PDA

View Full Version : Help I want to delete a surface

gary3d
12-23-2005, 12:41 AM
I cannot delete a surface that I want to. I created a surface, then later I realized I had the wrong group of polygons in this surface name. I then made a new surface with the correct polygons and I can find no way to delete the old surface in surface editor. Please help! :help:[IMG]

Traveler
12-23-2005, 02:21 AM
Good question. I have found no other way than to save the project, clear the scene en reload it again.
Surely there must be another way of doing this?

Surrealist.
12-23-2005, 11:00 PM
Select those polygons again and assign them the correct surface. Or you could assign them back to default if you are still building surfaces. Or you could have hit undo or simply keept that surface name and used it for the correct polys.

Either way surfaces can be confusing but the simple way they work is to just select polys and assign a surface - which you know. Point is, that is all there is ever to it. There is no deleting a surface. Just reassigning. ALL polys must have a surface assigned even if the "default" surface, which modeler does when you create them.

As the post above points out at the end of a session any surface names still unassigned to polys will vanish. Seems to be the way I remember it.

Tiger
12-24-2005, 01:35 AM
Shift+leftklick on the T will remove some of it :)

colkai
12-24-2005, 03:01 AM
Aye, all of the above is true, but until such time as you clear modeller, any unused surface will remain in the list.
I've always thought it would be a nice little tweak to be able to delete an unused surface from the list. Mind you, by creating unused surface by reassigning surfaces, you can use the unused ones as temporary storage for other surfaces if you want to tweak them but not lose you original setting, without the need to create a preset.

cgbloke2004
12-24-2005, 03:18 AM
Mind you, by creating unused surface by reassigning surfaces, you can use the unused ones as temporary storage for other surfaces if you want to tweak them but not lose you original setting, without the need to create a preset.
which is precisely what i do...

cresshead
12-24-2005, 04:14 AM
new capabilities for lw 9.......?

clear surface
clear image from image editor list
preview image before loading up into image editor [thumbnail]

colkai
12-24-2005, 04:37 AM
Nice ideas cresshead, it's little things like this that can push the workflow for people.
Granted they are not "show-stopping" features, but they sure can make day-to-day life easier. :)

cresshead
12-24-2005, 04:47 AM
hiya...just posted a load of feature requests for lw9 in that specific thread...mainly from ideas for other s/ware such as max, bryce, xsi and poser.

also i'm racking my brain for NEW features than no other app has.....that would make lightwave 9+ be a LEADER not a follower :thumbsup:

Verlon
12-24-2005, 07:35 AM
*imagines thes excitement over the "delete surface" video.

Seriously, it would be a good idea. I have found myself wanting this before also.

NormJ
12-24-2005, 10:22 AM
You can essentially delete a surface by renaming the surface you don't want to the name you want for the next surface you create. Just click on the Rename button in the Surface Editor and enter the new name.