PDA

View Full Version : morphing between objects

vdoinart
12-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Does anyone know how to morph two different objects with different point counts? or a tutorial on how to do this? I went to 3d garage.com Dan talks about endomorphing and his book only mentions it breifly but not specific of what I am looking for. I have a G5 with LW 8.5.

prospector
12-29-2005, 04:01 PM
I did a short tut on this board about morphing a lizard to a human. I may have been on the old threads. Maby a search will help

prospector
12-29-2005, 04:16 PM
just searched and was on old thread, which is still located someplace cuz everyone refers to it, tho I know not where.

toonafish
12-29-2005, 05:18 PM
are these completely different objects or just 2 objects that basicly the same and could have the same amount of points and poly's ?

I ask this because if they are basicly the same objects that for some reason have been screwed up because more detail has been added or something like that, you can easily fix the point order by adding the same geometry to the object with less points and using "Mesh Reknitter"

prospector
12-29-2005, 05:37 PM
Ahh...old thread is now a sticky :) but alas no search.

basiclly,without going into great detail and posting pics (have to redo complete tut), it was that you start wit 1 object going from no morph to 100% morpf and second object going from 100% morph to 0% morph with each having morphs that bring it closer to the other in general shape.
the more 'tween' morphs you have the better the anim.

So a person would slowly be bent over, with nose getting longer and butt forming a tail, with arms and legs getting shorter. 0 to 100% morph
and second object going from half standing and shortened snout,stubby tail,long arms and legs to lizard on ground. 100 to 0% morph.
There were 5 'tween' morphs for each and a 2 frame 'replace object' by dissolve when transition between objects occured.

sallimac
12-29-2005, 08:06 PM
One way you could do this, depending on just how different the objects are would be to use your 2nd object as a 'mold' for the first. You could use bgconform or KO Pointfit to make the points on the first object try and conform to the points on the 2nd object. It wouldnt be perfect but could get you most of the way before tweaking the last parts by hand. :)

vdoinart
12-30-2005, 06:02 PM
the shapes are completely different from a football, to a golfball, and to a basketball. Each has different number of points and polys and textures.

I was playing with the morph tools, I think what you've suggested will work. I have the original object and pasted the other object in the second layer. then go back to the morph object and stretch and move the points to the shape of the second object.

In layout, I created a motion path for the flying morph object and change the color (using envelope) to look like the other object. I copy the motion path to the second object. render each differently. In FCP (or after effects) comp a dissolve both in the between tween of each object.

SplineGod
12-31-2005, 01:22 AM
For similar shapes like that it shouldnt be a problem. You can make a single object and
simply morph from a football shape to a sphere which would work for the golfball and basketball.
For the surface you can create the 3 different surfaces (football, golfball and basketball) and blend between them quite easily using the surfmix shader. :)