PDA

View Full Version : Save Incrementally to be more "incremental"

Nitisara
12-22-2005, 10:33 PM
I suggest that "Save Incrementally" will respect already existing files.
For example, if I already have files:
Scene_v123.lws
Scene_v124.lws
Scene_v125.lws

and open Scene_v123.lws and save it incrementally, it should save it as "Scene_v126.lws", not as "Scene_v124.lws" (as it currently happens).

Silkrooster
12-22-2005, 11:03 PM
Or atleast a pop up asking if you want to save over an existing file or continue with next number in sequence.
Silk

prospector
12-23-2005, 02:53 AM
I would think that if you go back in the incraments then you'd want to branch into a different set like sceneA_ver123, and start a new set so it's easier to remember where each set starts.
That way you wont be loading scenes looking for the change...now was that new scene ver 125,126,127 or 124??

Nitisara
12-23-2005, 03:12 AM
It is not a question of starting new scene sequence. It is a question of solid interface.
I use this incremental save feature not to distinguish between different scenes, but as a "save game", i.e. to be sure that when I save, I have all previous versions intact.
Now if I roll back to some previous save (what is normal) and if I forget that I rolled back (what is typical after some time of working), when I continue incrementally save I unintentionally overwrite later saves.
Now what happens? Two situations:
1) If I am happy with my new modifications, but made less saves than I already incrementally made previously, then I have latest version "buried alive" somewhere among incremental saves. It is not dramatic, but can be misleading.
2) If I am not happy with my new modifications, I want to come back to my last saves, but they are already overwritten. This is worse.

MentalFish
01-28-2006, 07:11 PM
Hi guys, for some reason I managed to make an LScript today that does that, but also one more thing. For each time you save, you keep working on the original file while the increment is saved in a folder. You can download it from this thread:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45124

Please feel free to improve on it share with the rest of us.

Nitisara
01-28-2006, 10:48 PM
thank you!