If you render it or use a newer version of google earth (8.5) you can see Newtek in opengl in realtime and with more accurate shadows. Your graphics card should also support opengl 2.0 as well.
Also make sure in the properties panel that you have "Show Newtek" and "Show Newteks Shadow" check marked. :)

Just a tip for some of you, I had to reset my configs to make this work. :devil:

DavidL
01-05-2006, 11:44 AM
Xevious

I have it on this arcade joystick thing I bought from Walmart, along with Galaga, Ms. Pacman, Pole Position and some others. (it plugs directly to the TV)

I have that product too and when I first played Pole Position I thought it was broke. I was moving it left and right but the car wasn't moving. Then I figured out that it was a twistable joystick; I guess they wanted to give you the real steering experience.

David

jeremyhardin
01-05-2006, 12:03 PM
I tried viewing it with Super-Newtek. Turns out I had to change my interface. Seems it was replaced by Multi-Newtek with 8.5. :D

lesterfoster
01-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Just a tip for some of you, I had to reset my configs to make this work. :Devil:

I tried viewing it with Super-Newtek. Turns out I had to change my interface. Seems it was replaced by Multi-Newtek with 8.5.

What is SplingGod talking about. I have reread his post, but I still don’t understand it.

SplineGod
01-05-2006, 08:54 PM
What is SplingGod talking about. I have reread his post, but I still don’t understand it.

Exactly! :)

archiea
01-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Where is NewTEK?

After finding where I live and seeing my car parked in the driveway. I started looking for the NewTek’s office. After plugging in the address for newtek. It took me to a empty field in Texas. But no building. So I am wandering where is newtek.

I don't know.. if you zoom up close enough, you can see duece and Kurtis sunbathing in the nude!!!!!http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/images/smilies/pukebig.gif

geothefaust
01-06-2006, 12:06 AM
Well, I went out on a limb... I bought a 3DLabs Realizm 100, just so I could turn on "Show Newtek" and "Show Newtek Shadows", options. I must say though, it was well worth the money.
:hijack:

Mha8649
01-07-2006, 06:13 AM
Rumour has it that the true development facility is underground on a remote island. The only exit route the developers have is through an underground passage to a surface hatch. The hatch has no way in externally to protect the developers from outside interlopers.

When LW9 Beta is near completion they will light a fire and a column of black smoke will rise up from the island as a sign. All maya interlopers should leave the island at this point...

(perhaps I've had too much Xmas sherry..
..err too much Xmas Cheri might have been better.. ;-) )

So thats what was in the hatch on lost. hmmmm now we know.